Secret Santa gift exchange! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
207 views
2017 Gift Exchange > Technical Questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 158 (158 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (dentistinmysparetime) | 1751 comments Mod
Having an issue with something? Post it here.

Oh- and don't forget to sign up at out Elfster site!

https://www.elfster.com/exchange/view...


message 2: by Ami (new)

Ami (amie_07) | 276 comments Just curious, with ARe no longer available, is there an alternative retailer that can do book gifting across geography? I mean, I know that Amazon can have Geo restriction, right?


Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (dentistinmysparetime) | 1751 comments Mod
Ami wrote: "Just curious, with ARe no longer available, is there an alternative retailer that can do book gifting across geography? I mean, I know that Amazon can have Geo restriction, right?"

What about Kobo?


Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (dentistinmysparetime) | 1751 comments Mod
Or the publisher sites themselves?


message 5: by Ami (new)

Ami (amie_07) | 276 comments I don't know, I have never used Kobo for gifting. Have to check.

But other than M/M publishers, I think M/F publishers will also have geo restriction (I've encountered that issue with Harlequin). Oh, well, thanks Heather. I guess I hope that my elf will be one with M/M interest, it'll be much easier *lol*


message 6: by MountainKat (new)

MountainKat | 67 comments Worst case you can do gift cards, even sending an anonymous message on Elfster with the book/s you would have purchased so they know you did want to send individual books.


~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 345 comments MountainKat wrote: "Worst case you can do gift cards, even sending an anonymous message on Elfster with the book/s you would have purchased so they know you did want to send individual books."

Oh that's a good idea.


Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (dentistinmysparetime) | 1751 comments Mod
Ami wrote: "I don't know, I have never used Kobo for gifting. Have to check.

But other than M/M publishers, I think M/F publishers will also have geo restriction (I've encountered that issue with Harlequin). ..."


I actually don't know if you can gift with Kobo... I'll have to check it out further!


message 9: by Christelle (new)

Christelle | 472 comments Ami wrote: "I don't know, I have never used Kobo for gifting. Have to check.

But other than M/M publishers, I think M/F publishers will also have geo restriction (I've encountered that issue with Harlequin). ..."


I have the same issues as I'm from France. So far, I haven't found the equivalence of Are :-( Either there is a geo restriction or a proprietary format that can't be converted, either the choice is very poor, either there is no gift options.
So far, the less "worst" option is Riptide, but of course, it's limited to the books published :-(
If I can find something better, I will share with you !!


Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (dentistinmysparetime) | 1751 comments Mod
What about smashwords?


message 11: by Josy (new)

Josy (aceofhearts83) | 668 comments Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "What about smashwords?"

Hi, Heather :)
I'm just popping in real quick because GR isn't working properly for me today :(
Smashwords could actually work! I haven't thought of it so thanks for mentioning it!
I don't know about their selection but here's how their gifting process works and it sounds good :)
https://www.smashwords.com/about/gifts


message 12: by Christelle (new)

Christelle | 472 comments Josy wrote: "Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "What about smashwords?"

Hi, Heather :)
I'm just popping in real quick because GR isn't working properly for me today :(
Smashwords could actually work!..."


Very good point : I forgot that Smashwords was also a good option.
@ Josy, once again, you're going to be my guinea pig. I'm going to look for a nice book to gift you :-)


Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (dentistinmysparetime) | 1751 comments Mod
Josy wrote: "Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "What about smashwords?"

Hi, Heather :)
I'm just popping in real quick because GR isn't working properly for me today :(
Smashwords could actually work!..."


They actually have a pretty good selection! I was just checking it out.


message 14: by Ami (new)

Ami (amie_07) | 276 comments Oh right, Smashwords! Okay that can be an alternative if my elf turns out to have that geo restriction issue.


message 15: by Josy (new)

Josy (aceofhearts83) | 668 comments Christelle wrote: "@ Josy, once again, you're going to be my guinea pig. I'm going to look for a nice book to gift you :-)..."

