Start by marking “Funny Boy” as Want to Read:
Funny Boy

Funny Boy

In the world of his large family, affluent Tamils living in Colombo, Arjie is an oddity, a 'funny boy' who prefers dressing as a girl to playing cricket with his brother.

In FUNNY BOY we follow the life of the family through Arjie's eyes, as he comes to terms both with his own homosexuality and with the racism of the society in which he lives. In the north of Sri Lanka the
Published 1997 by Harvest (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Funny Boy, please sign up.
Yvonne Blackwood I don't regard the narration as overly unrealistic; as one other reader states, the mother used him for cover. What I found a tad out of place was tha…moreI don't regard the narration as overly unrealistic; as one other reader states, the mother used him for cover. What I found a tad out of place was that he was always able to eavesdrop without being caught whenever something juicy was occurring!(less)

Start your review of Funny Boy
Sean Barrs
This is a book about a gay Sri Lankan boy. He falls in love and realises his sexuality.

I wonder how many people stopped reading my review after that first line. I can’t judge, this is a book I would never have picked up and read by my own choice. It’s was on one of my university modules, so there was no escaping it for me. Surprisingly, I actually quite enjoyed reading it as I have done with all postcolonial texts I’ve come across.

Gender is socially constructed and socially enforced; it’s also
Khush
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Funny Boy is a moving account of a young boy coming to terms with his being 'funny'– slowly recognizing that he is different- that he loves men, that he is gay. Even though the story is set in Sri Lanka, the funny boy's experiences resonate with any young gay boy who grew up elsewhere in the Indian Subcontinent. Of course, there are moments in this boy's story that most gay men will recognize as there own, no matter where they come from.

I give this book such a high rating because it is a well-wr
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Maybe a 3.5/5? I can't decide
Megan Baxter
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I believe I read Selvadurai's second book first, and am now reading his first book second. Not that they need to be read in any order, but I'm wondering about his progression as an author. Also, is there a third? Because I liked Funny Boy more than Cinnamon Gardens. And looking it up, looks like yes, there are more of his books to explore.

In the m
Sandhya
Jul 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Personal, heart-felt and deeply emotional, Funny Boy is an outright masterpiece. The best thing about the novel is its simple, innocent and poignant narrative...one of the most passionate and intense books I've ever read.
Pinky
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad that I got a chance to read this book. This novel was chosen by my teacher for us to read for an assignment. I should be working on the assignment right now, but it's been awhile since I wrote a book review. I loved this book so much and I am relieved to have read another book. I'm in a huge reading slump and this book might've gotten me out of it. I learned so many things and it was easy to relate to.

"Yet those Sundays, when I was seven, marked the beginning of my exile from t
·Karen·
Jul 11, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canada
There's no accounting for taste. This book was pressed on me with the highest praise, and a lot of reviews here mention the exquisite writing. But what is exquisite about this? The narrator, Arjie has been informed that he is to go to the Academy where his older brother is already a student. His own displeasure at the idea turns to dread when his brother gives him a friendly warning not to provoke the head teacher by doing anything sinful like blinking or licking his lips in his presence. "The r ...more
ducky
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to understand the softer side of the problems in Sri Lanka
I love this book! It reminded me of little things from my childhood in Colombo…things I am slowing forgetting as I get older. Things like calling a wardrobe an almariah, like going to school in a uniform and coming home for lunch, like all the silly nicknames kids gifted - or maybe cursed - each other with, (ie: Diggy nose and Her Fatness) and even the make-believe games we used to play since we didn’t have all the entertaining toys that kids nowadays have. I also admire how the author is able t ...more
Mahima
May 31, 2017 added it
"The difference within me that I sometimes felt I had, that had brought me so much confusion, whatever this difference, it was shared by Shehan. I felt amazed that a normal thing - like my friendship with Shehan - could have such powerful and hidden possibilities."

