Historical Fictionistas discussion

Favorite HF Authors > Anya Seton

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3723 comments Mod
I haven't read anything by Anya Seton yet, but Allison was supposed to send me Katherine and didn't! I want to read it because I bet it's awesome.

Anyway, if you've read anything by her, let us know how you liked it and what you'd recommend, etc. :)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 344 comments ...I didn't?!?!?! I probably still have it then! I'll look for it.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 344 comments I read Katherine and I think it is worth reading...but got kinda boring/repetative/bleh before the end.

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Jackson (melaniejaxn) | 3 comments Green Darkness haunts me to this day.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2958 comments I have read Katherine too and loved it.

message 6: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Vorenberg | 16 comments Gosh, where to begin -- I think I have every book that Anya Seton ever wrote, beginning with The Winthrop Woman. Wonderful writer! Be sure to haunt any used book store you may have for any of her books.

Kathy

message 7: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Vorenberg | 16 comments Ooops! Forgot to give the titles: Dragonwyck, My Theodosia, The Turquoise, The Hearth and The Eagle, Foxfire, Katherine, The Mistletoe and the Sword, Avalon, The Winthrop Woman, Devil Water, Smouldering Fires, and Green Darkness.

And, Barbara, I read my first Anya Seton book back in the early 1960's . . . .

Kathy

message 8: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Vorenberg | 16 comments Barbara wrote: "I've read all of Seton's except for Avalon & The Mistle toe & the Sword.

Thanks, Kathy, I don't like dating myself, but......
Have you read any of Thomas Costain's novels? Excellent as well! ..."

Gosh, I had nearly forgotten about those great old Thomas Costain novels -- yes, they were great reads, too.

Kathy

message 9: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Vorenberg | 16 comments Barbara wrote: "I wish thet would republish Costain's works. Have you read any of Elswyth Thane? I really enjoyed her 7 novels about a Williamsburg, VA family, through the years. All of the old books are good ol..."

That is not a name I am familiar with -- will have to look up Thane and her books. Thanks for the lead!

Kathy

message 10: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccabeccabooklover) My favourite novels written by Anya Seton are Katherine, The Winthrop Woman and Avalon. The Winthrop Woman was a fantastic insight into the colonisation of America and I really enjoyed it. Avalon was also extremely interesting regarding the founding of Greenland and life in Iceland. A great read and a great author!

message 11: by Teralyn (new)

Teralyn Pilgrim | 42 comments I started to read Green Darkness. I had trouble getting into it, and then the characters... well, it was a tad disturbing. Maybe it's just not my kind of book.

I've been thinking of picking it up again, though. Melanie, what did you like about it? Has anyone else read it?

message 12: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 309 comments Getting hooked on Anya Seton. Many of her books are hard to find. Had to buy used. Not donating these to the library when I'm done.

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly I love Anya Seton, I've only read Green Darkness but it blew my mind last year and made me an instant fan of hers. I'm planning to read Katherine next month. It's sad that some of her books are harder to find though.

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Katherine is the only book of hers that I have read and I loved it.

message 15: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I highly recommend reading Green Darkness by Anya Seton. In some respects it's even better than Katherine.

message 16: by Louise (new)

Louise | 4344 comments Some of Anya Seton's books are back in print! I recently picked up a new Katherine at my local bookstore. They had at least two other of her titles as well.

message 17: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 50 comments Louise wrote: "Some of Anya Seton's books are back in print! I recently picked up a new Katherine at my local bookstore. They had at least two other of her titles as well."

