Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Shannan's October 2017 Readathon Updates

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments I used to do this readathon years ago when it first started but life got in the way so 4 kids later here I am.

Books to be read are:
Little Women have about 104 pages left
Nancy Drew: The Message in the Hollow Oak and The Haunted Bridge
Doctor Who and the The School of Death
French Milk
Dark Heart of Italy.

message 2: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments Hour 1

I read 37 pages and I was almost finished with Little Women having one chapter left.

message 3: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments Hour 2

I finished Little Women and started a graphic novel called Doctor Who and The School of Death

message 4: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments 1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Italy
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? The Dark Heart of Italy by Tobias Jones
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? My Teriyaki Beef Jerky
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I am a mom of 4
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? To not put a lot of pressure on myself to read all 24 hours

message 5: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments Hour 4. I have completed 2 books so far for a total of 189 pages.

I only had 61 pages left in Little Women when I started. I then rested my brain with a Graphic Novel called Doctor Who and The School of Death. Up next on my list is a classic Nancy Drew from the 1930s called The Message in The Hollow Oak.

message 6: by Aya (new)

Aya (ayako_sato) | 59 comments Hope your reading is going well. ^_^

Don't forget to get that blood circulating!

message 7: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments Aya wrote: "Hope your reading is going well. ^_^

Don't forget to get that blood circulating!

"

I am. I move around every hour.

message 8: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 494 comments I have a Nancy Drew for later, too. Mine is The Sign of the Twisted Candles.

message 9: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments On hour 7 I finished Nancy Drew and The Message in the Hollow Oak. I have been snacking and walking around on and off. I have started French Milk by Lucy Knisley. So far my page count is : 477pgs. I am doing pretty good and my husband took the kids out of the house so I can read. I have not read like this since before I had kids.

message 10: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments Ann A wrote: "I have a Nancy Drew for later, too. Mine is The Sign of the Twisted Candles."

I read that one a few months ago.

message 11: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments So far I have completed 4 books:
Little Women That I was almost finished with when I started the readathon
Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor Volume 4 - The School of Death Quick graphic novel
The Message in the Hollow Oak Which was good read from the 1930 edition
French Milk Which was witty and very descriptive graphic novel

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan | 353 comments Way to go Shannan!

message 13: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments Susan wrote: "Way to go Shannan!"

Thank you.

message 14: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments I have now finished 5 books. I will start number 6 but I will need to take a break for awhile. I just finished The Haunted Bridge (Nancy Drew, #15) by Carolyn Keene . Now I will start The Dark Heart of Italy by Tobias Jones . Hopefully get one chapter finished. It is after midnight here in Italy. I have to say it easier being in Europe and starting in the afternoon than when I lived on the East Coast and starting at 8am. I am not a morning person.

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments I have not read a Nancy Drew book. Is this your first Nancy Drew book or have you read more? Any that you would recommend? ~Ashley

message 16: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments I am back. I have not got much reading done since I went to bed. I have read maybe 10 pages because the book I am reading is so interesting that I stop to discuss it with my husband. I live here in Italy so it explains a lot to my American eyes why things are like they are. So I end up chuckling to myself. It is not all glitz and glamour here like every society it has its problems. There is a difference between living here and going on holiday here.

message 17: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments Colona Public Library wrote: "I have not read a Nancy Drew book. Is this your first Nancy Drew book or have you read more? Any that you would recommend? ~Ashley"

This is not my first run with Nancy Drew. I can say the only one I have disliked so far was the one about the Ivory Charm it was just boring and I did not care about the people she was trying to help.

message 18: by Shannan Lee (last edited Oct 22, 2017 05:14AM) (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments I had a great time during the readathon even though I could not read the whole time with church and needing rest.

Here are my totals:
5 books completed
900 pages read

I think I did well the first 12 hours but again life got in the way for the last 12.