Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Archives > Nominations Are Open for Our December Books of the Month

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Oct 07, 2017 08:51PM) (new)

Diane | 12851 comments Post your nominations here for the December group reads. A significant portion of the book must be set in the featured location. We will be reading books set in Fiji, the Haute Normandie region of France, and the province of Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada. Here are our group lists to get you started:

Fiji:*
Fiji (Posts 1-15)
Bookshelf: Fiji

Haute Normandie (Upper Normandy) Region of France:
France (please scroll down to the "Books Set in Upper Normandy" heading - Post 64).

Newfoundland and Labrador:
Canada (Scroll down to "Books set in Newfoundland & Labrador" heading-Posts 8 & 9)
Bookshelf: Canada: Newfoundland

Books do not need to be present on these lists to be nominated. Authors, please do not nominate your own books.

For a list of books we have read in previous months, click here: Previous Group Read Books

*For our featured world country selection (this month its Fiji): If the book selected by popular vote is not written by a native or resident author, the book written by a native/resident author with the highest votes will also be selected, resulting in two book selections for that country.

message 2: by Carol (last edited Oct 09, 2017 11:33AM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1008 comments For Newfoundland and Labrador, I nominate Sweetland by Michael Crummey.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1008 comments For Haute Normandy, I nominate A Simple Heart by Gustave Flaubert. 72 pages.

message 4: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments For Newfoundland, I heartily recommend The Colony of Unrequited Dreams by Wayne Johnston.

message 5: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments BTW, Diane, the current link for Canada in your post directs to India instead.

message 6: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12851 comments Mome_Rath wrote: "BTW, Diane, the current link for Canada in your post directs to India instead."

Oops. I have posted the correct link. Sorry about that.

message 7: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments Awesome -- thanks!

message 8: by Silver (new)

Silver Haute Normandy: Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre

message 10: by rebel (new)

rebel (followtheriver) | 65 comments For Fiji, I nominate Kalyana by Rajni Mala Khelawan

Also, Diane, is that a new policy about native/resident authors for the featured country? I like it very much, I just hadn't noticed it before.

message 11: by Missy J (new)

message 12: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12851 comments rebel wrote: "For Fiji, I nominate Kalyana by Rajni Mala Khelawan

Also, Diane, is that a new policy about native/resident authors for the featured country? I like it very much, I just hadn't noticed it before. ."

Thanks, rebel. I started it a few months ago, and unofficially a while before that.

message 13: by rebel (new)

rebel (followtheriver) | 65 comments Diane wrote: "Thanks, rebel. I started it a few months ago, and unofficially a while before that."

Lol, that shows how much I've been paying attention! Thank you for doing this! I personally only read the pick that's by a native/resident, so this new guideline will help me do that.

message 14: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Oct 15, 2017 08:01AM) (new)

Diane | 12851 comments PeekingLlama - Laura wrote: "Haute Normandie (Upper Normandy) Region of France
Madame Bovary by Gustave FlaubertMadame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert ."

We have already read Madame Bovary as a previous group read, so it has been excluded.

message 15: by katie (last edited Oct 25, 2017 03:05PM) (new)

katie | 48 comments Haute Normandie: The Beast Within by Émile Zola

Fiji: A Remarkable Rotuman Woman by Jacinta Tonga. This sounds awesome! '"A Remarkable Rotuman Woman" is Jacinta Tonga's memoir of her late grandmother, the indomitable Petera Veu, and speaks of traditional life in the South Pacific, the peculiarities of Rotuman culture and of her grandmother's spirit that still lives on today.'

message 16: by katie (new)

katie | 48 comments Newfoundland and Labrador: Cloud of Bone by Bernice Morgan

message 17: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12851 comments katie wrote: "Haute Normandie: The Beast Within by Émile Zola

Fiji: A Remarkable Rotuman Woman by Jacinta Tonga. This sounds awesome! '"A Remarkable ..."

Katie, I'm sorry but I was not able to use your nominations as they came after nominations and voting had closed.

message 18: by katie (new)

katie | 48 comments Oh, sorry about that! I clearly wasn't paying attention to dates, oops!