Start by marking “Nausea” as Want to Read:
Nausea

Nausea

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  86,294 ratings  ·  3,138 reviews
Nausea is the story of Antoine Roquentin, a French writer who is horrified at his own existence. In impressionistic, diary form he ruthlessly catalogues his every feeling and sensation about the world and people around him.

His thoughts culminate in a pervasive, overpowering feeling of nausea which "spread at the bottom of the viscous puddle, at the bottom of our time, the
Published 1969 by New Directions (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Nausea, please sign up.
Shawn Brugmans I would say that you must be a little bit familiar with existential philosophy. Even absurd and nihilism philosophy would help bring perspective. If y…moreI would say that you must be a little bit familiar with existential philosophy. Even absurd and nihilism philosophy would help bring perspective. If you also have depression, have experienced an existential crisis, and have used psychedelics, then it would probably help. The novel is quite psychological and you get the sense that the main character is very depressed and can't quite understand the meaning of things. I think he also has trouble defining himself in regards to other people and objects. It is part of the novel that he has these thoughts and is very observant of things, almost to the point where life appears dull and mundane. It leaves you asking, "why do I need to know this?" It's the process of which he goes by in life, and then he gets these bursts of confusion and nausea that leaves him fazed, and at times, very outside of himself within his reality. Sometimes he clicks with certain aspects. There is a lot that goes on in his mind. I believe that he just tries to stay grounded somehow and just becomes really self conscious about his surroundings in general. I got the impression that life is quite meaningless, depending on how you look at it.(less)
TROY CROWHURST I can understand how this novel can come across as pretty miserable. Sartre was renown for his negative ideas, famously quoted as saying: 'Hell is oth…moreI can understand how this novel can come across as pretty miserable. Sartre was renown for his negative ideas, famously quoted as saying: 'Hell is other people'. His point though was that by stressing the meaninglessness of life, we are 'free' to create that meaning ourselves 'authentically'. You'd need to check that out. In truth this novel doesn't take us past the first negative stage really and I was told at college that he was probably developing his ideas literally as he was writing this novel. Funny that he was a really social guy always round the Parisien cafes with a reputation as being generous with his tips! More interesting still, is that he was particularly ugly and in recognising his own ugliness and I feel that he as inspired in his negative thinking on humanity ( Only my thoughts though!) Hope you weren't too depressed by it!?(less)

·  86,294 ratings  ·  3,138 reviews

Start your review of Nausea
Jahn Sood
May 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: someone who is more emotional stable than me.
I put a longer review of this book / a journal entry that I wrote while I was reading it in "my writing" since it was too long for this page.

6.9.07
Nausea is not a good thing to have as the only thing that belongs to you, and even worse as the only thing that you belong to. It is sickening and dark and so terribly everyday that it gets inside you if you let it. Sartre writes beautifully and describes the physical world in such incredible detail, that if you are a reader, and even more if you are
Florencia
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Roquentin, Meursault; Meursault, Roquentin. Now, go outside, grab a cup of coffee and have fun. I'll be here, sitting on the floor surrounded by cupcakes, ice cream and some twisted books, like an existentialist Bridget Jones, just contemplating my own ridiculous existence, thanks to you guys and your crude and insightful comments about life and its inevitable absurdity.

It is a tough read. Especially if you feel like a giant failure that never lived, but existed (to live, one of the rarest thin
Ahmad Sharabiani
602. La Nausée = Nausea, Jean-Paul Sartre

Nausea is a philosophical novel by the existentialist philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre, published in 1938. It is Sartre's first novel and, in his opinion, one of his best works.

Antoine Roquentin protagonist of the novel, is a former adventurer who has been living in Bouville for three years. Antoine does not keep in touch with family, and has no friends.

He is a loner at heart and often likes to listen to other people's conversationsو and examine their actio
Vit Babenco
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The protagonist is a captive of loneliness and time.
This sun and blue sky were only a snare. This is the hundredth time I've let myself be caught. My memories are like coins in the devil's purse: when you open it you find only dead leaves.

For him there are no expectations and no changes in life… The world passes him by…
I can no longer distinguish present from future and yet it lasts, it happens little by little…

So the protagonist becomes nauseated with reality and his purposeless existence turns
Fergus
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SARTRE HAD IT RIGHT; BUT HE TOOK IT THE WRONG WAY.

In this book, Sartre saw correctly that our world is Crazy Sick. But by sidestepping the problem through Reason, he made it worse for himself. And in the end he died of it.

That’s his problem. If we don’t admit we’re all infected with this Crazy Sickness, we won’t seek - or find - REAL HELP. We’ll be in Terminal Denial. We all need Help.

The other day, I decided to skim this novel again, after so many years had passed since I read it, and was thund
Glenn Russell

Originally published in 1938, Jean-Paul Sartre's short existential novel La Nausée can be read on many levels - to list several: philosophical, psychological, social and political. Going back to my college days, my reading of this work has always been decidedly personal. Thus my observations below and, at points, my own experiences relating to certain passages I have found to contain great power.

"Then the Nausea sized me, I dropped to a seat. I no longer knew where I was; I saw the colors spin
Steven Godin
Third time lucky...

