CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2016-2020 > 2017 Reading Stats discussion

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3663 comments Mod
hi all - thanks for the reminder @Allison! here is a spot to discuss our reading stats. Did you meet your goals? How many Canadian books were you able to read? What other stats do you collect that are important to you. I know that we have a few more days left in 2017 but know we all enjoyed this discussion last year.

message 2: by Diane (last edited Dec 22, 2017 05:28PM) (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 374 comments Ok, I'll start. Presuming I will finish the three I'm reading at the moment:
Total books 101
Did Not Finish: 1

Canadian 58.4% 59
US 19.8% 20
UK 13
Australia 3
India 1
Sweden 2
Norway 2 (both Jo Nesbo)

Male 38.6% 39
Female 61.4% 62
Fiction 96 95.0%
Non Fiction 5 5.0%

My Canadian author reading has grown so much since I started hanging out here! I'll never be 100% Canadian but I certainly have found some wonderful new favourite authors that are Canadian and some amazing hidden gems. I'm also trying to read some of the classic Canadian authors so will look forward to using Farley Mowatt more than once for the 2018 Bingo and across Canada challenges.

message 3: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1290 comments Is there somewhere on GoodReads where we can go find stats other than # of books read?

message 4: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1290 comments Last year I read 122 books but this year I'm only up to 112 right now. I'll have a few more to add before the year is out but I won't make 122. It's funny I was looking at the yearly comparisons and I'm usually over 100 books every year except in 2014 and 2011 and those years are years where I kept a puppy from my litters, lol. I'm suppose to get a puppy next year so I guess I should expect my reading goals to dip in 2018.

The other goal I'm proud of in 2017 was reading one short story per day. I really enjoyed it and hope to continue that trend. But my main goal for 2018 will be reading Proust.

message 5: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 775 comments @Diane, I'm impressed with your breakdown!

This year, I set a really low goal of 65 and I'm almost doubled that, currently at 128. The reason for the jump was definitely because I started listening to audiobooks this year, 48 in total. So if I subtracted those, then my paper book count is about the same as last year (80 this year compared to 72 the year before).
If my rough counting is right, I read 23 books written by Canadian authors.

I don't have a specific goal for 2018. I read for pleasure. If I set really specific goals, it would be like work and I definitely don't need that :) Overall, I just LOVE hanging out with my fellow bookish peeps here as I keep finding out new books/lists to put on my TBR, LOL!

message 6: by Louise (last edited Dec 22, 2017 07:35PM) (new)

Louise | 1290 comments 128 books is awesome May! Yeah, audiobooks really gives us a chance to read so many more books! It has more than doubled the books I can manage to read in a year.

I did a hand count and of my 114 books this year (if I include two I'm reading now), 43 are by Canadian authors, 25 by people of color, and 11 by Indigenous authors. Only 2 were in French. There is some overlap there of course. I think I need to increase all of these categories.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 774 comments This is the first year I’ve tracked my stats as I finish books, and it’s been interesting. Diane, I’m impressed by your Canadian percentage. Despite good intentions, U.S. authors still dominate my stats. I was so upset by this that I’ve been reading international for Nov and Dec as much as possible. One of my goals for 2018 is U.S. authors at 50% or lower, but I know that will be a challenge.

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 488 comments I've read 73 books so far this year. I've mostly read these books on my commute to and from work.
I did one audio book this year but had a hard time with it. I think I'll stick to listening to cbc radio 2 while I making dinner
:)

message 9: by Petra (new)

Petra | 725 comments Like Louise, I'd like to know if there's somewhere on Goodreads to see additional stats.

So far this year, I've read 81 books (28,719 pages).
The shortest book was 69 pages long (The Wizard of Oz); the longest was 3,365 pages long (Proust).

5-star: 19 (that's a lot of 5-star books for me to rate. I'm either getting softer or have read a lot of really good books this year)
4-star: 16
3-star: 26
2-star: 15
1-star: 3

Last year I read 94 books (29,523 pages). Proust slowed me down a little or I had less reading time. Either is possible and either way I'm happy with this year's reading.

Louise, I will stand by your side during your reading of Proust. A new puppy will be a good foil for this read.

message 10: by Mj (last edited Dec 23, 2017 12:42PM) (new)

Mj Everyone’s stats are very impressive. It’s not surprising however. Anyone who follows our Friday Spine Crackers regularly has probably noticed what voracious and selective readers we have in this group.

Based on projections for my own reading for the balance of 2017, below is where I expect to end up in 2017. Overall, I was successful in achieving most of my goals but fell short in a few categories.