"Right and wrong, fair and unfair had nothing to do with how things really were. I thought of Shehan and myself. What had happened between us in the garage was not wrong. For how could loving Shehan be bad? [...] It had to do with who
Pechi
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5

Queer adolescence meets the beginnings of a civil war in this exquisite book, interweaving the story of Sri Lanka's civil war with the self-realization of a teenager beginning to grow comfortable with his sexuality. These two unlikeliest of themes fuse together in such a brilliant fashion that the resultant novel is an absolute stunner! Queer novels from the Indian subcontinent are so rare, and one so effortlessly accomplished that also deals with another issue close to my heart - the Sri Lan
Ravi Gangwani
It was the story of small boy in Sri Lanka, who lives in family of mother, father, siblings and surrounded by his extended family and how his life changes as per political scenario of the country. How they forced to leave the country and go to Canada. Here is the pattern in which this book goes :

First 1/6th of book was - childhood time games of 7 year kid.
Second 1/6th of the book was - Life of an Tamil aunt who falls in love with a Sinhalese man.
Third 1/6th of the book - Death of the mother's fo
Renita D'Silva
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and heartbreaking. Loved this book.
Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: school
This book sets up an interesting series of observed relationships that culminate first in Arjie's sexual awakening and then his political (or apolitical) awakening around the time of the civil war in Sri Lanka. The stories of the forbidden love and the politically-troubled relationships he observes as a child bear closely on the choices he makes in his relationship with Shehan. He sees his family constantly pushing against the social expectations of a Tamil family and is brought into danger by t ...more
Dusty Myers
The only thing this collection of stories (billed as a novel, but no way) adds to the coming-out genre is its setting: the Sri Lankan Civil War. This is probably enough. Probably, we should have variants of the coming-out novel in every possible culture of the world. But for someone who's about waist-deep in coming out novels these days, Funny Boy has so little to offer.

And the writing, despite claims from the blurbs in the back, is not exquisite; is, in fact, never very creative or beautiful. "
Liz
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5
Rima
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What comes across as a normal depiction of Tamil life injected with the humour of a boy who enjoys dressing up with his cousin sisters quickly turns into a haunting escalation of Sinhalese-Tamil violence wrapped around Arjie's growing awareness of his homosexuality. Regarding him and his country Sri Lanka, the very concept of 'normal' is questioned and how they have changed forever is explored.
A great read that starts funny and ends ominously. As Arjie grew, his innocence is overshadowed by his
Tavleen Kaur
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funny Boy by Shyam Selvadurai is set during the Sri Lankan riots. In the middle of this setting, the protagonist Arjie grows up and discovers his sexuality. This book flew by and I wish it was longer. While I liked learning more about the situation in Sri Lanka, I would have loved to read more of Arjie's story. Still, I absolutely loved reading this. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a coming-of-age story.
Kriti Samidi
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Funny Boy - a friend was reading it for her Gender Studies class - and I immediately got hooked onto it. It's the story of a young boy who is slowly coming to terms with how different he is from the other boys of his age. The story is told through his eyes and we are sympathetic to the things he face and make space for his thoughts throughout the book. While this has been quite a good story about the 'funny boy', it also becomes yet another tale of displacement in the face of riots and violence ...more
Moshe Mikanovsky
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was registered to take a Creative Writing class at the University of Toronto with Shyam Selvadurai as the instructor, so I found it interesting to read his book before the class started. Unfortunately, that class was canceled (now I am taking it with another teacher), but I still enjoyed reading the book. I debated a bit between 3 to 4 stars. Somewhere in the middle of the book, the writing becomes a bit tedious, with the narrator (a 12 y/o at that point of the book) happen to always be taken ...more
Calder
May 23, 2010 rated it liked it
I actually glanced at the beginning of this book and thought, "Oh, god, another coming out story, nicely written, but nothing very profound or very different and put it aside. Then I saw the reviews of the book on this website and became more interested in the political aspects of the novel that I hadn't known about and I'm going to give it a second chance. Let's see what happens.

