Horror Aficionados discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads > Nominations for November Group Read!

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Char (last edited Oct 19, 2017 05:22AM) (new)

Char  | 13711 comments Mod
It's time to put together our polls for November's group read!

There are only a few rules:

Books read by this group in the last year are disqualified.

Independent authors may NOT nominate their own books.

The book must be widely available, as our group is an international one and we want everyone to be able to participate!

Books with more than 1 nomination are more likely to make it to the final polls, so be don't be afraid to "second" or "third" a book.

message 2: by Lena (last edited Oct 19, 2017 05:29AM) (new)

message 3: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Archer | 36 comments Hmmm, what to read between Halloween and Christmas!

Has the group read Suicide Forest by Jeremy Bates yet?

Nice walk in the woods, very autumnal.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Warneke | 3 comments (Carrion Comfort)

message 7: by John (last edited Oct 19, 2017 06:27AM) (new)

John (jrd1st) I second Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman

message 8: by Badseedgirl (new)

Badseedgirl | 531 comments I second Those Across the River. Buehlman!

message 9: by Char (new)

I will FOURTH Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman .

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 186 comments I also second Those Across the River. Fantastic novel, well worth a reread.

message 11: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Dark (goodreadscomdaniel_dark) | 9 comments Knife's Tell by Daniel Dark

message 12: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2875 comments Mod
The Dead Path by Stephen M. Irwin

message 13: by joyce g (new)

joyce g | 30 comments Those across the river.

message 14: by WendyB (last edited Oct 19, 2017 07:49AM) (new)

WendyB  | 2875 comments Mod
Daniel wrote: "Knife's Tell by Daniel Dark"

Sorry Daniel, if you read the first post, you'll see that authors may not nominate their own books.

message 15: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments I nominate:
Carrion Comfort

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5733 comments Mod
I'll nominate The Lesser Dead by Christopher Buehlman The Lesser Dead, since I've read nothing except incredible reviews for this one.

message 17: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) | 476 comments Aaron wrote: "Hmmm, what to read between Halloween and Christmas!

Nice walk in the woods, very autumnal."

I absolutely love Bates' work. When The Forest came out, I thought it was his lol. Probably would have been much better if it had been. Have you read the rest of the series in his World's Scariest Places?

I nominate Such Nice People by Sandra Scoppettone. It has a bit of a Christmas tone to it to get you in the mood. No Kindle version, but the physical copies are pretty cheap.

message 18: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Char wrote: "I will FOURTH Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman."

I'll fifth this one since I've already read The Lesser Dead and it was awesome.

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Bark's Book Nonsense wrote: "Char wrote: "I will FOURTH Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman."

I'll fifth this one since I've already read The Lesser Dead and it was awesome."

I think I'll get a copy of that one, too, since the synopsis sounds great...

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  | 40 comments I second Suicide Forest. I must read the rest of his series.

message 21: by Nate (new)

Nate (the_enobee) | 147 comments I'll second The Delicate Dependency. Michael Talbot is amazing, and I'm planning on reading this one soon anyway.

message 22: by Kieron (new)

Kieron I 2nd The Lesser Dead. Like the look of this one.

message 23: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikebrough) | 24 comments I'd vote for Carrion Comfort too but I think we need to remember that November is a short month and this book is over 800 pages long.

Just saying.

message 24: by Boon (new)

Boon Behir | 2 comments The Father of Flesh, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Like 350 pages, pretty quick read. I have the audio book and am going to read it once I get paid.

message 25: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10683 comments Mod
Aaron wrote: "Hmmm, what to read between Halloween and Christmas!

Nice walk in the woods, very autumnal."

I think we have but it's been years ago. let me check. . I think it was in 2015 cause that's when I read it lol and I'm pretty sure it was with a group here.

message 26: by Latasha (new)

Kimberly wrote: "I'll nominate The Lesser Dead by Christopher Buehlman The Lesser Dead, since I've read nothing except incredible reviews for this one."

I second this.

message 27: by Latasha (new)

Kimberly wrote: "Bark's Book Nonsense wrote: "Char wrote: "I will FOURTH Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman."

I'll fifth this one since I've already read The Lesser Dead and it was awesome."

I think I'll..."

and this! I thought I had read it but nope! it was a different one.

message 28: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa52572) | 79 comments Those Across the River sounds fantastic. Second choice is The Dead Path by Stephen M. Irwin .

message 29: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments I third Suicide Forest. It's free on Amazon right now, as well.

message 30: by Krystal (last edited Oct 19, 2017 03:31PM) (new)

message 31: by Kimberly (new)

I'll second The Dead Path by Stephen M. Irwin The Dead Path. I've never heard of it before now, but it looks really good!

message 32: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments Another vote for Those Across the River. It's one I actually own, but haven't read yet.

message 33: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 442 comments If Suicide forest is free I'll second that. It would be nice to read.

message 34: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3441 comments I will second "The Red Mohawk".

message 35: by Char (new)

There's still time to get your suggestions, (or seconds or thirds) in. Looks like we have a great variety this month!

message 36: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2380 comments Thanks Marie! It’s a short 80s tribute slasher that was everything awesome Final Girl was NOT.

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments I will second The Small Hand by Susan Hill

message 38: by Rouxmia (new)

Rouxmia Roest | 7 comments Suicide Forest :)

message 39: by Kris Melson (new)

Kris Melson | 3 comments How about off season by jack Ketchum or what the hell did I just read the new John dies at the end book

message 40: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3441 comments Lena wrote: "Thanks Marie! It’s a short 80s tribute slasher that was everything awesome Final Girl was NOT."

You are welcome, Lena! I read the review and it is right up my alley! I love books like that!

message 41: by Anne (w/ an E) (last edited Oct 20, 2017 09:14PM) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 746 comments My vote is for Suicide Forest.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

message 43: by Kimberly (new)

Marie wrote: "Lena wrote: "Thanks Marie! It’s a short 80s tribute slasher that was everything awesome Final Girl was NOT."

You are welcome, Lena! I read the review and it is right up my alley! I love books like..."

Anything Marie likes generally makes its way into my TBR pile... ;)

message 44: by Badseedgirl (new)

Badseedgirl | 531 comments I'll second The Passage just because it is a kick ass book!

message 45: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3441 comments Kimberly wrote: "Marie wrote: "Lena wrote: "Thanks Marie! It’s a short 80s tribute slasher that was everything awesome Final Girl was NOT."

You are welcome, Lena! I read the review and it is right up my alley! I l..."

I am happy to know that I am mainly responsible for feeding your book addiction, Kimberly! LOL! :)

message 46: by Myst (new)

Myst | 398 comments Kimberly wrote: "I'll nominate The Lesser Dead by Christopher Buehlman The Lesser Dead, since I've read nothing except incredible reviews for this one."

Another vote for this one.

message 47: by Red (last edited Oct 21, 2017 01:59PM) (new)

Red | 15 comments I third? Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. And also, White Is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi, or the extremely creepy story of The Devil in Silver by Victor LaValle.

~Red

message 48: by Char (new)

Awesome!

I wish I had noted The Dead Path before yesterday. I had a chance to meet the author, but I didn't recognize his name.

I'm putting together the polls now, so I'm closing this thread. Look for a poll message later today.

Thanks everyone!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.