Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2018-01 - Read in 2017 - What will YOU read?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2826 comments Mod
Klela is our shelf picker for January and she picked a very interesting shelf, Read in 2017. To quote her, "What better way to say goodbye to the old year and say hello to the new one?". I love this idea and am not sure what to expect from this shelf, but I'm sure that there will be something there for everyone.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2826 comments Mod
So - I looked at my list of books slated for January and am happy to say that I found almost every one of them on the Read in 2017 shelf, and that is just because I quit looking. Here is a sample of the ones that I have to read:

The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz
The Leavers by Lisa Ko
The Alienist by Caleb Carr
Rapture in Death by J.D. Robb
Before Evil by Alex Kava
The Party by Elizabeth Day
The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin | 801 comments I don't know how may I will read, but I am already planning to read the first book on that list and it's in my library book pile right now. The Hate U Give

message 4: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Lots of books here from my TBR so I'm sure I'll find something!

message 5: by Rosemary (last edited Dec 26, 2017 02:05AM) (new)

Rosemary | 848 comments I have:

Artemis by Andy Weir (if it comes in for me at the library in Jan)
My Brilliant Friend by Elena Farrante
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

Also some others on my TBR, but those are the two three I'm most likely to read.

message 6: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1398 comments I think I will read The Invisible Library, which I also had planned for Bookopoly. I'm looking forward to reading this book!

message 7: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8675 comments Mod
Lyn (Readinghearts) wrote: "The Alienist by Caleb Carr"

On my LOST list! I may start with this; it'll be a good kick start for that challenge lol

message 8: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 600 comments Rosemary wrote: "I have:

Artemis by Andy Weir (if it comes in for me at the library in Jan)
My Brilliant Friend by Elena Farrante
The Husband's Secret by [author:Lia..."

I really enjoyed Artemis

message 9: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 600 comments I think I will read
A Court of Thorns and Roses
The Woman in Cabin 10

there were a lot on this list that I would like to read.

message 10: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4656 comments Mod
Here's my considerations for this shelf:

Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis
Lincoln in the Bardo
City of Bones
The Nightingale
The Golden Compass

All are planned for other challenges, so I should get at least one read. At least that is my thinking...:)

message 11: by Dee (last edited Dec 29, 2017 06:13AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments my plans (I think)

The Girl on the Train - fits into Wheel of Bookshelves
Astrophysics for People in a Hurry - if it comes in at the library (i've had it on hold for a couple of months)
Rebecca - fits into Wheel of Bookshelves (as well as SRC)

message 12: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4656 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry - if it comes in at the library (i've had it on hold for a couple of months."

Dee, this one is also on my TBR. I'll be interested in your take on it, if you read it.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments i've heard good things about it from ppl in the audiobook group on GR

message 14: by LynnB (last edited Dec 30, 2017 08:10AM) (new)

LynnB | 1642 comments I used to read something from the chosen shelf every month, but got away from it. A goal for 2018 is to get back to doing this .... so ...

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
Beartown by Fredrik Backman

message 15: by CluckingBell (new)

CluckingBell | 327 comments Probably most things I might read in January are on that shelf, but I'll formally commit to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, since it's on the first page of shelf results and I'm getting close to the audiobook on my library's holds list.

message 16: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3113 comments What a fun shelf :)

I will read Throne of Glass

message 17: by Christina (new)

Christina Byrne (cmbyrne87) | 160 comments I'm going to read Three Dark Crowns.

message 18: by Mell (new)

Mell (mellrouvray) | 145 comments I just checked a few of the books I intend to read this month and some are on this shelf:
Firefly Lane
Water for Elephants
Blood Laws

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments Bea wrote: "Dee wrote: "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry - if it comes in at the library (i've had it on hold for a couple of months."

Dee, this one is also on my TBR. I'll be interested in ..."

well, I feel like an idiot - I didn't think to check Hoopla for Astrophysics for People in a Hurry...its so much better than overdrive because no wait lists - and voila its on my iphone

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3449 comments Mod
I'm so far behind on everything, and so late posting here that I've already read one without realizing it: Orphan Train.

What I'm hoping to read -- though it's hard to choose from so many good possibilities -- are:
The Woman in Cabin 10
Turtles All the Way Down
The Sky is Everywhere

message 21: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments CluckingBell wrote: "Probably most things I might read in January are on that shelf, but I'll formally commit to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, since it's on the first page of shelf results and I..."

Is this your first time reading/listening? The narration by Jim Dale is superb!

message 22: by CluckingBell (new)

CluckingBell | 327 comments D.G. wrote: "Is this your first time reading/listening? The narration by Jim Dale is superb!"

Yes, I loved Jim Dale('s magical voice) on "Pushing Daisies," so I figured the audiobooks would be the way to go, though the waitlists are quite long.

message 23: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Great shelf! - I have several of the books on my TBR, and will read at least one of:

The Dry
The Alice Network
News of the World
Orphan Train

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

This is an excellent list! I have chosen 4 that I would really like to get to:-

Milk and Honey
Big Little Lies
Ready Player One
Into the Water

message 25: by Cindy (last edited Jan 29, 2018 07:56AM) (new)

Cindy When one signs up for GR you're prompted to enter books you've read at any point. So you rack your brain and check them off. Then as you participate, you run into others you've read in the past and add them. (I've stopped doing that, though, as it confuses the algorithm) I tried to solve this by adding a "read more than 10 years ago" shelf but the site keeps sending me messages to add read date to these entries. Who knows when I read them; I just remember I have. I imagine this happens with other members and this kind of skews the list, but I suppose the tilt toward more recent books in the "read in 2017" shelf shows it is not a fatal flaw. I have not read a whole lot from this shelf bc of my tendency to just read books I can pick up on the Half Price Books bargain shelves or at the yearly library book sales. I will add to my TBR A Gentleman in Moscow bc it was one of my book club's selections last year but I didn't read it then as I had others going that I was enjoying at the time. (If all else fails, I will get it from library although not my preferred as I tend to forget to renew.) I have read some on the read in 2017 shelf already, of course, and will add any I find there from my latest HP bookstore haul to the TBR. Stay tuned.
I agree with D.G. and Cluckingbell: Jim Dale does terrific narration. On the Harry Potter series, he created such spot on renditions of each character! I listened to these when they first came out on my daily work commute at the time (45 min each way)