Gore and More discussion

Episodes of Violence
This topic is about Episodes of Violence
Group Read: Guest Author Invite > November 2017 Group Read with David Bernstein

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kenneth McKinley | 677 comments Mod
This is the thread for our November 2017 Group Read with author David Bernstein. David is making quite a name for himself the past few years with his excellent A Mixed Bag of Blood, Blue Demon and Witch Island. Hot off the presses is David's latest, Episodes of Violence, which we will all get to read while probing David's gray matter along the way. Please help me welcome David Bernstein!

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Senteney (trollbridgeblogger) | 18 comments Welcome David

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 44 comments Wow, this is fantastic! WELCOME, David and THANKS so much for being here with us. I am a HUGE fan of 'Blue Demon'- it was phenomenal. Very much looking forward to November! Cheers! --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 4: by Tiffany (new) - added it

Tiffany Henson | 1 comments Welcome David!! I look forward to this read!!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 62 comments Welcome David! I will definitely be purchasing this and reading along with the group. :D

message 6: by Marie (new)

Marie Welcome David! I too will be joining in on this one and going to purchase the book. :)

message 7: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) Welcome and thank you David.

message 8: by Rouxmia (new)

Rouxmia Roest | 2 comments Welcome David!

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 41 comments Aloha and Welcome David ☠️

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Thanks for the group read, David! Purchased this one and reading along.

Vicki Willis Welcome David. Am ready to start this one.

Now that was one hell of a first chapter. I happen to remember a game or two of mailbox baseball during my misspent youth!

David, for those that may not be familiar with your work, can you tell them a little about yourself, your career and how you became a writer?

I'm half way through this and I can't stop reading it. The story has got me hook, line and sinker deep. David, you have really outdone yourself with this one! It doesn't look like I'll be getting any sleep tonight until I've finished it!

message 15: by David (new)

David Bernstein | 2 comments Hi all! First, i want to thank Ken for inviting me, and for all of you for taking the time to read Episodes of Violence.

As far as how i became a writer...I wrote my first short story when i was in kindergarten, and YES, it was a horror story. My mom loved, and still loves, horror, so she brainwashed me! And i thank her for it everyday!
Writing has always been something i enjoyed, but i think it took me maturing to actually create a novel. (BY maturing I mean to STOP partying and playing video games in my free time)

Episodes of Violence was a little different than my usual horror as it relies more on "real-world" horror and not so much monsters and the supernatural, but crime and evil people. The Unhinged is the closest book of mine to this, where it also takes place in the real world, but it is WAY more extreme and nasty horror. (Unfortunately it is out of print, but it will be back soon)
My other books usually deal with monsters /and/or supernatural
things. I love my gore and enjoy being descriptive with it, but i do write less-so gory books as well that rely more on atmosphere.
I started writing seriously in 2009 and had my first book published in 2011 with the now defunct Samhain. It was a zombie novel (but in the horror tradition, not the action-military style.) I've published with Darfuse, Evil Jester Press, Severed Press, Sinister Grin, Thunderstorm Books and Bizarro Pulp Press. )So all of my Samhain books and Darfuse novels are all out of print except for a few that Crossroad Press re-released.
All in all, i consider myself very lucky. I worked hard, wrote my ass off and it's nice to know that more people like my work than not. HAHA!

message 16: by Vicki Willis (last edited Nov 13, 2017 08:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki Willis I started this today and read about 50%.
Wow... started out intense! So crazy.
I could hardly put it down.
I read the first two parts and they were disturbing. (view spoiler)
Can't imagine where this is going!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I'm so slow, but I've been buried with books this month and haven't has as much reading time as usual. Will start this one soon though, I'm just going to be a 'late poster'

Vicki wrote: "I started this today and read about 50%.
Wow... started out intense! So crazy.
I could hardly put it down.
I read the first two parts and they were disturbing. the trio of killers are really off an..."

To me, that's what makes this story so effective (view spoiler)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 62 comments I have a copy now--just need to get to reading it before the end of the month!!! :D

message 20: by Kenneth (last edited Nov 15, 2017 08:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David, these characters are absolutely nuts, yet I feel like I've met them in real life before. Can you tell us a little how this story came about?

Vicki Willis I finished and wow... Gore and More is the right place for this book.
I really liked how you wrote it in sections and I couldn't see how they were going to connect. Then I felt like I was stabbed in the heart when (view spoiler).
That was very intense and disturbing. I agree with Ken about the characters and also want to know where this story came from.

Vicki's Review

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 62 comments Starting late on this one, but loving it! The first 20% flew by!

It gets even better, Kimberly!

message 24: by Mike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike (nmpreach) I'm a little late to the party, but I've finished Part I.

A few thoughts:
1) I'm not sure I like Daemon, Sage, or Bobby. I guess that's good? :)
2) I've seen good and bad in life but dysfunction doesn't begin to cover what's going on so far. Good job, David!
3) One day to finish on time! With the pace I've read, that's no problem.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 62 comments Due to an unexpected "family issue", I had to stop for a while at the 20% mark. However, it is a testament to David that when I picked up again last night, I hadn't forgotten ANYTHING that I had previously read, and was able to slip right back into the action. 52% right now, and going strong!

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 41 comments Kimberly wrote: "Due to an unexpected "family issue", I had to stop for a while at the 20% mark. However, it is a testament to David that when I picked up again last night, I hadn't forgotten ANYTHING that I had pr..."

Sorry to hear and hope all is well.

message 27: by David (new)

David Bernstein | 2 comments Thanks everyone! I'm glad you're enjoying it! It does get a bit intense and graphic.

message 28: by Mike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike (nmpreach) First Bernstein down. It won’t be the last! Good stuff David. Get yourself checked out. 😂