World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Does articulate speech mean fluent writing?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14977 comments Is there a correlation between the two or not necessarily? What do you think?

message 2: by Krazykiwi (last edited Oct 12, 2017 09:27AM) (new)

Krazykiwi | 193 comments Surely not.

If there were, there wouldn't be any profoundly deaf writers - and there have been many.

And there have been very many brilliant speakers who are functionally illiterate.

Purely physically there's also several kinds of language disorders where brain damage to very specific parts of the brain severely impairs the ability to do one, but not the other. People with apraxia, for instance, have severe difficulty speaking and writing, but may be able to compose text with a point and click interface entirely coherently, or even very well. On the other hand, there are conditions like dyscravia and dyslexia, where writing is all but impossible, but the person may be extremely articulate verbally.

message 3: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5799 comments Makes sense to me. Politicians have the gift of gab, but I doubt that many of them could translate that into writing a good novel (although I see that James Patterson is co-authoring a novel with Bill Clinton). Patterson knows how to pull in the bucks.

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14977 comments Krazykiwi wrote: "And there have been very many brilliant speakers who are functionally illiterate...."

The question is whether it's more of an exception?
After all, if one has, for example, a poor vocabulary, it'd transpire through speech and writing similarly. Engaging storyteller might do well both verbally and in writing...

message 5: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5799 comments There's not necessarily a correlation between articulate speech and fluent writing, but I'd say that a person who speaks fluently with a good vocabulary has a better chance of writing well.

Looking at this from another angle, do you think there's a correlation between fluent writing and articulate speech?

message 6: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan "Damn it, I wish I had more words to explain how I feel about this post."

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 10770 comments Graeme wrote: ""Damn it, I wish I had more words to explain how I feel about this post.""

Brevity is good.