LOL!! Why am I not surprised ;)
Thank you, my sweet Christelle!! But you really don't have to :)

I'm not sure yet if I can join you this year :/ I have to take a careful look at my finances. It was pretty tight for the last few months with D. being gone and all. I know we have a limit but I also know that I won't be able to stop myself from gifting everyone :) It was soooo much fun last year and I would really like to join you all again but I have to think about it.


message 16: by Josy (new)

Josy (aceofhearts83) | 668 comments Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "They actually have a pretty good selection! I was just checking it out...."

That's good to know!! Thanks for looking into it, Heather :)


Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (dentistinmysparetime) | 1751 comments Mod
Join even if you can only buy one book!


message 18: by Kendra (new)

Kendra T (kendra1117) | 147 comments When we did the Christmas in July exchange (which was a BLAST by the way! Come join us next year!!), M'rella put together a list of places. This is what she posted, but I will TRY to post a link to the message where she put the actual links. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...


I would like to compile a list of vendors who offer direct gifting services.

So far:

Direct or GC:
Amazon
Pride Publishing (also has "buy 9, get 1 book free" program)
First For Romance
Totally Entwined
FIrst Romance
Riptide Publishing
Smashwords
Google Books


Gift Certificates only:
Loose ID
Dreamspinner Press
Less Than Three Press
NineStar Press
Evernight Publishing


Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (dentistinmysparetime) | 1751 comments Mod
Great info, thanks!


Am4u ❀ ~ AprilMarie4u ~ ❀  (aprilmarie4u) | 147 comments Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "What about smashwords?"

I've both sent & received gifts to/with my friend in the UK on Smashwords, and we had no probs. All we needed to send gifts was each others emails address that we used for Smashwords.

IDK if you can send anonymous though???
I would hate to out myself early and miss the guessing game. :/


Am4u ❀ ~ AprilMarie4u ~ ❀  (aprilmarie4u) | 147 comments Josy wrote: "Christelle wrote: "@ Josy, once again, you're going to be my guinea pig. I'm going to look for a nice book to gift you :-)..."

LOL!! Why am I not surprised ;)
Thank you, my sweet Christelle!! But ..."


I really think you should join. A lot of people tend to isolate themselves or excludes themselves when feeling down or when going through struggles. And it is when we really need our friends the most.

We're here for you Josy! Please join us. <3


message 22: by Josy (new)

Josy (aceofhearts83) | 668 comments Am4u ❀ ~ AprilMarie4u ~ ❀ wrote: "I really think you should join. A lot of people tend to isolate themselves or excludes themselves when feeling down or when going through struggles. And it is when we really need our friends the most.

We're here for you Josy! Please join us. <3 .."


That's really sweet of you!! Thank you :)
I'm okay, I promise!! The beginning of the year was hard but now it's almost back to normal :) It's just that finances are really tight right now and I know I won't be able to stop myself after only gifting one or two books. This group is always so generous and if I am participating, I want to reciprocate and I know I will be sad if I can't do that.


message 23: by Ami (new)

Ami (amie_07) | 276 comments Josy wrote: "I'm okay, I promise!! The beginning of the year was hard but now it's almost back to normal :) It's just that finances are really tight right now and I know I won't be able to stop myself after only gifting one or two books. This group is always so generous and if I am participating, I want to reciprocate and I know I will be sad if I can't do that. ..."

Oh Josy I think you feel that way is NOT what the group intend to do in the first place!! Please don't be sad if you can only send one book. Earlier in this event, I don't have permanent job, and I live in a country where dollar currency against my own is not the best. But this is the event where we share the love and care for one another and heck, even if the book cost only 1-2 dollar I am sure anyone who receive it will already be happy ^^


Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (dentistinmysparetime) | 1751 comments Mod
Agree with Ami!


message 25: by Isaiah (new)

Isaiah (jugglingpup) | 130 comments Josy wrote: "Am4u ❀ ~ AprilMarie4u ~ ❀ wrote: "I really think you should join. A lot of people tend to isolate themselves or excludes themselves when feeling down or when going through struggles. And it is when..."

