Horror Aficionados discussion

Wrath of the Ancients (Nemesis of the Gods, #1)
This topic is about Wrath of the Ancients
159 views
Group Reads: Guest Author Invite > November 2017 Group Read #2 with Guest Author, Catherine Cavendish

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kenneth McKinley | 1449 comments Mod
This is the thread for our November Group Read with Guest Author, Catherine Cavendish. If you like gothic horror as much as I do, you're going to love Catherine's writing. Wrath of the Ancients was just released this month and Catherine was gracious enough to join us as we unearth (see what I did there?) her gothic tale of pharaohs and curses. Please help me welcome, Catherine Cavendish!


 Reading Reindeer Emigrates To Pluto (intotheabyssreviews) | 182 comments Welcome, Catherine! Wonderful you are joining in!


message 3: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (buildingbetterworlds) Welcome! Thanks for joining in!


Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 662 comments Good to have you here, Catherine! Wrath of the Ancients has been on my to-read list for I don't know how long. I will try to join this discussion.


message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Thank you for inviting me here. Wrath of the Ancients was just released today - the 24th - so it's an exciting time. I'm looking forward to chatting with you all throughout November. Hope you enjoy the story:)


Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5264 comments Mod
Welcome Catherine! I love gothic horror--looking forward to purchasing and joining in this read!!


Latasha (latasha513) | 10019 comments Mod
This sounds great! I'll be joining in for this one. Thanks for joining us Catherine!


message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Thank you for the lovely welcome. I love Horror Aficionados. Such great people :)


Kenneth McKinley | 1449 comments Mod
Catherine, one of the questions I always ask is about the cover. What can you tell us about it? Who designed the cover of Wrath and did the artwork? How much say do you have in the design of your covers?


message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Hi Ken. I love this cover too. I'm afraid I don't know the name of the cover artist but it was supplied by the publisher and the artist worked to a brief - my brief. He/she did a great job of interpreting what I had in mind. The same has happened with the sequel - Waking the Ancients - which is coming out in April. That cover works equally well and I am delighted with it. I have been lucky over the years to work with some great cover artists and I have always had a say in the design. Obviously the final decision rests with the publisher but that's only fair - they're paying for it!


message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Kimberly wrote: "Welcome Catherine! I love gothic horror--looking forward to purchasing and joining in this read!!"

That is so kind of you, Kimberly. Thank you :)


message 12: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Latasha wrote: "This sounds great! I'll be joining in for this one. Thanks for joining us Catherine!"
It's great to be here. Latasha. Many thanks :)


message 13: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Anne (w/ an E) wrote: "Good to have you here, Catherine! Wrath of the Ancients has been on my to-read list for I don't know how long. I will try to join this discussion."

It will be good to chat with you Anne. Thank you :)


message 14: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Joshua wrote: "Welcome! Thanks for joining in!"

Thank you so much, Joshua :)


message 15: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments OCTOBER IS LOVECRAFT COUNTRY wrote: "Welcome, Catherine! Wonderful you are joining in!"

Lovely to see you here! :)


message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 41 comments Hellow Catherine, welcome.


message 17: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Hello Kimberly. Thank you :)


Latasha (latasha513) | 10019 comments Mod
ok, I bought it and ready to go. I'm going to finish up one I'm reading then i'll head this way.


message 19: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Latasha wrote: "ok, I bought it and ready to go. I'm going to finish up one I'm reading then i'll head this way."

That's great, Latasha. Thank you. I look forward to 'chatting' with you here :)


Latasha (latasha513) | 10019 comments Mod
Started this tonight. All this talk of Egypt makes me wanna read Queen of the Damned. But no! No! I gotta stay focused. I have 4 books to read in November. And I'll be moving! 😱


message 21: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Latasha wrote: "Started this tonight. All this talk of Egypt makes me wanna read Queen of the Damned. But no! No! I gotta stay focused. I have 4 books to read in November. And I'll be moving! 😱"
It's interesting but when I was writing wrath of the Ancients, there weren't a lot of new novels set in Egypt around. Anne Rice had never come out with a sequel to The Mummy. Now, not only are there more titles appearing which are inspired by ancient Egypt but the lady herself is releasing that long awaited sequel later this month. You're going to be busy Latasha!


Latasha (latasha513) | 10019 comments Mod
I'll buy it but I'll have to read it later.


message 23: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Latasha wrote: "I'll buy it but I'll have to read it later."

:)


message 24: by Anne (w/ an E) (last edited Nov 02, 2017 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 662 comments I've always wanted to go to Egypt and I like reading about ancient Egypt. I even enjoyed my classes in school when we learning about it!
Oh yeah - I am starting this today.


message 25: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Thank you, Anne. Ancient Egypt has always fascinated me too and it was an amazing feeling when I first strolled through the temples I had only previously read about or seen on television.


message 26: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 41 comments Welcome, Catherine. I will be adding this one to my read list for 2018.


Latasha (latasha513) | 10019 comments Mod
I wouldn't mind strolling through or by the pyramids either.


message 28: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Kimberly wrote: "Welcome, Catherine. I will be adding this one to my read list for 2018."

Thank you, Kimberly :)


message 29: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Latasha wrote: "I wouldn't mind strolling through or by the pyramids either."