Well, I should have trusted my first impression. Although the political background of the novel added some dimension,
Ariel Uppstrom
Sep 09, 2010 rated it liked it
This was an interesting book. It was really cool to learn about Sri Lanka and the culture and lifestyles of the people. I also am always drawn to stories of gay young people in foreign countries who experience a different understanding of their sexuality.

I didn't like how most of the story was about other people, not the main character and his situations. Only 2 parts were really focused on his life and problems while the rest was about other people in his family or friends. It just didn't seem
Travis
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, 2009
When adults say Arjie is "funny", he knows they don't mean it in any way he's familiar with the word. It's not until he's fourteen and falling in love with his best friend that he realizes what they meant and why he's always felt different. Set in Sri Lanka during the '70s and '80s, the book also deals with the racial tensions at the time, as Arjie becomes more and more aware of the growing conflict the older he gets.[return][return]This is not a young adult book, but rather a book about childre ...more
Kartika
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Set in the 1980s Colombo, Funny boy is a queer historical fiction telling the story of the gruesome acts perpetuated against Srilankan Tamils and the revenge that manifested in the form of the Liberation Tigers of the Tamil Eelam during those times. The story is told from Arjie's perspective. If I could divide the book into 5 parts, I would and I would say that each part has a different story attached to it. The first part is Arjie coming to terms with the fact that he is different from the othe ...more
Ananya M
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this book for my gender studies class, it’s a very easy read. Not in terms of subject, but in terms of writing it definitely is.
It’s about a boy, Arjie (Arjun) who starts to come to terms with his sexuality, but with the backdrop of politically charged Sri Lanka in the 80’s. It starts with him identifying more with ‘girlish’ games, a fascination with makeup, playing the bride in the ‘bride-bride’ game that all kids play, and it progresses into him understanding that he is attracted to bo
Krishna Sruthi Srivalsan
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Arjun Chelvaratnam (or Arjie as his mother calls him) has some tendencies which alarm his family - preferring to play 'bride-bride' over cricket, keeping himself to his books, his father fears that he will turn out 'funny'. Shyam Selvadurai takes us through Arjie's journey set in 1980s Sri Lanka, full of racial strife and on the brink of civil war.

There are six chapters, each of which reads like a short story on its own. Arjie's world is filled with araliya flowers, Chopsticks on the piano, end
Aali Hashim
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5

this book was not what i expected, and i feel like the ending was abrupt and weirdly rushed, but i did enjoy reading it.
Christine Gaza
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I think the premise is good but I had a hard time connecting to anyone but Radha Aunty. I think if there was MORE of progression of age in Arjie, I would have liked it better. But I was kind of bored.
Gayatri Saikia   | per_fictionist
~"FUNNY BOY" by Shyam Selvadurai is narrated as six tales Arjie's life.
~ Selvadurai manages to touch a number of subject in each tale like the curious mind of our teenage protagonist Arjie, the plight of the Tamils in the communal riots of SriLanka, the tension between the Tamils and Sinhalese etc.
~In "PIGS DON'T FLY" Arjie, is deemed as a Funny Boy because he prefers playing BRIDE games with his girl cousins instead of cricket like the other boys of his age do.
~The second tale is where the situ
Kajree Gautom
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a heartwarming book. Set in the backdrop of the Tamil - Sri Lanka riots, with hints of LGBTQ and youth, this book is a must read. I loved the 4 different stories that followed and absolutely adored Arjie.
The author wrote every story with such honesty and emotions, it made me want to cry.
Loved this book and I'm glad I picked it up for Pride month 🌈

• A Question of Power
  • Kanthapura
  • Reef
  • The Duchess of Malfi
Shyam Selvadurai is a Sri Lankan-Canadian novelist who wrote Funny Boy (1994), which won the Books in Canada First Novel Award, and Cinnamon Gardens (1998). He currently lives in Toronto with his partner Andrew Champion.

Selvadurai was born in Colombo, Sri Lanka to a Sinhalese mother and a Tamil father--members of conflicting ethnic groups whose troubles form a major theme in his work. Ethnic riots