Start by marking “Riders (Riders, #1)” as Want to Read:
Riders (Riders, #1)

Riders

(Riders #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  4,088 Ratings  ·  940 Reviews
Nothing but death can keep eighteen-year-old Gideon Blake from achieving his goal of becoming a U.S. Army Ranger. As it turns out, it does.

While recovering from the accident that most definitely killed him, Gideon finds himself with strange new powers and a bizarre cuff he can’t remove. His death has brought to life his real destiny. He has become War, one of the legendary
Published February 16th 2016 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Riders, please sign up.
Myste Yeah, as Aurora says, to call this book romantic is a massive stretch. It's mostly just a guy who has feelings for the girl he's around, and that's as…moreYeah, as Aurora says, to call this book romantic is a massive stretch. It's mostly just a guy who has feelings for the girl he's around, and that's as far as it gets. The reason it's included in most books is because it's basic human nature, and would be pretty unrealistic to not include in one way or another. But hey, if you don't want to read it because of that, then it's your own loss because the book was amazing. (less)
YA Novels of 2016
1,291 books — 9,617 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,301 books — 6,911 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 3.5
You’re an incarnation of War. You’ve been given War’s abilities to carry out a mission.”

“So, this guy,” I said. “Conquest. The other horseman. Wait—girl?”

“Guy.” Daryn was looking through the front windshield like we were still driving. “You’re all guys.”

“So, no horsepersons?” It sounded ridiculous, but it was an honest question.
This book was a lot better than I thought. For example, when I found out that the main character was a male, I worried that he would behave and think
Emily May
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
I’d chosen to serve because I could fight and because until wars stopped happening, people like me were needed. I had zero problem doing whatever it took to keep harm from coming to innocent people. Zero problem. Period, exclamation point, and freakin’ hooah.

1 1/2 stars. This book is like watching a bunch of rowdy jocks downing dirty pints while chanting about sports teams. In other words, this is the most weirdly macho novel I've read since Men Without Women.

There's not much plot to be seen h
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Reread on Audio. I took it down from 5 to 4 but still enjoyed it!

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

******VERY MILD SPOILERS*******

I thought this book was brilliant! A young adult version of THE FOUR HORSEMEN, totally awesome.

Gideon is the first one we find out about in the book. He's in the military, he dies in said military, but comes back as WAR. He has a cuff on his arm and has abilities he knows nothing about. He is clueless as to what is going on. Gideon finds out when he's visiting hi
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I went into the reading of the RIDERS by Veronica Rossi blind.

Well, almost blind. I knew it was supposed to be more urban fantasy than sci-fi, like Rossi's last YA series. I knew there was probably going to be a flaming horse. AND I saw on Goodreads that more than one user had shelved it under mythology, but beyond that . . .?

Nuthin'.

Sometimes that works for me and sometimes it doesn't. This time it did. But regardless, I always think it's funny to be faced with my own
C.G. Drews
OH THIS BOOK IS GLORIOUS. I was very very very nervous going in because (A) I loooove Biblical mythology apocalypse stories LIKE IT'S SERIOUSLY COOL THE FOUR HORSEMAN DOING HORSEY STUFF AND SMITING THINGS AND YAY, so my expectations were super high; and (B) I really didn't like Under the Never Sky. Hahahhah....whoops. But I'm a firm believer in trying an author multiple times! Especially if they try new genres! SO HERE I AM. And it so paid off. My literal only complaint is I have no idea what in ...more
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Kelsi
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult

Buddyread with my big sis, Rachel

Riders is one of my most anticipated reads for 2016 so it’s not easy to be admitting that this wasn’t what I expected. The plot is intriguing and anyone who will read the blurb will be thrilled to read the book but when I finally delved into the story, the plot (and I’m hoping the sequels will prove me wrong) seemed to have condensed into your usual urban fantasy/superhero plot where a teenage girl (Seeker) has to do the most difficult task (because the
Sabrina The Trash Queen
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
”My team - an actor, a drunk, and a sociopath - didn't exactly inspire confidence.”

This book is incredibly funny and sarcastic.
I absolutely love the concept of The Four Horseman of the Apocalypse (seriously, anything remotely related to that I will read it), so clearly I had huge expectations.
And they were achieved.

The story had a steady pace, the writing is easy and incredibly funny to read.
I had a lot of LOL moments, and the sarcasm in this was on point.

The plot twist was completely unexpec
Natalie Monroe

"Gideon... you're the second rider. You are War, the red horseman. From Revelation."

I have the perfect gif for Riders. Wait for it... Wait for it...

Do you know how excited I was for Riders? I raged when I wasn't approved for an ARC. Well, not really. I said a swear word, petted my cat and went on with life.