One of my favorite gifts from an elf I have had was a tip that a book in a series I liked was going to be free on a certain day. They got credit in my mind for giving me that book because I wouldn't have checked on it and I would have missed it. There are ways to make things work so you can gift everyone without spending money :)

I was fired last year (for being trans, but they thought I was gay) right at the due date for all of this, it helped me deal with it all. We can always team up together for some deal hunting and secret gifting!


Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (dentistinmysparetime) | 1751 comments Mod
Isaiah, that’s horrible! They can fire you for that where you live!?!?


message 27: by Isaiah (new)

Isaiah (jugglingpup) | 130 comments Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Isaiah, that’s horrible! They can fire you for that where you live!?!?"

Perfectly legal in Kansas. I work in the legal world too so they knew exactly how to do it to get away with it.


Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (dentistinmysparetime) | 1751 comments Mod
Horrible! So sorry, hon.


message 29: by Ami (new)

Ami (amie_07) | 276 comments My GOD that is horrible!! I am so sorry to hear that Isaiah.


message 30: by Kendra (new)

Kendra T (kendra1117) | 147 comments Stupid jackwagons. Sorry for the idiots you used to work with, Isaiah. <3


message 31: by AliciaJ (new)

AliciaJ | 152 comments Hi all. @Josy, I hope you decide to join us this year, I agree with everyone else, it's a great way to get some support and to feel connected with each other. @Isaiah, I'm so sorry to hear about this! That just sucks.

I also have a probably silly question, but does anyone remember how to add the elfster button to add things to our wishlist from different websites? I"ve looked on the elfster site, but can't seem to find the stupid Add It button. Thanks!


message 32: by Lisazj1 (new)

Lisazj1 | 1514 comments Josy wrote: "Christelle wrote: "@ Josy, once again, you're going to be my guinea pig. I'm going to look for a nice book to gift you :-)..."

LOL!! Why am I not surprised ;)
Thank you, my sweet Christelle!! But ..."


Might as well join and talk to everybody. I'm pretty sure some elves will end up visiting you anyway. You know how some of them are, bloody pushy little things. ;)

You won't spend more than you can, empty wallets help with that, LOL. I know. *smooshes you*


message 33: by Trio (last edited Oct 19, 2017 06:44PM) (new)

Trio | 105 comments AliciaJ wrote: "I also have a probably silly question, but does anyone remember how to add the elfster button to add things to our wishlist from different websites? I"ve looked on the elfster site, but can't seem to find the stupid Add It button. Thanks! ..."

if you go to 'home' on elfster there is a small link on the top middle of the page
https://www.elfster.com/wish/browser-...
Then you click, and hold on the prompt and drag it to your bookmarks toolbar.
I hope this works when I cut and paste it...


message 34: by AliciaJ (new)

AliciaJ | 152 comments Trio wrote: "AliciaJ wrote: "I also have a probably silly question, but does anyone remember how to add the elfster button to add things to our wishlist from different websites? I"ve looked on the elfster site,..."

Thanks Trio. I knew it was on there somewhere! LOL


message 35: by Josy (new)

Josy (aceofhearts83) | 668 comments Aw-shucks, you guys are so sweet and awesome!!

And you make it very hard to resist ;)

@Isaiah: That's so horrible and I'm sooo sorry you had to go through this!!


message 36: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 393 comments I found this deal - I hope it's okay to post that info here. If not, just delete. :)

Keepsake by Sarina Bowen is currently .99cents on Amazon US (not sure about other locations).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M59TSH3/


message 37: by Camylle (new)

Camylle (emyllioo) | 14 comments Hello I am new to this and am wondering how to add things my list to the elfster list?!


message 38: by Christelle (new)

Christelle | 472 comments Isaiah wrote: "Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Isaiah, that’s horrible! They can fire you for that where you live!?!?"

Perfectly legal in Kansas. I work in the legal world too so they knew exactly h..."


