Beyond Reality discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General SF&F discussion > What are you reading in October

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill Burris (wburris) I am currently reading Abaddon's Gate and Simply Complexity: A Clear Guide to Complexity Theory. Once I am finished these 2 books then I will read The Star Diaries: Further Reminiscences of Ijon Tichy.

message 2: by Joelle.P.S (new)

Joelle.P.S | 40 comments I just finished The Refrigerator Monologues by Catherynne M. Valente. 1st half very cool; 2nd half totally awesome. :-)
Also reading The Secret Loves of Geek Girls (anthology).

message 3: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2121 comments Mod
I've been out of genre, reading nonfiction and a classic mystery (The Violinist's Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code and Murder at the Vicarage). Not sure what's up next, but I'm in the mood for something light and frivolous :)

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3088 comments Mod
Bill wrote: "I am currently reading Abaddon's Gate and Simply Complexity: A Clear Guide to Complexity Theory. Once I am finished these 2 books then I will read [book:The Star Diar..."

Thanks for starting this month’s thread... I forgot that one doesn’t need to be a mod to start a thread, only to set up a folder. Thanks, Bill!

message 5: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments At the moment I'm reading Otherbound by Corinne Duyvis and listening to All the Crooked Saints by Maggie Stiefvater on audio.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I just finished Norse Mythology by this guy Neil Gaiman . I liked it and gave it 3 stars.

Now I'm starting Shards of Honour for the upcoming group read.

message 7: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 202 comments currently reading The Handmaid's Tale after the excellent tv series, book not quite matching up to the tv series to be honest but still a good reaad (so far)

i think i might read the final five books of the The Great Book of Amber. Ive read the first 5 twice but never the last 5 for some reason, maybe because i really like Nine Princes in Amber

message 8: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Pickle wrote: "i think i might read the final five books of the The Great Book of Amber. Ive read the first 5 twice but never the last 5 for some reason, maybe because i really like Nine Princes in Amber "

I like the first five better, but it's still worth reading the last 5 at least once!

I'm reading Yesterday's Kin at the moment and really enjoying it.

message 9: by Bill (last edited Oct 20, 2017 05:23PM) (new)

Bill Burris (wburris) I finished Abaddon's Gate and started The Star Diaries: Further Reminiscences of Ijon Tichy.

It is horror week and horror is not my thing, but I started rereading Tales of Edgar Allan Poe, which I last read more then 40 years ago. I still have my book from back then.

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine | 593 comments I just finished Borderline; I gave it 3 stars. I really didn't like the protagonist (she has borderline personality disorder so the author probably expected us not to like her). The world was interesting and i wanted to see how the story ended so i did finish reading the book; since i so disliked the protagonist, I will not read any sequels (kind of reminds me of how I felt about Thomas Covenant so many years ago). Now on to The Boy on the Bridge

message 11: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Oct 22, 2017 07:05AM) (new)

Let’s see, I finished Wit'ch Star, the final book in The Banned and the Banished series by James Clemens. This was a series that got better with each book, and I ended up liking it quite a bit. Yes, there was a “fellowship” of different races, united (sort of) in hopes of defeating a dark force, but there were plenty of twists and turns and quite a bit of originality.

Then I was on the edges of the fantasy genre with The Keeper of the Crystal Spring, which was historical fiction with more than a dash of romance and yes, a bit of fantasy. Well-researched and very readable.

Now I am back in the Saga of Recluce with Cyador's Heirs by L.E. Modesitt Jr.. Depending on how long this book takes me, I may sneak in something else before starting the books I am reading for November for a couple discussion groups.

message 12: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I finished and really enjoyed Yesterday's Kin, like I've enjoyed all of Nancy Kress's other books. Back to nonfiction now with Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal - Mary Roach is one of my favorite popular science writers!

message 13: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Finished The Last Dancer, well done, my only complaint is he had almost too much going on. He was foreshadowing for future books though He had big plans but this was the last book published thought regular channels. He does have a fourth book that he self published. I will be reading that soon

Started Bared Blade

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine | 593 comments I just finished The Boy on the Bridge which I really enjoyed; I wonder if the Melanie at the end of the book is the protagonist for the first book? I highly recommend this book. Now on to An Oath of Dogs

message 15: by Silvana (last edited Oct 28, 2017 04:59AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) @Christine: The Boy book is a prequel to The Girl with All the Gifts, in which Melanie is one of the protagonists. I happen to just finish it. A nice read with some faltering in the middle. I wonder why you decided to read The Boy first?

Now I am reading Something Wicked This Way Comes (Ray Bradbury) and in the final chapters of The Shards of Honor (Lois Bujold), our group read for next month.

message 16: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I did a reread of High Rage by James K. Burk (9/10–not your usual fantasy but a compelling and thought-provoking read) to refresh myself before starting its sequel later in November.

Now I’m ready to read Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch for our November discussion.

message 17: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

And after Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, I read the November discussion book for another group, Sojourn. Now starting a series read of Kage Baker’s Company books. So first up is a reread of In the Garden of Iden (the only Company book I’ve already read, I think with this group a few years ago).

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.