Many public libraries have good Anya Seton collections. Worth a check if you want to run her books. She was the first HF author I read, and an aspect of her writing I loved was that many of her books sought to explain a mystery of history. BLR

message 18: by Lisasue (new)

Lisasue (lisasuej) Katherine was a wonderful book. I should reread it....

message 19: by Yanina (new)

Yanina Stachura | 140 comments I would recommend Green Darkness. Quite fascinating and well written.

message 20: by Lara (new)

Lara | 3 comments I have only read Devils Water from Anya and I think it was brilliant.... very intriguing story from start to finish.... nothing repititive about it. I'd like to read Katherine sometime.

message 21: by Yanina (new)

Yanina Stachura | 140 comments Hey Lara, I have not heard of that one - though I see someone else mentioned it on this thread. What era is it set in?

message 22: by Martine (new)

Martine Bailey (martineanne) | 34 comments Katherine is one of my favourite books - so vivid and romantic. Thanks for all the further recommendations, I will definitely read Green Darkness. One issue for me is that they are rarely available on audio, my preferred reading method.

message 23: by Yanina (new)

Yanina Stachura | 140 comments I think I have read Katherine, but it was such a long time ago I can't remember, I am going to have a look at it again and see if it all comes flooding back as I read!

message 24: by Martine (new)

Martine Bailey (martineanne) | 34 comments I recently found myself at a wonderful old manor house called Ightam Mote in Kent. To my astonishment it had two literary connections. On a guided tour of the tower I found out Henry James slept there and was inspired to write one of my favourite stories, The Turn of the Screw. Then by chance I found a reference to Green Darkness in the Great Hall. Apparently Anya Seton stayed there and was told about the body of a young woman bricked up in the wall. The guides were most unwilling to talk about the latter story - something I've noticed recently in stately homes is a cleaning up of old skulls and so on. But for anyone visiting Kent in England I thought Ightam Mote was a true literary shrine.

message 25: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Bashaar | 141 comments This comment includes some spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the books mentioned. My favorites by Seton are Katherine and Avalon. Has anyone besides me noticed that the plot of Katherineis really similar to Jane Eyre(which is another favorite book of mine)? Katherine & Jane are both governesses for the children of the man they love, both start life poor, both have an experience that causes them to leave their lover and finish maturing on their own. Both almost marry someone else before being reunited with their lover. Jane and Katherine are both wonderful, strong female characters. I read them both when I was very young and I think they helped to form my view of myself as a woman.

message 26: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) Kathy wrote: "This comment includes some spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the books mentioned. My favorites by Seton are Katherine and Avalon. Has anyone besides me noticed that th..."

Loved your comment Kathy, and now that you mentioned it I do see the similarities between them! Both are 2 of my all time favorites as well.

message 27: by Jane (new)

Jane Carver (janecc) | 12 comments Kathy wrote: "This comment includes some spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the books mentioned. My favorites by Seton are Katherine and Avalon. Has anyone besides me noticed..."
I read Katherineand Green Darkness back-to-back about 4 decades ago, but not Avalon. I loved them, but I'm a bit fuzzy about some of the details. I think it must be time to revisit them.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sinclair | 22 comments Anya Seton is a definite heavyweight in my book! Katherine and Winthrop Woman are still way up in my favorites list.

The only book of hers I didn't like was "the hearth and the eagle", which is a good story, but somehow ends up being about how a house is more important than the people who live in it, especially if it's an old house. Maybe I missed the point and should re-read it?

message 29: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 22 comments I loved Anya Seton - particularly Green Darkness by Anya Seton and Katherine by Anya Seton . My grandmother gave them to me to read when I was in college (or shortly thereafter). We were also big fans of the Angelique books by Sergeanne Golon.

message 30: by Rachel (last edited Jul 13, 2017 10:55AM) (new)

Rachel Sinclair | 22 comments Barbara wrote: "Anya Seton was a fantastic writer of historical fiction. The Hearth & the Eagle & Devil Water are also as good as Katherine. One of my favorites is The Turquoise. Try Elswyth Thane's novels, also. ..."

Yes yes! Dawn's Early Light, the first book in the series, is one of my go-to, feel-good re-reads. The story of the founding fathers and the birth of the American Revolution, seen through the eyes of a teenage girl growing up and falling in love in colonial Williamsburg, It might be considered YA now, but who cares?