Love & Social Change discussion

Books & Blogs by Group Members > What Writers Can Do to Help End Terrorism, Oppression, and Racism

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin (robingregory) In light of the recent terrorist attacks, and the surge in Neo-Nazism and white supremacy, I keep asking myself, how can I, a writer, lend a hand to my grieving, fearful, angry brothers and sisters?

In January I visited the amazing Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona, Spain, not too far from the Las Ramblas terrorist attack. The primary architect, Antoni Gaudí, worked on the cathedral for 43 years, before passing on. Still under construction today, it represents a century-long collaboration which is scheduled for completion in 2020.

What inspires me about Sagrada, beyond its awe-striking beauty and crafting, is that literally hundreds and hundreds of architects, artisans, masons, builders, and artists have formed links to its creation. “The creation continues incessantly through the media of man,” said Gaudí. In this sense, Sagrada Familia represents how inspired visions are erected first in our minds, and how we are all part of a magnificent collaboration that began before time. Our individual dreams for a better world are links in the chain of eternity, live manifestations streaming through the appearance of time, accompanied by masters and prophets and saints and angels.

Sometimes weeks, months, years pass when our efforts to provide inspiration or comfort seem futile. Sometimes violent events kick against our visions, they howl and snarl and dig in. When this happens, it’s tempting to give into negative, condemning thoughts. Giving in can feel like the great monument of faith we have worked so long and so hard to realize has crumbled and taken heaven with it. But we gather ourselves up again, aligning with universal Grace and Love, magnifying higher aspirations as we know them, glorifying what is transcendent—what lies beyond the reach of temporal power—and by Grace the “cathedral” reappears. In fact, it never went anywhere.

Gaudí didn’t live long enough to see the finished Sagrada. But I imagine it was complete in his mind, a vision attesting to heaven on earth, a living thing. In the same way, we writers who are giving voices to the marginalized, oppressed, and forsaken populations might not see the completed version of our world vision. However, as links in the Grand Collaboration, our efforts will uphold and bear forth as universal monuments to unity. In our persistence, like the masters before us—many named and unnamed—our “cathedrals” shield us and others from the backwash of superstition and ignorance, as surely as they will provide solace and shelter and inspiration to the disenfranchised.

message 2: by Afiena (new)

Afiena Kamminga | 2 comments oh yes, visiting the Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona was perhaps THE highlight of my visit to Spain quite a few years ago (sadly never had a chance to return..) I was deeply shocked to learn that recently terrorists have been narrowly prevented from blowing up this Gaudi masterpiece, testimony to the mind of an exceptional human, who succeeded like no one else I can think if, in integrating the power of the human creative mind with the mystery of the living earth we all share, and mindlessly allow to be destroyed by human selfishness.

message 3: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 14 comments I was there in June, just before the Las Ramblas attack. The outside of the Sagrada Familia is certainly unique but the inside is absolutely beautiful. I think writers can play a part in guiding readers away from oppression and racism but terrorism is another thing entirely.

message 4: by Connie (new)

Connie Livingston-dunn | 139 comments Well said, Robin. Artists are also very effective in bringing attention to environmental issues through art and writing. I require that my students write about 'green art' and an artist who is helping to bring environmental issues to the forefront.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (robingregory) Connie wrote: "Well said, Robin. Artists are also very effective in bringing attention to environmental issues through art and writing. I require that my students write about 'green art' and an artist who is help..."

Thank you, Connie. I love that you are helping your students use their talent to bring about awareness.

message 6: by Connie (new)

Connie Livingston-dunn | 139 comments Thanks, Robin, we all have a part to play to make things better for the next 7 generations.

message 7: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Shiro (D_M_Shiro) | 5 comments Agreed. As an author, I say write what is in your heart. But as a reader, I say write with your soul. Your soul knows right from wrong, let it guide you when you speak. Because that is what I want to hear. Defy all our worldly teachings, and bring forth teachings that make a difference. Because one day, our books will be seen as something that either was for entertainment, or it will resonate on a deeper level. And literature is definitely meant to make you think.

message 8: by Janet (last edited Jan 21, 2018 07:49AM) (new)

Janet Colbert | 19 comments STOPPNow: (Stop the Organized Pill Pushers) Now STOPPNow (Stop the Organized Pill Pushers) Now by Janet Colbert [book:STOPPNow: Student Government classes could also be involved in ending the Opiate Epidemic as well. Much attention and action needs to come forth as the death toll and babies born into addiction increase every year. ***Message to President Trump - Yes we need a WALL around Mexico, where the heroin is coming across but we need a WALL around Big Pharma where the not so innocent prescription opiate pills are produced and marketed***

message 9: by Ross (new)

Ross Goodell (rossgoodell) | 19 comments D.M. wrote: "Agreed. As an author, I say write what is in your heart. But as a reader, I say write with your soul. Your soul knows right from wrong, let it guide you when you speak. Because that is what I want ..."

