Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > DEC BOTM results

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
It was a tight race this month and lots of people voted.

The winner of the popular vote (by 1 vote) was What I Loved
Randomizer picked The Cathedral

The second place book was "reasons to live" and third was The Sun also rises

So question is, which books will you be reading?

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I would like to add thanks to all the new members for jumping right on in and voting this month!

message 3: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 3829 comments Mod
I’ve read Cathedral (and I liked it) so I will be reading What I Loved.

message 4: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1308 comments Woohoo! What I Loved is in my local library so I will read that. We read The Cathedral at the beginning of 2016 according to my records so won't be re-reading that. I thought we had a longer period before a book we have read was back in the picks.

message 5: by Kristel (new)

There is no discussion for Cathedral that I could fine. My memory is that we read it while we were still over at Shelfari. It may have been a book for one of the challenges or something.

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 221 comments I'm happy What I loved won. I have been meaning to read it for some time, and I have it on hand. The Cathedral seems more obscure and difficult to find.

message 7: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 292 comments I’m pretty sure the Cathedral is in the Dropbox.

I’m happy What I Loved won. I was thinking of shifting my votes...

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 556 comments Dropbox is where I found Cathedral. I read it, I think, for a challenge- maybe an Olympic one- over on Shelfari.
And What I Loved was one of the first books I read on the list back in ‘07 or ‘08, so I’ll (probably) still be trying to get through the Bellow from November...

message 9: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments The Dropbox?

I requested that my library get What I Loved. Fingers crossed.

message 10: by Kristel (new)

I looked for Cathedral in the drop box and could not find it. It was a free pdf file on-line and I put it in my i-books but could not find a way to put it in Dropbox, can someone put it there if it isn’t there?

message 11: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 292 comments Cathedral can be found here:
http://wisebook.website/download-book...

We have a Dropbox drive where members have added free copies of some hard to find books on the list. I’m not sure how you get access to it.

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Send me a photo private message with your email address and I’ll add you to dropbox

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann Dank | 11 comments I've read "What I Loved" and liked it a lot. I will try to find The Cathedral in Russian (the author is Ukrainian, but Russian translation should be closer to original than English)

message 14: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 166 comments Will definitely try What I Loved . . .

message 15: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1820 comments Mod
I will be attempting both...

message 16: by Kristel (new)

Ann wrote: "I've read "What I Loved" and liked it a lot. I will try to find The Cathedral in Russian (the author is Ukrainian, but Russian translation should be closer to original than English)" This translation was taken on by

Published 1989 by St. Sophia Religious Association of Ukrainian Catholics , so I wonder if you can find it in Russian. I found this a very interesting book to read and felt the translation might be pretty good. I hope you can find it in Russian. Let us know.

message 17: by Gina (new)

Gina Andrews | 58 comments I will at least start What I Loved, but The Cathedral I might have to pass on. According to my list, it is only available in in English from the following website, although I did make my list of the 1001 books about 3 years ago.
http://sites.utoronto.ca/elul/English...

message 18: by Kristel (new)

But that site takes you to the pdf file which is a very good copy.

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 424 comments Since the PDF linked above worked (yay!), I guess I'm reading The Cathedral. What I Loved doesn't exist in our city's library, so unless I can find it at the university library I will be passing on that one.

message 20: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 411 comments I've been wanting to read What I loved for some time, so this is one that I'll actually buy since I can't get it at the library. As for Cathedral, I'll see what I can find time for. Thank you Gina for the UToronto link.

message 21: by John (new)

John Seymour Kristel wrote: "There is no discussion for Cathedral that I could fine. My memory is that we read it while we were still over at Shelfari. It may have been a book for one of the challenges or something."

I think Cathedral was read by some as part of a challenge so there wouldn't have been a discussion. But since it wasn't a BOTM it wouldn't have been excluded from consideration.

message 22: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Husemoller | 6 comments I'm probably going to have to skip November, so I'll try and read both books for December!

message 23: by Becky C (new)

Becky C | 55 comments I'll be reading The Cathedral since the pdf was provided (thanks, Gina!). It sounds very interesting and I'm looking forward to it.

message 24: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 91 comments I'm afraid I'll need to skip December too. I'm busy blacking out a few Bingo cards for my library, some yearly challenges, and finishing reading books for a Mock Newbery Award committee in early January. Enjoy!

message 25: by Sue (new)

Sue Dix | 61 comments I am going to read both. Thanks for the pdf, Gina.

message 26: by Kristel (new)

Do we have any volunteers to host one of these December BOTM?