Sadly, on my trip, I didn't get to the pyramids. One day...(sighs)


Kenneth McKinley | 1449 comments Mod
Cat, for those that may not be familiar with your work, can you give us a little about yourself, your career and how you became a writer?


message 31: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Happy to, Ken. I'm a British author, brought up on M.R. James, Dennis Wheatley and Hammer Horror films, along with a healthy (some might say unhealthy!) dose of classic crime writers such as Agatha Christie, Conan Doyle and Dorothy L Sayers, courtesy of my crime novel loving mother. Also thanks to her, I have a lifelong love of history and cats. This all goes to explain certain aspects of my writing.

I have been creating stories since I could hold a pencil and can track my life through a succession of typewriters, word processors and, latterly, computers. I sold my doll's house and various other toys when I was nine years old in order to buy my first portable Smith Corona. I loved that little machine :)

Living in an old haunted (yes, really!) building in North Wales led me to switch from the genre I was writing in (historical fiction) to horror, which I have pursued for a number of years. I have had a number of novels and novellas published by Etopia Press, the late lamented Samhain Horror, Crossroad Press and now Kensington, under their Lyrical Underground imprint. Wrath of the Ancients is the first in my Nemesis of the Gods trilogy - the second of which (Waking the Ancients) comes out next April.

My husband and I share our lives with a one year old black cat called Serafina who has aspirations to be the subject of her own story one of these days.


Latasha (latasha513) | 10019 comments Mod
I had to check to see if I've read A Room with a View. I haven't and I think my mind is trying to convince me it's The Room in the Tower, I think by E.F Benson lol.


Latasha (latasha513) | 10019 comments Mod
Chapter 2-
Adeline is brave!

I have 2 cats, Dorgan & Freya then some that's adopted me- Ma Petite and Mr. Valentino.


Latasha (latasha513) | 10019 comments Mod
https://www.cafecentral.wien/en/

Café central' website. Wowwww Catherine, did you go there?


Latasha (latasha513) | 10019 comments Mod
Chapter 4
(view spoiler)


message 36: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Latasha wrote: "https://www.cafecentral.wien/en/

Café central' website. Wowwww Catherine, did you go there?"

Hi Latasha. Yes, I've been there a couple of times. The melange is to die for - and the pastries are out of this world. It's an amazing place. As far as locations are concerned, I have tried to be as accurate as possible when using real locations. It helps that I know Vienna from my many visits there


message 37: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Latasha wrote: "Chapter 2-
Adeline is brave!

I have 2 cats, Dorgan & Freya then some that's adopted me- Ma Petite and Mr. Valentino."

What gorgeous names :)


Latasha (latasha513) | 10019 comments Mod
Catherine wrote: "Latasha wrote: "Chapter 2-
Adeline is brave!

I have 2 cats, Dorgan & Freya then some that's adopted me- Ma Petite and Mr. Valentino."
What gorgeous names :)"


thank you.


Latasha (latasha513) | 10019 comments Mod
Catherine wrote: "Latasha wrote: "https://www.cafecentral.wien/en/

Café central' website. Wowwww Catherine, did you go there?"
Hi Latasha. Yes, I've been there a couple of times. The melange is to die for - and the..."


oh wow! I bet that was amazing!


message 40: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Latasha wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Latasha wrote: "https://www.cafecentral.wien/en/

Café central' website. Wowwww Catherine, did you go there?"
Hi Latasha. Yes, I've been there a couple of times. The melange is to..."


I can certainly recommend it!


message 41: by Anne (w/ an E) (last edited Nov 04, 2017 07:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 662 comments Latasha wrote: "Chapter 4
[spoilers removed]"


Don't mean to butt in but Latasha,(view spoiler). ;D!


Latasha (latasha513) | 10019 comments Mod
Anne (w/ an E) wrote: "Latasha wrote: "Chapter 4
[spoilers removed]"

Don't mean to butt in but Latasha,[spoilers removed]. ;D!"


lol!! that wouldn't be so bad.


message 43: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Anne (w/ an E) wrote: "Latasha wrote: "Chapter 4
[spoilers removed]"

Don't mean to butt in but Latasha,[spoilers removed]. ;D!"


You hear all sorts of strange noises in our home. They come mainly from the rafters. Comes from living in a 260 year old building...with a history of haunting


Latasha (latasha513) | 10019 comments Mod
the house I'm currently living in was built in the 30's. I thought I wanted to live in an old house til I moved in one. I'm getting ready to move soon and that house is 20 next year. lol. I don't hear stuff but ... with just renting, an old house is not for me.


message 45: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Even a relatively new one can come with...shall we say...guests? Be happy in your new home. May all the spirits be friendly ones :)


message 46: by Lena (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lena | 2118 comments Bought the book! I can start it next week.


message 47: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Lena wrote: "Bought the book! I can start it next week."

That's great, Lena. I shall look forward to your thoughts on it. :)


Latasha (latasha513) | 10019 comments Mod
No Catherine no!! I love spooky stuff, I'll read & watch it all day but I do not want to see or hear anything! I'm a scaredy cat when it comes right down to it.


message 49: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 253 comments Latasha wrote: "No Catherine no!! I love spooky stuff, I'll read & watch it all day but I do not want to see or hear anything! I'm a scaredy cat when it comes right down to it."

I'm sure everything will be fine. Just fine ;)


Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5264 comments Mod
Catherine wrote: "Latasha wrote: "No Catherine no!! I love spooky stuff, I'll read & watch it all day but I do not want to see or hear anything! I'm a scaredy cat when it comes right down to it."

I'm sure everythin..."


LOL!


« previous 1
back to top