Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > First time Participant: Stephanie’s plans for 2018

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (last edited Mar 13, 2018 10:30AM) (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments I am looking forward to participating and cheering everyone on this year. Here are my plans thus far, but I reserved the right to substitute titles in at any point. =) Also, I am not certain if I will proceed in order, or hop around--it will probably depend on what's happening each week in my work/personal life. And I am obviously jumping around to what is clicking at the given moment.

14/52 Completed

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title (finished 2-10-18)
Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list

3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards (link)

4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...) (Finished 2-20-18)
This Same Earth (Elemental Mysteries, #2) by Elizabeth Hunter

5. A book about or inspired by real events Finished 3/2/18
The Radium Girls The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore

6. A book originally written in a language other than English

7. A gothic novel

8. An "own voices" book* Finished 3/5/18
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)

10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published)

11. A literary fiction

12. A book set in Africa or South America

13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc) (Finished 1-14-18)
The Greatest Challenge Of Them All (Cynster #26; Cynster Next Generation #6) by Stephanie Laurens

14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire (Finished 2/20/18)
A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries, #1) by Elizabeth Hunter

15. A book with an unique format/writing structure (finished 1-1-18)
Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

16. A narrative nonfiction Finished 1-25-18
Killers of the Flower Moon The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann

17. A book you expect to make you laugh

18. A book with a location in the title

19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors)

20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends

21. A book written in first person perspective

22. A book you have high expectations or hope for

23. A medical or legal thriller

24. A book with a map

25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view

26. A book with a text only cover

. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc)Finished 3/13/18
Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1) by Nora Roberts

28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water (Finished 2/25/18)
A Fall of Water (Elemental Mysteries, #4) by Elizabeth Hunter

29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench)

30. A short book

31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to

32. An alternate history book

33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you (link)

34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call (link)--I decided to do books based on your Hogwarts House--I go between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw

35. A book featuring a murder

36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before (Finished 1/29/17)
Far from the Tree by Robin Benway

37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee (link1, link2)

38. A science book or a science fiction book

39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title

40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list

41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials

42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater

43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence

44. A ghost story

45. A book that intimidates/ scares you

46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air (Finished 2/24/18)
The Force of Wind (Elemental Mysteries, #3) by Elizabeth Hunter

47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own

48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)

49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists

50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer) Finished 1-20-18
The Bake-Off by Beth Kendrick

51. An award-winning short story or short story collection

52. A book published in 2018
Finished 1-17-18
The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan
--
Happy Reading!
Stephanie

message 2: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments Welcome to our challenge! Wishing you lots of luck and happy reading!

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments Thank you!

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Good luck to you and have fun! I haven't decided whether or not to read in order. I didn't this year, but might try to next year (at least for the first week or two)!

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments Tammy wrote: "Good luck to you and have fun! I haven't decided whether or not to read in order. I didn't this year, but might try to next year (at least for the first week or two)!"

Thank you! I am looking forward to it. :)

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan (mevans0517) I'm obsessed with your list. Mainly because I've read a good amount of them, and love them ALL! We have very similar tastes. You're in for a great year!

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments Megan wrote: "I'm obsessed with your list. Mainly because I've read a good amount of them, and love them ALL! We have very similar tastes. You're in for a great year!"

Thank you! I am looking forward to my list, though I admit I want to pick up quite a few of my titles on my list NOW. =)

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna TalentedReads Stephanie wrote: "I am looking forward to participating and cheering everyone on next year. Here are my plans thus far, but I reserved the right to substitute titles in at any point. =) Also, I am not certain if I w..."

You've got a lot of really good books in here!! How will you ever decide?! lol

Good luck on the Challenge!

message 9: by MJ (new)

MJ | 672 comments Welcome and good luck!

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 501 comments Great list. You will have a good year ahead. Safe Haven was a great book. Enjoy.

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments MJ wrote: "Welcome and good luck!"

Thank you!

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments Ashley wrote: "Great list. You will have a good year ahead. Safe Haven was a great book. Enjoy."

Thank you!

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments Looks like we have a few books in common!

Devoted is a great book. I read it last year for a prompt requiring a book about religion, which I was dreading, but I ended up loving the book! I can also highly recommend Big Little Lies

message 14: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
Love this list !! Happy reading :-)

message 15: by Stephanie (last edited Jan 31, 2018 03:43PM) (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments January's Progress Report:

Books Read in January: 6

Books in Progress:
Turtles All the Way Down by John Green The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Ratings for the Month
5 Stars:
Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan Far from the Tree by Robin Benway

4 Stars:
Killers of the Flower Moon The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann

3 Stars:
The Greatest Challenge Of Them All (Cynster #26; Cynster Next Generation #6) by Stephanie Laurens The Bake-Off by Beth Kendrick

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments Let's Chat January!

I am pretty happy with accomplishing six books this month--the new year has gotten off to a hectic start. Audiobooks are the best thing ever for crunch on time, or needing to get to bed early to get up early each day. :)

I have started my 7 and 8 books for the year: Turtles All the Way Down (audiobook--great so far, highly recommend it as an audiobook) and I am going to be picking up The Hate U Give.

How has your first month gone?! What books did you love so I can add them to my never ending TBR?

message 17: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
Stephanie, I can check off Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI for our group challenge?

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments Yes! I finished it up :) Almost done with Turtles All the Way Down

message 19: by Stephanie (last edited Mar 08, 2018 08:16AM) (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments February's Progress Report

Books Read in February: 6

Books in Progress
The Radium Girls The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Ratings for the Month:

4 Stars:
Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

3 Stars:
By Your Side by Kasie West A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries, #1) by Elizabeth Hunter This Same Earth (Elemental Mysteries, #2) by Elizabeth Hunter A Fall of Water (Elemental Mysteries, #4) by Elizabeth Hunter The Force of Wind (Elemental Mysteries, #3) by Elizabeth Hunter

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments Let's Chat February!

How can the second month already be over? Life is starting to get super busy now that it is March so my reading time will be decreasing.

This month I finished 6 books--not too shabby. I have two more I started in February, but I did not get a chance to finish them up until after March began.

How did your month go? What are you looking forward to in March? It is hard to believe after this next one, one quarter of the year will be finished!

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments March's Progress Report

Books finished: 3

Books in Progress:
Riders (Riders, #1) by Veronica Rossi

Ratings for the Month:
5 Stars:
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

3 Stars:
The Radium Girls The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1) by Nora Roberts