My pages read will be on target but the # of books read will fall short as I read longer books and not as many shorter holiday books and illustrated books this year.

My % of Canadian authors was very high and included some great reads but unfortunately it was at the expense of authors from other countries. I hope to get these %’s rebalanced next year as I’ve missed the perspective of reading more globally.

Most of my other categories were on target but my % of non-fiction books was lower than the goal I’d set and my debut novels % was much higher for the second year in a row. It turns out that I really enjoy reading the first books of established authors as well as discovering new authors.

Achievements are stated and not bracketed. Goals are in (brackets).

# of Pages Read - 102% at 24,385 (24,000)
# of Books read - 92% at 96 (104)

# of Canadian Authors - 70% (30%)
# of U.S. Authors - 13% (40%)
# of Other or ROW (Rest of World) Authors - 17% (30%)

# of Female Authors - 59% (50%)
# POC Authors - 31% (30%)
# Indigenous Authors - 18% (15%)
# LGBTQ Authors - 10% (10%)
# Debut Authors - 28% (10%)

# Fiction Books - 80% (75%)
# Non-Fiction Books - 20% (25%)

Average Rating 3.77

Based on Goodreads’ 5 star rating method:

# of 5 star reads - 3 books or 3%
Ragged Company (2nd Read), Embers: One Ojibway's Meditations and Funny Boy

# of 4 star reads - 65% (ranging from 3 1/2 to 4 1/2)
# of 3 star reads - 32% (ranging from 3 1/2 to 2 1/2)

I got a bit slowed down by a busy life in the last quarter of the year.....but all in all I had an enjoyable year of reading and look forward to the same in 2018.

message 11: by Story (last edited Dec 23, 2017 05:03PM) (new)

Story (storyheart) I'm so impressed that you all have stats on your reading. I haven't kept detailed totals like that but here are some that I do know:

Canadian books represented about 10% of my overall reading and books in translation another 10%.

About 60% of my books are by women and about 88% is fiction, including novellas and short story collections.

Most of the fiction that isn't Canadian is British, Australian, South African and Australian. I didn't read much US fiction this year but two of the American novels did make my top 5 list.

I didn't add any new titles to my favourites list this year but did re-read quite a few old favs. including Not Wanted On The Voyage, Alias Grace and Lolly Willowes

Like Mj, my average rating was 3.7

message 12: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1908 comments I love reading this thread!

I'm determined to finish up one more book before Dec 29 (when I get on a plane with my BFF of 40 years to go see Billy Joel in concert for New Year's -- kid free!) and so I'll wait til then to post. I've been keeping pretty tight stats on goals and % achieved, which I've found helpful because the running totals help guide my next reads, to hit goals -- ie: I've been reading outside North America authors for the past month just to make up for the low %age through the year.

Back in a few days....!

message 13: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Dec 25, 2017 01:07PM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1756 comments Oooh! I love stat time!

Total books: 122 out of a goal of 100

Female authors 65% (79 books)
Male authors 35% (43 books)

American authors 47% (57 books)
Canadian authors 29% (36 books)
British authors 15% (18 books)
Other 9% (11 books - 2 Australia, 1 Brazil, 1 Netherlands, 1 Philippines, 1 France, 2 Germany, 1 Ireland, 1 Pakistan, 1 Russia)

Fiction 93% (114 books)
Non fiction 7% (8 books)

Published before 1950 6% (7 books)
Published 1950-1999 15% (18 books)
Published 2000-2015 46% (56 books)
Published 2016-2017 33% (41 books)

Audiobook 52% (63 books)
Print/eBook 48% (59 books)

message 14: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1908 comments For 2017, I had a few goals:

1) Complete BINGO with mostly Canadian authors.
DONE -- 80% Canadian

2) Read all Canada Reads shortlisted books before debates.
DONE

3) Do an Author Run of 3-4 books in a row by the same author
DONE -- but with Nick Bantock books, so it's kinda cheating, because they're all really short.

4) Participate in 4-5 monthly group book reads with this group.
FAIL -- only did The Break and Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History

5) Participate in 3-4 monthly challenges with this group.
FAIL -- only did Black History Month and Canada Reads

6) Read 15-20% authors from outside North America
DONE -- just, at 16%. Other countries include: Australia, India, Trinidad, Kenya, Tanzania, Ireland, Germany, England, France, Italy

7) The GoodReads goal I set was 60 books.
I read only 57, but I don't really feel bad about this, as it was pretty arbitrary when I set that number anyway... However, it's a bit down from last year, which really is explained by a busy and taxing fall.