Nicely put.

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike Takac | 3 comments On the subject of “What Writers Can Do,” my approach may be boring to some, but I feel an important step to help make this world a better place to live by exploring the simple science behind unalienable rights.

I also, produced a short YouTube presentation for general consumption on said subject titled: The Science of Rights.

message 11: by Ross (new)

Ross Goodell (rossgoodell) | 19 comments A good presentation and an intriguing argument for the freedom that so many of us intuitively support.

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (robingregory) Your writing is as lucid and elegant as your argument for a flow system, Divine Handwriting as seen in the "dynamic interface between the physical and social domains. Beautiful.

message 13: by Mike (new)

Mike Takac | 3 comments Robin wrote: "Your writing is as lucid and elegant as your argument for a flow system, Divine Handwriting as seen in the "dynamic interface between the physical and social domains. Beautiful."

Ross wrote: "A good presentation and an intriguing argument for the freedom that so many of us intuitively support."

I’m assuming both Robin and Ross are referencing my work. If so, thank you for those warm words.

message 14: by Ross (new)

Ross Goodell (rossgoodell) | 19 comments Yes, I was referring to your YouTube presentation, Mike.

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin (robingregory) Mike wrote: "Robin wrote: "Your writing is as lucid and elegant as your argument for a flow system, Divine Handwriting as seen in the "dynamic interface between the physical and social domains. Beautiful."

Ros..."
Sorry, Mike. I expected that the "reply" would automatically reference your post. Yes, I was referring to your writing!

message 16: by Peter (new)

Peter (peter_prich) | 7 comments Regarding the subject of "What writers can do" I spend a lot of time bringing the works of other writers to the attention of the public regarding how to heal our world and work for the common good. These articles are available on my blog: https://workliveandleadforthecommongo... Most of those articles reference a book or two related to the subject.
I also am making information available on Goodreads regarding resources of other writers who are writing about healing our world and working for the common good. I did that earlier today on the Listopia site titled Books to Help Change the World with the following post:

I have just added 9 books to this amazing list - thanks Annette for creating it. All either provide ideas for how to develop the strength or focus to create change, or tell stories of people who are doing that. I have written Goodreads reviews for each of them. They are: Random Acts of Kindness; The Career as a Path to the Soul; A Journal for Inspiration; Be a Change Maker: How to Start Something That Matters; The New Better Off: Reinventing the American Dream; Do It Anyway: The New Generation of Activists; Who Do We Choose to Be? Facing Reality, Claiming Leadership, Restoring Sanity; Peak Performance; Real Kids, Real Stories, Real Change: Courageous Actions Around the World. Enjoy! Peter
My approach is not glitzy and yet at the end of the day I think a major action writers can take is to create amazing writing, and promote the writing of others that is relevant to trying to save our world. Hence my interest in this thread - thanks for starting it Robin - and the Love and Social Change community.

message 17: by Robin (new)

Robin (robingregory) Great to hear what you are doing, Peter. I'll put these books on my TBR list. I'm especially interested in books that explore teaching/raising children. Thank you for your devotion to healing our world.

message 18: by teZa (new)

teZa Lord (tezlord) | 6 comments Robin wrote: "In light of the recent terrorist attacks, and the surge in Neo-Nazism and white supremacy, I keep asking myself, how can I, a writer, lend a hand to my grieving, fearful, angry brothers and sisters..."

what a beautiful relationship to Gaudi's great cathedral, Robin. I love how you correlate how we writers, likewise, are contributing to the "Sacred Family" of humankind (la Sagrada Familia) by offering our stories, our words of Love, Grace, and Light. Yes, we are paving the way for following generations to pick up the torch, and lead our combined family of humans as we evolve to be more spiritual, more compassionate, more peaceful Beings. I bless your words! If anyone wants to read my contribution to this thought, please visit my blog: www.lordflea.com In the Light of Love, teZa Lord

message 19: by teZa (new)

teZa Lord (tezlord) | 6 comments Robin wrote: "Great to hear what you are doing, Peter. I'll put these books on my TBR list. I'm especially interested in books that explore teaching/raising children. Thank you for your devotion to healing our w..."