Mind blowing, but not in the right way :-(


message 39: by Christelle (new)

Christelle | 472 comments For all of you who are not located in the US but would like to participate to this exchange and be able to gift and receive gift as well, so far, the best option I found and that works is Smashwords.

Residents can gift a non-resident and received gifts from a non-resident (I insist on that : a lot of ebooks stores have strong restrictions when dealing with a party not residing in the country of the site that's not funny. I had such a hard time with somebody from Spain, whether the gift was in the form of an e-book or a e-gift).

Be careful : if you don't want your identity to be revealed when the gift is sent, you will have to go on your Shmashword profile and change your first and last name with your "elf name" (automatically indicated in the mail sent by Smashwords).
Then all you have to do when choosing a book is to click on the button "give as a gift" instead of "buy a book".

The book selection on Smashwords is not optimum, but it should do the trick for this exchange.

To all the participants, have fun :-)


Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (dentistinmysparetime) | 1751 comments Mod
Thanks for the smash words info!


message 41: by Christelle (new)

Christelle | 472 comments Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Thanks for the smash words info!"

You're welcome, Heather. I'm so glad I found this solution. If not, I wouldn't have been able to participate and that would have been a shame.
Thanks again to you for organizing this : so much fun :-)


message 42: by Lisazj1 (new)

Lisazj1 | 1514 comments Camille, are you wanting to add a link to your GR wishlist or just add books off Elfster?


message 43: by Lisazj1 (new)

Lisazj1 | 1514 comments Sorry Camylle, autocorrect insisting on re-spelling your name! So annoying.


Am4u ❀ ~ AprilMarie4u ~ ❀  (aprilmarie4u) | 147 comments @Josy, lol *puppy pile* =)
Weren't you like the unofficial designated elf tracker last year? We so need that again, it was fun!

@Christelle, I was wondering on how to send anonymous on Smashwords. Thanks for sharing the info!


Lisa ~ Books Are My Drugs ~ (lisa44870) | 201 comments @ Isaiah - I'm so sorry you had that happen to you. People are absolutely hateful and it so sucks. *big hugs* I hope if you haven't already, you find a much better job with people who truly value you.


message 46: by Christelle (new)

Christelle | 472 comments Am4u ❀ ~ AprilMarie4u ~ ❀ wrote: "@Josy, lol *puppy pile* =)
Weren't you like the unofficial designated elf tracker last year? We so need that again, it was fun!

@Christelle, I was wondering on how to send anonymous on Smashword..."


You're welcome : that would be so bad to be outed through a notification, LOL.


message 47: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 393 comments Hi, is there somewhere I can read how the gift exchange works? I've not played before and would love a step by step playbook. Thanks!!


message 48: by Christelle (new)

Christelle | 472 comments Melissa wrote: "Hi, is there somewhere I can read how the gift exchange works? I've not played before and would love a step by step playbook. Thanks!!"

Hello, Melissa. I wrote a long PM to Vir this week about it. I'm going to copy it and PM it to you in a few hours :-)


message 49: by Pavellit (last edited Oct 21, 2017 09:47AM) (new)

Pavellit | 20 comments Christelle wrote: "For all of you who are not located in the US but would like to participate to this exchange and be able to gift and receive gift as well, so far, the best option I found and that works is Smashword..."

This is something new for me. I'm from Bulgaria and have a accountant on amazon.com. The prеvios year I had NO problem to send or receive a gift to someone else also registered there. The negative thing is that I have to pay VAT (tax) because is outside of the European Union. But actually your info, Christelle, would give me even better option, because Smashword doesn't charge me with VAT. Thanks a lot!


message 50: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 393 comments Christelle wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Hi, is there somewhere I can read how the gift exchange works? I've not played before and would love a step by step playbook. Thanks!!"

Hello, Melissa. I wrote a long PM to Vir thi..."


Thanks, Christelle. :)


« previous 1 3 4
back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

Keepsake (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sarina Bowen (other topics)