Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

A Shadow in Summer (Long Price Quartet, #1)
This topic is about A Shadow in Summer
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > A Shadow in Summer [Feb 10, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Oct 24, 2017 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7025 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham starting February 10, 2018.
A Shadow in Summer (Long Price Quartet, #1) by Daniel Abraham

Here's a link to a FBR group read for this book in 2017:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Whoops wrong thread but I MIGHT join this one since Scott really enjoyed this one

message 3: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments Totally in for this =].

message 4: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 494 comments I had told myself that for the sake of my sanity I would not plan further out than January.
Oh well, sanity is overrated.
I'm in!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Sarah wrote: "I had told myself that for the sake of my sanity I would not plan further out than January.
I'm in!"

I now plan way ahead to reduce my spending of new books and/or starting new series that's not already in my TBR

message 6: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani | 577 comments I may join this read providing I'm in the right mood for it then haha

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7579 comments I'd like to join this, I'll put it on my Chrismas list to make sure I have a copy beforehand xD

message 8: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 494 comments Silvana wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I had told myself that for the sake of my sanity I would not plan further out than January.
I'm in!"

I now plan way ahead to reduce my spending of new ..."

I'm too much of a mood reader to plan all of it ahead of time

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Sarah, that sometimes happens to me too actually. Especially when work is too much to handle and the book I am currently reading is not that engaging I will look for lighter options.

message 10: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 494 comments Silvana wrote: "Sarah, that sometimes happens to me too actually. Especially when work is too much to handle and the book I am currently reading is not that engaging I will look for lighter options."

That happens to me a lot.
Or I start reading a book only to realize I'm really not feeling it at that particular moment in time.
Makes it hard to do too much planning.

message 11: by Maciel (new) - added it

Maciel | 39 comments I'm totally in for this ☺. I have been wanting to read this books since. long time ago!!!!

message 12: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments It's already on my shelf, just waiting to start it with you guys.

Miche | 2939 comments I will attempt to join.

Melissa | 1256 comments I'm very intrigued by this series. Count me in!

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments This has been recommended to me more times than I care to count. So. I'll be here.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I'm in for this one too.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Here's hoping for discounts for all the books in the series ;p

Andrew | 652 comments You guys are in for such an awesome series! I picked the series up without anyone recommending it, and really didn't have super high expectations. Just thought it'd be an average read. But I was blown away! I rated the 4-book series as 3*/5*/5*/5*, but strongly considered going back to Shadow in Summer and bumping it up a star, based on the groundwork that it laid for the rest of the series. Books 2, 3, and 4 are all some of my all-time favorites! The story is fantastic and the world compelling, but what really sets the series apart is that it has the absolute best character development I've ever read. Did I sell it enough yet? GO READ IT!!!

message 19: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
One of a handful of series to get 5* from start to finish for me.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments I would never know of some of these books if it wasn't for you guys. But my 2018 is packed with some big series I'm going to work on etc. AND, not buying much so I can actually save money!! 👀

Hacen | 881 comments Might join this.

message 22: by Arka (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arka (ruineleint) I never finished this series. Time to complete it.

message 23: by Virginie (new) - added it

Virginie | 5795 comments I'll try to join this one. I heard so many praises for this series :)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments I'm going to spend my prize for the book buying ban challenge on this one. Here's hoping for a bundle sale for this series soon :D

Seán | 602 comments Oh damn, I missed this when it first went up. Might have to try fit this in, if only to appease Scott :)

message 26: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I've read the prologue and first two chapters. I'm curious, but I'm not sure that it has completely captured my attention yet.

message 27: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Just finished chapter 4. (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Just bought this book - a prize for my series challenge - and starting now!

message 29: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Seán wrote: "Oh damn, I missed this when it first went up. Might have to try fit this in, if only to appease Scott :)"

Because Manifest Delusions turned out so badly for you. :)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I'm starting today and I'm very excited.

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments I'm ahead of schedule on Buddy Reads, so I'm going to squeeze this in, like I hoped to... and so I don't start Republic of Thieves too early... once I finish another Nightside story real quick, that is, so later today/tonight...

message 32: by Arka (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arka (ruineleint) 9 chapters done

(view spoiler)

message 33: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Just finished chapter 5. (view spoiler)

Melissa | 1256 comments Starting in on this today. Just finished the first chapter.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments After 3 chapters I can say I like it. Mostly because of Amat and Seedless. And I have to say I'm taking the poses as I read. :)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Chapter 5 and I'm officially caught unprepared! (view spoiler) bummer!

message 37: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I think I've read through chapter 8. And I'm really not sure about this one. I'm in a weird reading mood, so maybe that's most of it, but I find certain things interesting but don't really feel connected.

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments I'm having a bit of a hard time following the names on audio I think... on chapter 5/6 at the moment...

message 39: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Names are always the hardest thing on audio.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I'm in chapter four. I'm liking it so far (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments I slowed it down to 1.25x for awhile until I got a firmer grasp... I think I was only on chapter 4 before... approaching 50% now...

Daniel Abraham seems to like systems of nonverbal communication... Expanse has the spacer gestures...

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4424 comments Mod
I'm starting today! I have a million other things to read, but I think I have to fit this one in this time because so many people have recommended it. :)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Veronica wrote: "I'm in chapter four. I'm liking it so far though I think "

Good point Veronica, I never thought about it. (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments The goal is more complicated... (view spoiler)

I'm around 60% now, and Amat's storyline is my favorite... can't wait to see this next part...

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments I finished the story... it didn't resolve as I expected, at all...

I hope this is the last we've seen of (view spoiler)

And I'm interested to see if (view spoiler)

Melissa | 1256 comments I finished Chapter 4, and am well-drawn into the story now. I'm eager to see what will happen in the next chapter as the two main threads collide before the Khai.

I'm also loving the idea of the different poses. Mayim, I also find myself making different poses. I imagine them to be much like Buddhist mudras, or poses from Indian dance.

message 47: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Unfortunately, I think this one is going to be a DNF for me. Not enjoying it much.

message 48: by Patrick (new) - added it

Patrick | 18 comments Is it too late to join?

message 49: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Nope. Go for it!

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments OK, I finished chapter 8 (I think) and Veronica, I withdraw my earlier observations (view spoiler)

Also, I cannot stand the Liat girl, what an idiot she is. Her lover shows her the ultimate trust (view spoiler) I really want to slap her.

The thing that I appreciate the most at the moment is the whole Grandmother business. Iain I am with you, I didn't see it evolving this way. Initially, I was disappointed that (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3