Hi Robin, I'm new to GR, and learning how to get involved. I love this discussion, and left one comment already. Here I see you're especially interested in "teaching/raising children". .. and thought you might be interested to check out my newly published book: "In the I: easing through Life-Storms" ... about helping at-risk kids in juvie lockup. Just a thought. Please excuse me if I'm not supposed to make recommendations. I really don't know what I'm doing here---yet! love, teZa

message 20: by Ross (new)

Ross Goodell (rossgoodell) | 19 comments Peter wrote: "Regarding the subject of "What writers can do" I spend a lot of time bringing the works of other writers to the attention of the public regarding how to heal our world and work for the common good...."

I took a look at your blog and website and love what you're doing. It's the kind of stuff our world can use a lot of.

message 21: by Peter (new)

Peter (peter_prich) | 7 comments Robin and Ross, I appreciate your positive reaction to what I am doing regarding "healing the world." Thanks for going to my blog and website Ross. I am trying to offer practical information to folks about concrete steps they can take to move toward the Love and Social Change that is in the title of this discussion.

message 22: by Robin (new)

Robin (robingregory) teZa wrote: "Robin wrote: "Great to hear what you are doing, Peter. I'll put these books on my TBR list. I'm especially interested in books that explore teaching/raising children. Thank you for your devotion to..."

Thank you teZa. Prevention is key, isn't it? I'll take a look!

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin (robingregory) teZa wrote: "Robin wrote: "In light of the recent terrorist attacks, and the surge in Neo-Nazism and white supremacy, I keep asking myself, how can I, a writer, lend a hand to my grieving, fearful, angry brothe..."

Oh, I missed this! Thank you so much, teZa. It's great to connect with you & others through this kind of conversation.

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin (robingregory) Ross wrote: "Peter wrote: "Regarding the subject of "What writers can do" I spend a lot of time bringing the works of other writers to the attention of the public regarding how to heal our world and work for th..."

Thank you so much, Ross! I put your book on my TBR list. Wishing you much inspiration and faith.

message 25: by Robin (new)

Robin (robingregory) D.M. wrote: "Agreed. As an author, I say write what is in your heart. But as a reader, I say write with your soul. Your soul knows right from wrong, let it guide you when you speak. Because that is what I want ..."

D.M., I so agree. My hope is that readers enjoy my books, but mostly, I want to feed the soul. It's a delicate balance. Not to be teachy. Not to merely amuse.

message 26: by Ross (new)

Ross Goodell (rossgoodell) | 19 comments Robin wrote: "Ross wrote: "Peter wrote: "Regarding the subject of "What writers can do" I spend a lot of time bringing the works of other writers to the attention of the public regarding how to heal our world an..."
Thanks, Robin. Do you read manuscripts? I f so, I've got one ready for publication, that I'd love to get your take on instead.

message 27: by Robin (last edited Feb 04, 2018 01:22PM) (new)

Robin (robingregory) Ross wrote: "Robin wrote: "Ross wrote: "Peter wrote: "Regarding the subject of "What writers can do" I spend a lot of time bringing the works of other writers to the attention of the public regarding how to hea..."

Hi Ross,
Thank you for your interest. I'm pretty busy right now, but I do read manuscripts for a fee. If you'd like to email me the first 5-10 pages, I'll be able to tell if I have time to read it, and give you a per/page quote. (Usually $1-$3/per page). Please let me know how many pages you have and if there is a deadline. Warmly, Robin robin@madmysticaljourney.com

message 28: by Ross (new)

Ross Goodell (rossgoodell) | 19 comments Thanks, Robin, I'll probably need to get my rewrite and sequel out on Amazon and then suggest them for your TBR list.

message 29: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Woodward (artaniawriter) | 17 comments D.M. wrote: "Agreed. As an author, I say write what is in your heart. But as a reader, I say write with your soul. Your soul knows right from wrong, let it guide you when you speak. Because that is what I want ..."

I agree. Every day we make choices. In what we say, how we interact with others, and what we read. When we choose the positive it leaves ripples around us.

message 30: by Roxanna (new)

Roxanna López Be gentle with your words and when something comes out too hateful, recast it in softer terms. Showcase what could be good.

message 31: by Bertha (new)

Bertha (berthaedward) | 4 comments I'm sure that's true.