Time Travel discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Club Discussions > Nominations Open for 2018 - CLOSED

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (last edited Oct 17, 2017 01:29PM) (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 1048 comments Mod
Time sure goes by fast! It’s that time of year to think about what books we should read as a group for next year.

This is where you can nominate books for us to read as a group for 2018. You're welcome to nominate anything that we haven't yet read.

We are going to vote in December. Not through a poll. Just like 2017, you will list your top choices for books you actually want to read (and hopefully come back and participate in the discussion).

Books We've Already Read:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2017 Nominations:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Check the list of what we have already read if you pick a book that was nominated in 2017 to make sure it wasn’t read in 2017. The timeline is missing a few books.

message 2: by Nancy (last edited Nov 30, 2017 11:37AM) (new)

Behold the Man by Michael Moorcock

Behold the Man

Karl Glogauer is a disaffected modern professional casting about for meaning in a series of half-hearted relationships, a dead-end job, and a personal struggle. His questions of faith surrounding his father's run-of-the-mill Christianity and his mother's suppressed Judaism lead him to a bizarre obsession with the idea of the messiah. After the collapse of his latest affair and his introduction to a reclusive physics professor, Karl is given the opportunity to confront his obsession and take a journey that no man has taken before, and from which he knows he cannot return.

Upon arriving in Palestine, A.D. 29, Glogauer finds that Jesus Christ is not the man that history and faith would like to believe, but that there is an opportunity for someone to change the course of history by making the ultimate sacrifice.

First published in 1969, Behold the Man broke through science fiction's genre boundaries to create a poignant reflection on faith, disillusion and self-sacrifice. This is the classic novel that established the career of perhaps contemporary science fiction's most cerebral and innovative author.

144 pages
$13.93
No Kindle version, might find at the library

Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1) by Dan Simmons

Hyperion

On the world called Hyperion, beyond the law of the Hegemony of Man, there waits the creature called the Shrike. There are those who worship it. There are those who fear it. And there are those who have vowed to destroy it. In the Valley of the Time Tombs, where huge, brooding structures move backward through time, the Shrike waits for them all. On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope—and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.

482 pages
$4.99 Kindle
$13.89 paperback
Available at most libraries

Time Traveler Chronicles by Robert Werden

Time Traveler Chronicles

Evelyn Carter, a young, struggling video news stringer, is recruited to join an elite government-run time travel agency. She and her team travel through time with the public goal of collecting artifacts lost to time and capturing historical events on video for the world to see.

Along the way, she learns of a secret in history so terrifying that it must be kept hidden from the public at all costs. Lost history, top secret agendas, and a frightening future are just the beginning. Something massive is about to happen and it is up to the team to find a way to stop it.

Buried deep in the past, the puzzle pieces start to fit together. For the team to stop the unstoppable, they must journey farther through time and space than anyone thought possible.

358 pages
$2.99 Kindle version
$16.99 paperback

Walking With Ghosts A REACh Time Travel Adventure by Harry Hyndman

Walking With Ghosts: A REACh Time Travel Adventure

Jack Lambert, Catherine Kennedy and Sean Gifford comprise Team 2 at the top secret Research Establishment of Applied Chronology. They embark on their first mission for ‘REACh’ on what should be a soft 'observe and record' assignment. Travelling back in time to Bishopsgate, in Edwardian England, the fledgling chrononauts quickly find that things don't go quite to plan. While Jack, a collector of risqué postcards from the era, decides to take the opportunity to indulge his interest, Catherine finds herself rubbing shoulders with Suffragettes which leads to them becoming enmeshed in a struggle for survival against the activities of both the local police and a wicked criminal gang.

236 pages
$1.20 Kindle version
$6.30 paperback

Defining Moments by Faye Hicks

Defining Moments

Scientist Ellie Ward has discovered a window to the past. In fact, she discovered it at her childhood home when she was nine and she’s been using it to extract herself from bad situations ever since. Each time it's returned her to the 'defining moment' in her past - the point in time where a bad decision set her on the path to tragedy. The problem is, Ellie never knows what her defining moments were and so she never has any idea how much of her life she's going to have to repeat to avoid her latest ordeal. When Ellie’s research takes her to a remote area of northern Canada, she faces yet another crisis when her small plane crashes in the bush. Seriously injured and stranded more than 2000 miles from her portal to the past, this time Ellie has no way to ‘rewind the clock’.

