Into the Forest discussion

The Wind in His Heart
This topic is about The Wind in His Heart
Mythic Fiction > The Wind in his Heart by Charles de Lint

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jalilah | 4468 comments Mod
This thread is for the newest novel by Charles de Lint, The Wind in His Heart

Shomeret | 286 comments I imagine I shouldn't be posting spoilers. Is it a spoiler to say that very little of this book takes place in Newford? I'm not sure what wouldn't be a spoiler.

message 3: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Have you finished the book?

Shomeret | 286 comments No, I haven't finished. I suppose I should say that I'm a third of the way through and only one chapter takes place in Newford.

message 5: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Thanks, I should start this book on Wednesday I hope.

message 6: by Jalilah (last edited Oct 16, 2017 12:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shomeret wrote: "I imagine I shouldn't be posting spoilers. Is it a spoiler to say that very little of this book takes place in Newford? I'm not sure what wouldn't be a spoiler."

I wouldn't consider that a spoiler at all Shomeret! I am personally not bothered by spoilers, but I think it even says that in the description, that the novel take place in a fictitious city, the same one several of his other Southwest novels take place in and there is a journalist from Newford.

How are you liking it so far?

We don't usually have two separate threads for buddy reads. .
You can write all the spoilers you want as long as you hide them.
Like this

How to hide spoilers:
< spoiler>text goes here< /spoiler>

- Make sure to remove the spaces between the brackets and you get:
(view spoiler)

message 7: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Spoilers don't bother me either.

message 8: by Shomeret (last edited Oct 16, 2017 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shomeret | 286 comments I am liking his development of Kikimi society, culture and mythology in this book.

Also, is anyone else a fan of the TV series Glee? There is a definite shout out to Glee fans with a couple of character names.

I just started this morning. I wish I had more time to read! This book takes place in the same universe as The Painted Boy and Medicine Road.

I am not familiar with Glee!

The links to Newford are there. In chapter 10 Alain Grant, the friend of Leah the blogger is also in Memory and Dream. The Katharine Mully Memorial Arts court is mentioned. Katharine was an artist also in the same book.
Later on in chapter 14 Leah and Marisa mention going to Isabelle 's place on Wren Island. Isabelle aka Lizzy was the lead character in Memory and Dream and Wren Island is in it.
This is the fun thing about De Lints books. Although most are standalone, many of the characters in previous books have cameo rolls in other books.

message 11: by Shomeret (last edited Oct 20, 2017 09:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shomeret | 286 comments In this era of GrimDark fantasy, I am grateful that Charles De Lint still stands for hope for the hopeless.

There are Kikimi tales in this book. I really liked "The Girl With A Heart of Stone" and the resonance it had for Thomas.

message 12: by Jalilah (last edited Oct 21, 2017 05:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shomeret wrote: "In this era of GrimDark fantasy, I am grateful that Charles De Lint still stands for hope for the hopeless.

There are Kikimi tales in this book. I really liked "The Girl With A Heart of Stone" and..."

I agree! He does not avoid the tragedies or injustices of our society, but his tone is always hopeful. I love his writing for that!

I made a small mistake, so books also set in Santo del Vado Viejo are: The Mystery of Grace, The Painted Boy and the short stories Dog Boys , Sheriff Poole & The Mech Gang, Yellow Dogand one called Barrio Girls which is not in Goodreads http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cg...

I was certain Medicine Road also took place there, but it does not. It takes place near Tuscan Arizona.

I loved this book!
Here is my spoiler free review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...