Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

(Harry Potter #3)

4.57  ·  Rating details ·  2,736,044 ratings  ·  54,061 reviews
"'Welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard. Just stick out your wand hand, step on board and we can take you anywhere you want to go.'"

When the Knight Bus crashes through the darkness and screeches to a halt in front of him, it's the start of another far from ordinary year at Hogwarts for Harry Potter. Sirius Black, escaped mass-murde
Published December 9th 2015 by Pottermore from J.K. Rowling (first published July 8th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, please sign up.
De Wet Time travelling is always tricky to handle. For me it was perhaps the weakest spot in the book, but in an otherwise cracking read like this I'm happy …moreTime travelling is always tricky to handle. For me it was perhaps the weakest spot in the book, but in an otherwise cracking read like this I'm happy to just let things go without over analyzing them. Not much point spoiling my enjoyment of a book by trying to do science and logic on fictional magic.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cmarks14
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  2,736,044 ratings  ·  54,061 reviews

Start your review of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3)
Raeleen Lemay
re-read in February 2016
Harry is getting his sass on. I love it.

Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas to You

OH MAN. THIS BOOK IS SO MY FAVORITE.

The phone conversation at the beginning between Ron and Uncle Vernon was PRICELESS. I wish so much that that scene had been in the movie.

I was so into reading this book that I failed to take notes, so I don't have many specifics to add except that I love how Crookshanks was basically Sirius's secret agent spy cat friend and I LOVE THAT.

Also, this
Inge
This is a Weasley appreciation post.

Zoë
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Don't let the muggles get you down.”
Yup yup yup I love this book.
Wil Wheaton
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm beginning to wonder if there will ever be a Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher who is just a teacher.
Lily C
This one is definitely my favourite of the 3 i've read so far.. :)

(Watch my review here): https://youtu.be/gFZ99uPXiIU
Cindy Pham
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am both pleasantly surprised and mad that I ended up enjoying this audiobook and getting invested in Sirius Black. The story really improved when we discovered more about the background story of events that happened before Harry's generation. I enjoyed learning more about the adult characters and being surprised at the plot developments.
Jayson
(A) 85% | Extraordinary
Notes: Separating itself from its forebears, it's a story of greater complexity, darker tones, and a vastly expanded mythology.
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies

I last read this book when I was 14 years old, given that I'm almost 32 now, I have a whole new perspective on it. Despite the fact that I gave this book 5 stars previously, I have to admit that it didn't grow on me until this, my second read.

Confession time: I didn't like Remus or Sirius.

*Khanh ducks as rotten fruit and eggs are thrown her way*

OK, OK, I'M SORRY! I've since changed my mind! Notice that I used the past tense.

Obviously, there will be spoilers for the book below, for the 1.5 of yo
Jayson
(A) 85% | Extraordinary
Notes: A flavorful foreboding, it plies expanded bandwidth, like ripened fruit, and more acute: a sweet and spicy sandwich.
Hannah
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I have so much more love for this one re-reading it as an adult.

Five stars of course.
Kai
“If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

See the irony there?

Trans lives matter. Donate now:

Mermaids UK

The Trevor Project

Black Visions Collective
Katerina
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's a rainy Sunday. It's colder than it should be this time of the year, so I'm drinking a delicious cup of coffee and I'm browsing my Goodreads shelves only to realise that I haven't written a Harry Potter review. Not a single one. So, I decided to start with the first Harry Potter book I ever read, the one that took me to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and made me believe that magic is something tangible.
“I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”

I was 16 years old,
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 1/19/19: Idk what happened this time around but I SOBBED for the last 50 pages of this????? My heart aches for all the things that could have happened and I just 😭😭😭

Re-read 5/25/16: Perfection again. Re-reading this series is making me SO happy. Although this book is where things start getting really gloomy and it just breaks my heart to see bad things happening to lil Harry :c
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

As it seems my Harry Potter reviews don’t always start with a Dumbledore quote but always end up being “My thoughts about this book” reviews as well. For a series like HP that’s been read by so many people this might be the best solution though. And because the books get longer and longer and because I don’t share my friend Jayson’s amazing and remarkable ability to describe a book in one significa
Luca Ambrosino
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ENGLISH (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) / ITALIANO

«Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.For one thing, he hated the summer holidays more than any other time of year. For another, he really wanted to do his homework but was forced to do it in secret, in the dead of night. And he also happened to be a wizard»

Sirius Black's escape from Azkaban prison is on every wizard's lips. Not even the dreaded guards of the prison, the Dementors, managed to keep in a cage the wicked wiz

Raeleen Lemay
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, young-adult
Read for Popsugar's 2018 Reading Challenge: A Book Set in the Decade You Were Born

THIS WAS SO BEAUTIFUL. At first I was mad there weren't more illustrations, but I began to realize that every page was unique in its own way (mostly REALLY COOL background designs) and the chapter headers were all incredible. All in all, a super delightful read!
Chloe
*5th read: July - August 2019- Audiobook*

*4th read: June 2018 - Audiobook*
5 stars
Stephen Fry is incredible.