Here's the breakdown:

Canadian Authors: 44%
USA Authors: 40%
Authors from Outside North America: 16%

Authors of Colour: 29%

Female Authors: 47%
Male Authors: 53%

Fiction: 70%
Non-Fiction: 30%

Audiobooks: 56%

My average rating was 3.8*

message 15: by Rainey (last edited Dec 29, 2017 07:28AM) (new)

Rainey | 695 comments So here is the breakdown for me:

My Goodreads Goal was 85 books and I read 125 Books

Status

Male: 26% (32 total)
Female: 74 % (93 total)

White: 68% (85 total)
Non-White: 32% (40 total)

Canadian: 22% (28 total)
American: 61 % (76 total)
Europe & ROW: 14% (18 total)
Latin American: 2% (3 total)

Fiction: 83% (104 books)
Non Fiction: 15% (21 books)

Audio Fic: 14% (18 listened to)
Audio NF: 5% (6 listened to)

message 16: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1290 comments Wow, I'm impressed with everyone's stats here. So I fine-combed my list to get better stats and here they are.

In 2017 I read 116 books.

56 by women (48%)
58 by men (50%)
2 mix of both (2%)

60 audiobooks (52%)
41 ebooks (35%)
15 in print (13%)

80 fiction (69%)
20 short story collections (17%)
8 non-fiction (7%)
6 memoirs (5%)
1 book of poetry (1%)
1 graphic novel (1%)

44 written by Canadians (38%)
25 written by People of Color (22%)
10 written by Indigenous People (9%)
2 written in French (2%)

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan | 774 comments I've finished my final book for 2017, so here are my stats.

110 books read

Female author: 59%
Male: 40%
Both: 1%

Author from USA: 52%
Canada: 29%
UK: 13%
Rest of world (Ireland, Australia, Nigeria, Pakistan): 6%

Author who is white: 65%
Non-white: 35%

Fiction: 73%
Nonfiction: 27%

message 18: by ❀ Susan (new)

I did not meet my reading goal of 125 books this year but sometimes life gets in the way. I did read 106 books including:

63 Canadian (59%)
58 female (55%)
48 male (45%)
7 by indigenous authors (~7%)

24 audio (23%)
7 short story collections (~7%)
27 non-fiction (25%)
1 book of poetry
9 holiday reads

Happy to have finished my BINGO card today with 100% Canadian authors and looking forward to reading more Canada in 2018!!

message 19: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1290 comments @Susan, that's a nice high percentage of Canadian!

message 20: by ❀ Susan (new)

thanks @Louise, BINGO and the Cross-Canada challenge sure help with that!

message 21: by Wanda (last edited Jan 01, 2018 08:33AM) (new)

Wanda | 566 comments I admire everyone's reading progress in 2017! I made it just under the wire to meet my goal of 75 books as of 11:30 p.m. last night...

Here are some of my stats:

Female 45 books- 60%
Male 30 books- 40%

Canadian authors: 32 books- 43%
U.S. authors: 24 books- 32%
UK authors: 15 books- 20%
Other (Australia, France, Sweden, Africa): 4 books- 5%

Fiction: 58 books- 78%
Non-Fiction: 17 books- 22%

Indigenous books- (all Canadian authors) 8- 10%

Short stories- 3 books
Audiobooks- 6 books

message 22: by Barbara (last edited Jan 03, 2018 01:48PM) (new)

Barbara McEwen (babsbookobsession) | 226 comments Ok, did some tallying. You guys have an impressive number of Canadian books!

Total books 142 - took out some of the kids books and cookbooks I had to review on Goodreads since I don't really think they count.
Female: 56%
Male: 44%
Canada: 32% - a bit lower than I would like
US: 39% - a bit higher than I would like
Other countries 32% - don't add up to 100% since I have some collections with authors from around the world
LGBTQ: 10% - not that I am quizzing anyone, lol
Indigenous or POC: 27%

Not bad over all. I think my US gets a little higher than I would like since the audiobooks available at my library are really skewed to US authors. Maybe we just don't make as many audiobooks?

message 23: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 437 comments how do you get these detailed stats?

GR shows me the longest and shortest book, thats all

message 24: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 695 comments Magdelanye wrote: "how do you get these detailed stats?

GR shows me the longest and shortest book, thats all"

I keep a spreadsheet of all of the stats that i quoted.

message 25: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1908 comments Me too! Spreadsheet that I keep updated throughout the year.

message 26: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 437 comments I've heard of spreadsheets:-) I have no idea how they are compiled.
My total books says i read 256 books but one book I added was read in the 60s and GR is not recognizing that.
I am really curious about my stats ( for the first time in my life: I'm a person who distrust statistics)