But I was disappointed. I'm a big Supernatural fan and the Apocalypse arc was the highlight of the series. The first five seasons are dope. Two brothers and an angel fighting to st
nick
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Without any doubt, Riders was my must-read book of 2016. It was one of the only few books I was dying to get my hands on because as most of you may know, Veronica Rossi is an author I admire and worship. My expectations were sky-high when I went into the book, although I will admit to expecting it to be a fantasy series for some reason, which it isn't. Thankfully, Riders turned out to be a rather spectacular read that left me salivating for more at the end!

banner

Image courtesy of DeviantArt

male narration

If you
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
**4.5 stars**

Video Review: Coming Soon

Veronica Rossi has done it again, folks! I am a huge, huge fan of her Under the Never Sky trilogy so I was really looking forward to the release of riders. I sort of had a vague idea of what this book was about when I first heard about it, but I wanted to go into it blind. So I was really pleased when it had to do with a twist of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse lore/stories/scriptures.

I really loved the plot of this book. The story was so fascinating be
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always

This cover. I want to lick it.
Candace Robinson
The Under the Never Sky series is one of my favorites ever! So I finally got around to finishing this book. I'll admit when I tried a few years back, I just couldn't! But I'm glad I came around to it, because the freaken horses!!

The one thing that bothered me as it did last time was the back and forth between Gideon being questioned and then returning to what happened before. But by the end, it all makes sense and is worth it.

I loved that it's told strictly from Gideon's POV. You don't find a lo
Siiri (Little Pieces of Imagination)
;_______; The sound of series is basically all I've ever wanted.
I needs. Come here, precious.

description
Neil (or bleed)
I had never read a book about the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (and actually knew little about them) so the fact that I am so excited about it is an understatement. I don't know what to expect but I am sure it will deliver and I will enjoy reading it since Veronica Rossi wrote it. (She writes the Under the Never Sky trilogy which I really loved.)

And unsurprisingly, I do. I did.

Riders is a fun, page-turner read. I'd had a couple of laughs with the sarcasm and wittyness of the characters. The b
Alyssa

Book One of the Riders series
Publisher: Tor Teen
Publication Date: February 16, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publsher

Summary (from Goodreads):

For eighteen-year-old Gideon Blake, nothing but death can keep him from achieving his goal of becoming a U.S. Army Ranger. As it turns out, it does.

Recovering from the accident that most definitely killed him, Gideon finds himself with strange new powers and a bizarre cuff
Anna
Mar 05, 2015 marked it as tbr

I am quite intrigued, after the last 20 or so pages. I might just pre-order this in the next few days.
Rachel Maniacup
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Rachel by: Kelsi
This sweet,lovely friend of mine recommended this book to me and to my sister AJ the Ravenous Reader because,not only that this book mentioned our country here(the main character said: Joy was cute,and told me about all the great beaches in the Philippines where she's from..some place called Cebu),but it's also "bloody amazing" and most of all, it's about "horses and horsemen!" Yeah,my friend KELSI love horses!And why not?She,herself is a horselady 'cause she's a very young tough,lady and a very ...more
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
Riders was enthralling, addicting and I fell madly in love with this story.  A story where death created a journey that was filled with new-found powers and struggles at every turn. I couldn't help falling for the main male character and his fellow horsemen.  I also adored a girl who seemed to hold all of the answers to their questions.  All of these elements together created a fabulous book that landed right on my favorites shelf!  Riders is definitely a must read!

What are you looking at, Gi
Joel (Throne of books)
*2.5ish stars*
When I first heard this was about the Four horsemen of the apocalypse, I was beyond ecstatic.

Unfortunately, this was a bit of a disappointment. I expected more of ... Well, EVERYTHING. The romance for one, is barely existent. And let me tell you, the story starts of with our main character being held tied up to a chair and being questioned by the government or who ever it is that investigates cases like these.
If you're a fan of Veronica Rossi's previous series, there's a 50/50
Dany
May 04, 2015 marked it as to-read
I don't know why, but for some reason the first thing that cross my mind was:

(Okay, the premise wasn't the same but it remembers me a season of the series. And the horsemen of the Apocalypse are not precisely a new thing)
Jaime Arkin
When you pick up this book, please do not expect Under the Never Sky.

Seriously, I think that sometimes we set preconceived ideas when we start a new series from a beloved author based on their previous work, and you do a disservice to both yourself and the author when you do that.

Riders is absolutely nothing like UNTS and rightly so. Set in our world, the story revolves around angels, demons and the Four Horsemen … OF THE APOCALYPSE. Yes that’s right.