266 pages
$0.99 Kindle version
$8.99 paperback

Caught in a Moment by Martin Dukes

Caught in a Moment

Caught in a Moment is the story of Alex Trueman, a teenager who daydreams himself unwittingly into the strange world of Intersticia. This is a world outside of ordinary time, that exists in the slender intervals between instants. From Alex's point of view the world around him freezes into immobility. At first it seems that he alone is free to wander the hushed streets with their motionless cars and people. But he is not alone. Alex soon discovers that he shares the world with others. There are a few dozen fellow daydreamers who share his fate. There is plump, bespectacled Will, pretty brunette Kelly, and the rebellious outcast Paulo. Presiding over them all is the enigmatic Ganymede, and irascible vagrant who distributes food to his dependents and sets them perverse tasks to perform in return.

Alex soon finds that he has rare skills in Intersticia. Most uniquely he can affect the motionless world of 'Statica' around them. He can open doors, help himself to food, and move objects. But this forbidden activity soon sets him on a collision course with Ganymede in which the very existence of Intersticia is put at risk.

250 pages
$2.99 Kindle version
$8.99 paperback

Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #1) by Jodi Taylor

Just One Damned Thing After Another

"History is just one damned thing after another."

Behind the seemingly innocuous façade of St Mary's, a different kind of historical research is taking place. They don't do 'time-travel' - they 'investigate major historical events in contemporary time'. Maintaining the appearance of harmless eccentrics is not always within their power - especially given their propensity for causing loud explosions when things get too quiet.

Meet the disaster-magnets of St Mary's Institute of Historical Research as they ricochet around History. Their aim is to observe and document - to try and find the answers to many of History's unanswered questions...and not to die in the process. But one wrong move and History will fight back - to the death. And, as they soon discover - it's not just History they're fighting.

Follow the catastrophe curve from 11th-century London to World War I, and from the Cretaceous Period to the destruction of the Great Library at Alexandria. For wherever Historians go, chaos is sure to follow in their wake....

282 pages
$3.99 Kindle version
$10.78 paperback
Free ePub download on book’s GR page

The Road to Alexander (The Time for Alexander #1) by Jennifer Macaire

The Road to Alexander

After winning a prestigious award, Ashley is chosen to travel through time and interview a historical figure. Choosing her childhood hero Alexander the Great, she is sent back in time for less than a day. He mistakes her for Persephone, goddess of the dead, and kidnaps her, stranding her in his own time. What follows, after she awakes under the pomegranate tree, is a hilarious, mind-bending tale of a modern woman immersed in the ancient throes of sex, love, quite a bit of vino, war, death and ever so much more.

244 pages
$2.99 Kindle version
$12.99 paperback

The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1) by Terry Pratchett

The Long Earth

From the back jacket:

NORMALLY, WHEN THERE WAS NOTHING TO DO, HE LISTENED TO THE SILENCE.

The Silence was very faint here. Almost drowned out by the sounds of the mundane world. Did people in this polished building understand how noisy it was? The roar of air conditioners and computer fans, the susurration of many voices heard but not decipherable.... This was the office of the transEarth Institute, an arm of the Black Corporation. The faceless office, all plasterboard and chrome, was dominated by a huge logo, a chesspiece knight. This wasn't Joshua's world. None of it was his world. In fact, when you got right down to it, he didn't have a world; he had all of them.

ALL OF THE LONG EARTH.

From the inside jacket:

The possibilites are endless. Just be careful what you wish for....)

1916: The Western Front. Private Percy Blakeney wakes up. He is lying on fresh spring grass. He can hear birdsong, and the wind in the leaves. Where has the mud, blood and blasted landscape of no-man's-land gone? For that matter, where has Percy gone?

2015: Madison, Wisconsin. Police officer Monica Jansson is exploring the burned-out home of a reclusive--some said mad, others allege dangerous--scientist who seems to have vanished. Sifting through the wreckage, Jansson finds a curious gadget: a box containing some rudimentary wiring, a three-way switch, and...a potato. It is the prototype of an invention that will change the way humankind views the world forever.