*3rd read: 2017*
5 stars
DON'T LET THE MUGGLES GET YOU DOWN!
Chelsea Humphrey
Next up in our Harry Potter re-read! So excited to finally tackle the illustrated version of this one.

*********************

I guess you can tell from my rating that this wasn't my all-time favorite HP installment, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember thinking that the movie was about a 3/5 star rating for me when I first saw it, but now that I've experienced the novel version, I can see how the ending in the book is so much more detailed and excellent than how they chose to portray the e
Navessa
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Still five stars. Love this so much. Can't review. Couldn't even take notes. Watched the movie immediately after finishing. Need next book. Wish I lived in this world. Damn you, Rowling.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I'm just going to add a few gifs and pictures from my book. Harry Potter books will always be 5 star no matter how many times they are read. (Hermione forever!)

I fell in love with S. Black in this book and I never looked back.

I'm going to add some pictures from my book, although now, I wish I would have added more but it is what it is. . . maybe later

I love these big illustrated coffee table editions of the books. It makes re-reading them an extremely fun experience. I just wish she would put t
Brina
Time. The things we could accomplish if we had extra time on our hands. Just this week I mentioned to people that I have been running on fumes with all the things I had to get done. If only I had a few extra hours in my week to take a nap or rest with a book. Thankfully, we have a leap year, providing our busy lives with a full extra day to get those things done that may have been pushed to the back burner. Whether it’s catching up on sleep, reading, or chores, a leap year creates the impression ...more
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This home prison a.k.a voluntarily quarantine making cookies and throwing them into trash days( I never say I’m a good cook and each day I’m getting worse!) giving me nostalgic vibes. It’s like living never ending mercury retrograde! You don’t want to start a new thing, you have to go back to your past or you have to deal with your unfinished businesses.

Of course this is not a book from my TBR or DNF list. I’ve read it very same day it has been released: 16 freaking years ago when I was still
Adam Silvera
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Loved it, duh. It's my favorite in the series and I'm not sure I got anything NEW out of this reread except some reminders on what a dick Snape is + how Crookshanks was MVP in getting the passwords to Sirius Black.
Chris
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harry-potter, fantasy
Since pretty much everyone I know has read these books, I figure reviewing them is pretty pointless. But with the new book coming out in a couple of weeks, I have to go through them beginning to end. To make the reviews more entertaining, I will be doing them in a variety of unexpected formats. For this review, I will be writing as Crookshanks fan fiction.

Crookshanks swished his tail back and forth as he crept up the stairs to the boys' bedrooms. He knew the rat wasn't what it was pretending to
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms  (Book.Enchantress)
"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good"
description
One of the iconic quotes of the series.

5 Golden stars

99%

For some reason, I never really liked Prisoner of Azkaban when I was younger, I thought it as a sidejob, after Chamber of Secrets & that big Revelation, I waited for more (& I vaguely remember a little amount of waiting before the book published, so maybe that might be a reason too, a kind of mild disappointment), so I thought it was boring, not as important as the last book... but after 13/14th
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
I don't know what to say other than I love this book. I loved learning more about Harry's parents. I loved Harry, Ron, Hermione, Fred, George, and everyone else. I loved the storyline and how every single seemingly pointless detail somehow ended up meaning something to the bigger story and how I was left completely in shock. I loved the introduction of divination and I loved Sirius. I love love love this series. Superb storytelling. I AM IN LOVE😍
Sean Barrs
This is my favourite book in the Harry Potter series!

It marks a distinct change in tone and a maturation of the writing. As the characters grew older, the challenges they faced became more dark and intense. The plot became murkier especially in regard to Sirius and his involvement (or lack thereof) in the murders of Potter’s parents. It all just got so much better. I think this is a large part of Rowling’s success. She could have fell into a trap and continuously wrote books like the first two,
Saniya
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of-course, this book was EPIC! =D
Its Harry Potter now. It has to be epic! *Rolling eyes but smiling widely* xD

Julie
Okay, I will admit it here, publicly, for the very first time: I've got a mad crush on Remus Lupin.

How could I not have fallen hard for a man who, by day, has the vibe of a young Pablo Neruda, and by night strips down naked and takes on werewolf form?

I mean, can you imagine having sex with this man?

Well, I have. Several times. And, as a woman who read the entire Harry Potter series as an adult, rather than a child, I could not get over my joy when the series shifted from the wonderful, but some
Ahmad Sharabiani
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3), J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is a fantasy novel written by British author J. K. Rowling and the third in the Harry Potter series. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was released in hardcover in the UK on 8 July 1999 and in the US on 8 September. The British paperback edition was released on 1 April 2000, while the US paperback was released 2 October 2001.
The book follows Harry Potter, a young wizard, in h

• Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8)
  • Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
  • Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Sheet Music for Flute with C.D
  • New Moon (Twilight, #2)
  • The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
  • The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2)
  • Eclipse (Twilight, #3)
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • Selections from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Piano Solos
  • Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
  • Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
  • Twilight (Twilight, #1)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)