Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Display of Book Series in 'My Books'

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben Walker (bendywalker) | 17 comments Don't know how to word this in a clear way, but I'm wondering: Why do some books in "My Books" display the series they belong to in brackets next to the name of the book, and some don't? I'm specifically referring to the titles in the list itself, not when you drill into a book's details page.

For example, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban does not display (Harry Potter #3) in the My Books list whilst Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire displays (Harry Potter #4).

Personally, I prefer books not to display their series in the My Books list. It feels like unnecessary information in that context, but would prefer consistency one way or another above all else.

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments That is because that edition of Azkaban does not have the series title in the title field, and that edition of Goblet does.

Ben wrote: "Personally, I prefer books not to display their series in the My Books list. It feels like unnecessary information in that context, but would prefer consistency one way or another above all else."

Most readers of series seem to prefer to see the series title in their My Books, so they can see in one glance which ones they have read. Have added the series title to Azkaban.

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben Walker (bendywalker) | 17 comments Okay. Should I post in the "Serieses!" section as I discover books that are part of a series but do not conform to this convention?

While I'm here, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets don't conform.

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Ben wrote: "Okay. Should I post in the "Serieses!" section as I discover books that are part of a series but do not conform to this convention?"

It is not required to put the series title in the title field, so I'd say no. The three editions you linked to that do not conform were all imported by a bot (which of course does not list the series info).