336 pages
$5.99 Kindle version
$9.97 paperback
Possibly at the library

Legend by Jude Deveraux

Legend

Elizabeth Kady Long is 30 years old, an accomplished chef, and engaged to handsome Gregory Norman, her employer's son. While shopping for her wedding, she impulsively buys a large, dusty tin box at an antique shop. When she pries it open, she discovers an 1873 wedding dress and underpinnings, together with a photo of a family. Intrigued, she can't resist trying on the dress, and when she does, she's drawn back into the past. The year is 1873, the place is Legend, Colorado, and Cole Jordan is about to be hanged.

404 pages
$7.99 Kindle edition
Cheap used paperbacks
Library

Paradox Bound by Peter Clines

Paradox Bound

Eli’s willing to admit it: he’s a little obsessed with the mysterious woman he met years ago. Okay, maybe a lot obsessed. But come on, how often do you meet someone who’s driving a hundred-year-old car, clad in Revolutionary-War era clothes, wielding an oddly modified flintlock rifle—someone who pauses just long enough to reveal strange things about you and your world before disappearing in a cloud of gunfire and a squeal of tires?

So when the traveler finally reappears in his life, Eli is determined that this time he’s not going to let her go without getting some answers. But his determination soon leads him into a strange, dangerous world and a chase not just across the country but through a hundred years of history—with nothing less than America’s past, present, and future at stake.

373 pages
$12.99 Kindle version
Libraries

This is a new release. This would be good for the end of next year when paperbacks might be available.

Glimpses by Lewis Shiner

Glimpses

Ray Shackleford lives in the ruins of the idealistic 1960s. Veteran of failed garage bands, he works as a repairman of stereo equipment, tending the dying embers of his marriage, and dreaming of bygone days and the music that almost was.
When he finds the music he dreams of has been mysteriously recorded by his tape deck, Ray is drawn into the past, to revisit the histories of Hendrix, Morrison, and the Beatles...along with the history of Ray Shackleford.
Vividly re-creating a lost era that might have been, "Glimpses "fuses the hopes and dreams in the music with a powerful vision of reality.

328 pages
$4.99 Kindle
$7.50 paperback
Libraries

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Reserved

message 4: by David (new)

David Lutkins I'll nominate Behold the Man by Michael Moorcock. Originally published as a novella, the book won a Nebula in 1967.

message 5: by Dean (new)

Dean | 157 comments Can Hyperion by Dan Simmons go back on the list as it just missed out on being picked this year.

message 6: by Robert (last edited Oct 17, 2017 07:23AM) (new)

Robert Werden | 8 comments Time Traveler Chronicles me, Robert Werden
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

This is my first book, and first writing project.

message 7: by Harry (new)

Harry Hyndman | 10 comments Walking With Ghosts: A REACh Time Travel Adventure
Can I nominate this The first of my REACh series, if you can forgive the shameless self-promotion.

message 8: by Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (last edited Oct 17, 2017 10:53AM) (new)

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 902 comments To remind us of other books that were nominated just last year but didn't make it, like "Hyperion," I found this thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I nominate Faye Hicks' Defining Moments. It's quietly collecting digital dust on my tablet and I apparently need a push to read it, even though I feel confident I'll enjoy it.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd be interested to hear what people think of 'Caught in a Moment;, the first in my Alex Trueman trilogy. It features a way of looking at time that is rather different to the usual approach. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 10: by Nancy (new)

Dean wrote: "Can Hyperion by Dan Simmons go back on the list as it just missed out on being picked this year."

Yep!

Feel free to nominate books from last year’s list. Maybe they will get enough votes the next time around.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Macaire | 59 comments "Just One Thing After Another" was a fun read, and Jodi Taylor is a terrific author. Just One Damned Thing After Another
"The Road to Alexander" is my baby - if you were sent back in time to interview a famous person, who would you choose? Ashley chooses Alexander the Great - and he mistakes her for Persephone! The Road to Alexander Both books are published by Accent Press -

message 12: by Nancy (new)

Jennifer wrote: ""Just One Thing After Another" was a fun read, and Jodi Taylor is a terrific author. Just One Damned Thing After Another
"The Road to Alexander" is my baby - if you were sent back i..."

Jennifer, the Amazon link on your book’s page takes you to a bad link. I had to search amazon for your book to find it.

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Ok, I am putting a cap on the number of group members nominating their own books and we have reached the limit.

Thanks for understanding!

