Play Book Tag discussion

Dune (Dune #1)
This topic is about Dune
October 2017: Society > Dune by Frank Herbert ★★★★★

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1315 comments This is my sixth time reading Dune. I first read it for my Science Fiction class in high school. I fell in love with it that first time I read it. Over the years, Dune has become my all-time favorite book. I adore everything about it. I love Herbert's writing, the complexity of the story, the characters, and the ethical/moral issues it explores.

I understand why those new to the story have a hard time with it. In today's publishing world, so much of Dune would've been edited out. I also understand that the third-person omniscient POV isn't for everyone. But, I'm glad it was written when it was so that we get the full story from every characters' POV. I think it's fun to know everything and then see how it all fits together in the end.

I have never read any of Dune's sequels. I've toyed with the idea, but I've finally decided against it. Why? I don't want to be disappointed since I've hyped them up so much in my mind. I also don't want that disappointment to ruin my love for Dune. Fortunately, Dune stands well enough alone that I don't need to go on.

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I'm also still reading this from August. But I'm listening to the audio. It's my first read ever.

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1315 comments Oh cool! I hope you’re enjoying it. I haven’t listened to the audio so I don’t know what that’s like.

Nicole | 429 comments I read this early in the year and it immediately went on my favorites list! Great book.

Sushicat | 804 comments I really liked this one too.

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1315 comments Nicole and Sushicat, yay! I'm glad you both enjoyed it. :D

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8534 comments Finally finished! Yay! How wonderful to revisit a book you have loved so much, i've had it still stand up and stand out.