Rossi tells this story in a series of flas
Kiki
Fun in places, agonising in others, with an ending like one of those Lord of the Rings movies: endless, fucking endless, filled with impossible stunts and going through a bitter divorce with physics. There's also the last chapter, which I absolutely could not wrap my head around. What the fuck was going on there.

(I also want to add, because it was something that stuck out to me, and something that bothered me, that Marcus was my favourite character. I really, really liked him. He was barely ther
Michael
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
Holy horses (I don't even think that qualifies as a pun but bear with my my thoughts are still recovering).

This book was everything I was hoping it would be and more. Like, I set my expectation high based on that plot summary and boy did this book come through.

First, I'm really digging unique storytelling methods this year, and this one definitely fell in that category. It was such a unique way to reveal two timelines at once!

And the characters. Gideon really doesn't have the qualities of a char
Danielle (Love at First Page)

4.5-5 stars

This is the lowest rating I've given to a Veronica Rossi book and it's still almost five stars. I love her writing so, so much! Breathtaking prose, snappy dialogue, endearing characters, swoony romance, creative world building... And you guys have to meet Gideon; his is one of the best male POVs I've ever read. Can't wait for the sequel!
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
After her extremely successful Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi’s sophomore project is finally here, and I dare say it’s slightly different from what her readers expected. Told from a male point of view, Riders is based on the New Testament story about the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse. In her story, Conquest, War, Famine and Death are reincarnated (or rather embodied) as four teenage boys, all of whom had to die in order to become what they are.

Our narrator is one of the Four Horse
B.A. Wilson
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya, paranormal
SECOND REVIEW:
I reread this book before reading the sequel, Seeker. This time around, I listened to the audiobook, which was fantastic. I'm glad I listened, because I couldn't remember enough to move forward with the second book. I hate that feeling of confusion, and it was nice to revisit this story. I really enjoy Gideon's POV and sense of humor.

FIRST REVIEW:

I received an ARC of RIDERS through a Twitter contest and quickly fell in love. This story isn’t even published yet, and I’m anxious f
BookOwl BookOwl
UPDATE 10/9/2016

Re-Read!

Even now I can't stop thinking about this book. I'm still spellbound!!! If you havent read this as yet, you should now. I promise you, it won't disappoint!

REVIEW BELOW WAS POSTED 12/06/2016

THIS. WAS. AMAZING!

I know I just used a word to describe how I'm feeling after reading this gem of a book but I still feel like that one word isn't strong enough to let you guys know just how truly amazing this book is.

I mean, what the hell did I just read?!!!!

I can't. I just CANNOT!
Stacee
This was awesome. I wasn't sure what to expect, but the synopsis was cool and it's Veronica, so for me it was a no-brainer.

It was a bit of a slow burn, but once I settled into the rhythm it was fantastic. The imagery is perfection, the boys act like macho boys, there are some subtle swoons, a few laughs, and a hell of a lot of creepy.

I've seen some mixed reviews, but I loved every page. The ending is quite intriguing and I'm eager to see how it plays out for book 2.

**Huge thanks to Holly for
Britt
Feb 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book fell incredibly flat for me. The concept was okay but it was the narration and MC that I was NOT a fan of in the least. He clearly thought he was funny and amazing and he was not in the least. In fact I think the word I would use is obnoxious. The whole story the characters are kept in the dark as well as the readers. By the time you get the "thing" you don't give two fucks anymore. If you like choppy narration with a string along plot that is less than statisfying then this book is al ...more
Colleen Houck
Oh boy I love the horses and their names! I wish I had one of my own. I don't think I'd be a very good horse owner in real life. Dogs are plenty to keep me busy, but horses I could summon with my mind. Umm...yes! I really like how this book started where you're not sure what's going on and then as it goes along everything becomes clear. It's a really unique storytelling style. It reminds me of the storytelling in the X-Files.
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Sun, the Moon, and the Truth
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • Twilight of the Gods
  • Titans
  • Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
  • Blackhearts (Blackhearts, #1)
  • Ruined (Ruined, #1)
  • #girlnovel
  • Reign of Shadows (Reign of Shadows, #1)
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold, #1)
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • The Shadow Hour (The Girl at Midnight, #2)
  • Nemesis (Nemesis #1)
Veronica Rossi's debut novel, UNDER THE NEVER SKY, will be published in over twenty-five international markets, starting on January 3rd 2012 in the United States. Film rights to the trilogy have been optioned by Warner Bros.

Riders (2 books)
  • Seeker (Riders, #2)
“My team - an actor, a drunk, and a sociopath - didn't exactly inspire confidence.” 12 likes
“I don't think that incident necessarily defines you as bad. I think it makes you human. And I believe you would have stopped yourself. I think that's what makes a person good. Not that you make mistakes, but that you recognize them. You feel remorse for them. You want to correct them and do better.” 10 likes