What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Books set in England period around first and Second World War

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by There (new)

There | 121 comments I just now finished reading the little stranger by Sarah waters and loved the writing. I found the ghost story to be average, but the way she has written it amazing.its set post world war 2 , and we get to see the decline of the noble class n rise of working class.

So I m looking for similar kind of books,any genre is fine. Sound be based before/ after first n Second World War, where we get to see both noble and working class. I don’t want to read about actual war.
And I would prefer male first person narrative.
Thanks in advance.

message 2: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5096 comments If you've read The Secret Garden, this sequel spans a long period of Empire history: Return to the Secret Garden.

message 3: by There (new)

There | 121 comments THank you, yes the secret garden is on my TBR list, I’ll look into the sequel.

message 4: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 333 comments If you like mysteries, Dorothy Sayers series about Lord Peter Wimsey is set in that era and deals a bit with class issues. The first is Whose Body?. It's third person, but it does stick almost entirely to Peter's POV.

The Remains of the Day might also fit.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
That "male" part has me stumped for books that fit your parameters. I can think of a couple of series that would fit, but the mc is female in them. Let me think some more and commune with the minor mountain range that is my posted to GR books (closing in on 5k read books now) and maybe I'll be able to come up with something else.

message 6: by Mark- (new)

Mark- | 45 comments Loitering with Intent by Muriel Spark, I thought was very charming in that time period. There is a female lead, though.

message 8: by There (new)

There | 121 comments Thank you all, I’ll look into these.

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Oh, finally, remembered a BIGGIE. The Lord Peter Wimsey series. Whose Body? is the first one. Mystery series. Lord Peter is, as you can tell by his title, a member of the moneyed aristocracy. His father was a duke, as is his older brother. He served in WWI and came out of it with a slight case of shell-shock. Now he solves mysteries. Most are set in the roaring 20's, with all the excitement that that entails.

I'm also going to suggest Agatha Christie's Hercules Poirot books. I think she started writing those in the early 20's and the last one was set some time in the late 50's or very early 60's. I think. It's been a while since I read them, though. Since the newest film version of Murder on the Orient Express is set to release soon (November 10 for enquiring minds) this is a good time to recommend that book. Although technically not set entirely in England, it's still one of her best works, and is essentially a "locked room" murder, only the suspects are all on a train that is stranded in a snow storm. . .

message 10: by Nente (new)

Nente | 69 comments I see another Evelyn Waugh mentioned above by Lobstergirl, but check out Brideshead Revisited too.