What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Luke and Jon
This topic is about Luke and Jon
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Boy after mother's death moves with dad to ramshackle house. [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rezikiel (new)

Rezikiel | 15 comments Boy's mother (artistic, manic-depressive) dies in traffic accident and his life is torn in two. He and his father move to a ramshackle house and start anew as they deal with their grief. A neighbor boy (who doesn't talk much and is a bit odd) become a friend. It comes to light that this friend is living in poverty with grandparents who are not well. The father of the boy (boy #1) is drinking and not doing well at moving on. However then he starts to get it together, renovate the house, and ultimately fight with social services to be allowed to take care of the friend. Meanwhile an investigation tries to ascertain whether the mother's death was suicide.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Following--this sounds really good.

When and where, exactly, was it set?

message 3: by Rezikiel (new)

Rezikiel | 15 comments Fairly recently. In the US but I don't remember where---in the hills... Northeast? Appalachia?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37852 comments Mod
When did you read it? Author female or male? Remember the cover? Children's, YA, or adult?

message 5: by Rezikiel (new)

Rezikiel | 15 comments I read it about a year ago. It could have been YA but could also have been adult. No details on author or cover.

Adele | 1206 comments This is just a guess: In High Places In High Places by Tom Morrisey

Another, perhaps less likely guess: Untouchable Untouchable by Scott O'Connor

message 7: by Rezikiel (new)

Rezikiel | 15 comments Hi Adele. Thanks for the guesses! It's not either. More in spirit like Untouchable---but not as dark. Maybe it really is YA.
Has me thinking...

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37852 comments Mod
Rezikiel, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

Adele | 1206 comments There's this: Blue Ridge. The goodreads description does not mention that Denny moved to the Blue Ridge Mountains with his father after the death of his mother.

message 10: by Rezikiel (new)

Rezikiel | 15 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Rezikiel, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

Hi Lobstergirl. Thanks for the reminder! I totally forgot about this post. I *did* find it. It's Luke and Jon by Robert Williams.

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16289 comments Glad you found it!

Luke and Jon for the link.