Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Member Writings and Requests > Help finding a title

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Monica **can't read fast enough** (wwwgoodreadscomuser_monlat) | 26 comments I need help finding the title/author of a short story that I read in college. It's the story of an older black couple who are closing up their house and reliving memories together, and at the end we find out what they are really doing. (I don't want to reveal the spoiler of exactly what happens.) I'm pretty sure I read it in a collection, but I can't even remember if it was an anthology or just a text book! If anyone has a clue which story this is I would really appreciate knowing, it's driving me crazy!

Moderators, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I wasn't sure where the appropriate place to post would be.

Thanks in advance-
Monica

message 2: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2883 comments Mod
Monica **can't read fast enough** wrote: "I need help finding the title/author of a short story that I read in college. It's the story of an older black couple who are closing up their house and reliving memories together, and at the end w..."

Monica -

You can put the spoiler in by using the spoiler html so only those who don't mind reading the spoiler can and may help jog memory in others.

I understand how this is trying you crazy as it happens to me.

Hope someone here can help you out.

There is only one short story that comes to mind but I am also sure it does not fit the info you provided.

The Wife of His Youth and Other Stories by Charles W. Chesnutt

Monica **can't read fast enough** (wwwgoodreadscomuser_monlat) | 26 comments Beverly wrote: "Monica **can't read fast enough** wrote: "I need help finding the title/author of a short story that I read in college. It's the story of an older black couple who are closing up their house and re..."

Thank you for the info. Beverly!

message 4: by Wilhelmina (last edited Oct 12, 2017 03:59PM) (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments Is it A Summer Tragedy by Arna Bontemps?

https://genius.com/Arna-bontemps-a-su...

Monica **can't read fast enough** (wwwgoodreadscomuser_monlat) | 26 comments Wilhelmina wrote: "Is it A Summer Tragedy by Arna Bontemps?

https://genius.com/Arna-bontemps-a-su..."

That's it!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

message 6: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3846 comments Mod
Yes, thank you Mina. I was researching this for Monica too because the story she described seemed so interesting. Now I see it’s deemed a classic and taught all over. Thanks both.

message 7: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments A classic for sure. The kind of short story that sticks with you.

message 8: by Louise (new)

Louise | 138 comments What a sad story. But thank you for sharing. Incidentally, Bontemps was born on this day, Oct. 13, 1902.

Monica **can't read fast enough** (wwwgoodreadscomuser_monlat) | 26 comments Thanks everyone! I ordered The Old South: "A Summer Tragedy" and Other Stories of the Thirties last night and I am looking forward to reading more stories by Bontemps. I'm so glad to have access to a group of readers who jumped in and found what I needed! Have a great weekend.

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise | 138 comments Monica **can't read fast enough** wrote: "Thanks everyone! I ordered The Old South: "A Summer Tragedy" and Other Stories of the Thirties last night and I am looking forward to reading more stories by Bontemps. I'm so glad to have access to..."

It might be a good book for this group to read? Can we add it to a poll?

message 11: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2883 comments Mod
Wilhelmina wrote: "Is it A Summer Tragedy by Arna Bontemps?

https://genius.com/Arna-bontemps-a-su..."

Thanks for finding the story title!

message 12: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments Louise wrote: "It might be a good book for this group to read? Can we add it to a poll? "

We usually do a classic book for our February discussion. Maybe Bill can consider it for that month.

message 13: by William (new)

William (be2lieve) | 1319 comments Mod
No problem...and Feb is only 3 polls away..

Literary Fiction by People of Color

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Wife of His Youth and Other Stories (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Charles W. Chesnutt (other topics)