Also, if you did nominate your book in time (and I included it above), please make sure you have read rule #6 in the tipsand rules for our authors thread (https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

6. Nominate Your Novel For Our Book Club: Not all book club book nominations are open to authors who are group members, but be on the lookout for the months that nominations are open for you. Don't wait quietly hoping that someone will notice your book and nominated it for you. Be proactive for yourself. Just be sure that, if the book of the month has a particular theme that your book fits the theme. And DO NOT get your friends to nominate your book or make up fake profiles to boost your votes. If we realize that you've done this, we'll disqualify your book.

The last part is the important part. That’s a big pet peeve of mine.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 180 comments I want to renominate The Long Earth

message 15: by Nancy (new)

Jennifer wrote: "I want to renominate The Long Earth"

Yes!

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Macaire | 59 comments Nancy wrote: "Jennifer wrote: ""Just One Thing After Another" was a fun read, and Jodi Taylor is a terrific author. Just One Damned Thing After Another
"The Road to Alexander" is my baby - if you..."

I'm sorry about that - I floundered around and finally figured out that the isbn was incorrect, so, after looking at the problem from all angles, I managed to change it (this sci-fi writer does not let technology get the better of her!). Thank you for pointing it out!

message 17: by Nancy (new)

Your welcome! Didn’t want people clicking on your book’s Amazon link and not finding it.

message 18: by Dean (new)

Dean | 157 comments Nancy wrote: "Ok, I am putting a cap on the number of group members nominating their own books and we have reached the limit.

Thanks for understanding!

Also, if you did nominate your book in time (and I inclu..."

Good call. I really hope that 'vote-rigging' doesn't take place - would be miffed to think that was influencing some of the books I have read. Anyone found guilty should be fed to the Morlocks.

message 19: by Siddhi (new)

Siddhi Palande (book_gobbler) | 1 comments Legand by Jude Deveraux

message 20: by Nancy (last edited Oct 20, 2017 08:31PM) (new)

Siddhi wrote: "Legand by Jude Deveraux"

Is this the book? Legend

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 180 comments Nancy wrote: "Siddhi wrote: "Legand by Jude Deveraux"

Is this the book? Legend"

That one sounds fun.

message 22: by Nancy (last edited Oct 20, 2017 08:58PM) (new)

I am going to nominate Paradox Bound.

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Kuhn (kevinkuhn) | 14 comments I would like to nominate my novel - Do You Realize?. I hate doing self-promotion, but I think this group would enjoy it. It won 2nd place in the SIBA Book Awards for Time Travel. It was also the Bronze medal winner for Visionary Fiction in the Readers' Favorite Book Awards. It currently has 4.9 stars on Amazon - and is ranked #2 on Amazon for non-romantic Time Travel Paperbacks based on Average Customer Review. I will say it is light on sci-fi and heavy on character development and philosophy. I hope you'll consider it!

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Kuhn (kevinkuhn) | 14 comments Kevin wrote: "I would like to nominate my novel - Do You Realize?. I hate doing self-promotion, but I think this group would enjoy it. It won 2nd place in the SIBA Book Awards for Time Travel. It..."

Sorry - I just read the message 13 above - I apologize and withdraw my nomination!!!

message 25: by Nancy (new)

No problem! Try again next round.

message 26: by Nancy (new)

Any more nominations?

I would like to start voting by December 1st. This is for next years group reads.

message 27: by Heather(Gibby) (last edited Nov 29, 2017 09:56AM) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 427 comments I will make a last minute submission

Glimpses It might be a little hard to find though, but it looks like it has a slightly different slant than other time travel books, so might be a bit of fresh air. It has been billed as time travel for music lovers.

message 28: by Jayne (new)

Jayne Hackett | 5 comments Hi
May I suggest my own novel Shadow of the Savernake?
Jayne Hackett

message 29: by Nancy (new)

Jayne wrote: "Hi
May I suggest my own novel Shadow of the Savernake?
Jayne Hackett"

See post 13.

message 30: by Nancy (new)

Heather(Gibby) wrote: "I will make a last minute submission

Glimpses It might be a little hard to find though, but it looks like it has a slightly different slant than other time travel books, so might be ..."

I will get it added. It looks like it might be available at the library. It’s in my libraries system so people need to check if that’s a factor for them reading a book club choice.

message 31: by Nancy (last edited Dec 01, 2017 05:18AM) (new)

Nominations are closed and voting has begun. To vote for which books you want to read as a group next year, click on the link:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.