I have always preferred the work of Albert Camus when it comes to the subject of 'existentialism'. It has taken me three attempts to read Nausea to finally appreciate. Whereas I just found Camus easier to digest immediately. This small novel is no doubt an important work and essential reading for philosophical purposes. I remember reading Camus's 'The Stranger and Sartre's Nausea back to back, similar in some ways, not in others, The Stranger lingered for weeks, Nausea drifted
Jim Fonseca
Two of the blurbs on the book jacket call this book Sartre’s “most enjoyable book” and “the best written and most interesting of Sartre’s novels.” Perhaps – I don’t know as the only other one I’ve read is No Exit, and so long ago I have no recollection of it. Nausea’s structure is that of a diary. Wikipedia calls the novel one of the canonical works of existentialism.

The main character is Antoine Roquentin, apparently independently wealthy, spends most of his day in the library researching and
Kiri
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Okay, wow. They should stock this thing in the bible section. Or the adult erotica section, because either way it gives you some pretty intense experiences.

In a nutshell: this book is kind of like an existentialist essay in the form of a diary. It's about this red-haired writer guy Antoine Roquentin, who's recently been overwhelmed with an intolerable awareness of his own existence. Like, super intolerable. Like, a soul-crushing, mind-blowing, nausea-inducing kind of intolerable. It's pretty awe
Jon Nakapalau
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, philosophy
Ogier P. ("the self-taught man") is the symbol of everything that has gone wrong with the socialization process. Nausea places us in a situation where we have to ask ourselves: is knowledge for the sake of knowledge a wise way to spend your life; or can you have knowledge of trivial facts (e.g. game shows) and know nothing about who you are - a life not examined because knowledge was more important.
Andie
May 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
If you live in Florida, lets say Ft. Lauderdale, don't read this book... especially when you're trying to pay the bills by working in a call center and you're aweful at telemarketing and you're roommate is weird and depressed and everyone around you is fake and plastic. That's my only warning. Otherwise, it's a great book.
Lisa
Sartre is an author I don't like very much. He's also one of the few authors I almost always agree with, unfortunately. If that is not enough to cause some nausea, one can add a bit of existential anxiety and here we go: by hitting Sartre in the face with Camus' idea of the absurdity of life, I have confirmed Sartre's bleak outlook on humanity as well. If I had liked it, I would have solved the Catch 22 of life!

Sartre is hard to stomach because he doesn't add any decoration to the account of h
Tosh
Mar 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Jean-Paul Sartre's version of "Rebel Without a Cause" and like James Dean, Sartre himself became an icon. Written in the late 30's, Sartre's study of a man who analyze his feelings, bearings on a world that makes him sick. This book has so much identity to it, that it is almost a brand name for 'youth.' There is nothing better then to be caught reading this novel by a pretty girl in a coffee house. Unless it's Starbucks, and then it is just... pointless.
jack
Jan 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves the smiths, anyone over the age of 18
i found this book at a salvation army when i was 17, i had no idea who sartre was, i just liked the description on the back and it sounded really depressing which i was into at the time. i kept trying to read it for the next five years but could never get past the first ten pages or so because it would just bum me out too much.

i finally read it when i had just graduated from college. i'm glad that i waited that long because i don't think i would have gotten the joke until then. in much the same
MJ Nicholls
Dec 08, 2011 marked it as dropped  ·  review of another edition
An insufferable philosophical classic, penned in nauseating and styleless first person prose. Roquentin is an arrogant buffoon whose existential woes are trivial, arch and pathetic. No attempt to create a novel has been made, apart from using that most lazy of constructs, the diary, opening the whole work out to a meandering thought-stream of excruciating random dullness. It isn’t accessible to confused students, unless those students happen to be aesthetes on private incomes writing dull histor ...more
Alex
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
The thing with existentialism is that once you admit there's no meaning, you have to admit that there's no meaning, and people get freaked out about it. I don't know why. I was raised atheist and I've never thought there was any meaning and it seems okay to me; maybe it's only scary if you used to think there was a meaning and suddenly you find out there isn't one. Listen, I'll tell you the meaning of life.

1) Be nice
2) have fun

That's it.

Neither of those things occur to Antoine Roquentin in this
Fear, anxiety, suffering, freedom, and self-deception― that's the human condition right there for you folks.

Nothing matters.

Life is meaningless. Life is pointless. Life is empty.

I'm going to have to reread this again to fully wrap my head around it.
Lea
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I was just thinking," I tell him, laughing, "that here we sit, all of us, eating and drinking to preserve our precious existence and really there is nothing, nothing, absolutely no reason for existing."

I smile at him. I would like this smile to reveal all that he is trying to hide from himself.

It’s really hard for me to rate this book, to write a review or even form an opinion. I kinda feel I’m not old, educated or wise enough to appreciate it fully, and this is one of those books I would b
Ian "Marvin" Graye
A Novel of Ideas?

Much criticism of "Nausea" describes it as a novel of ideas, as if this is necessarily a pejorative term.

To me, the term (as used in this negative context) implies that the characters are a mere mouthpiece for ideas or ideologies, and that they simply argue with each other until a resolution is reached (or not).

I question whether this characterisation applies to "Nausea", and would like to make a case for an alternative perspective on the novel in this review.

Ironically, to argu
Trevor
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t really tell you why I picked this up now – I just decided I needed to read some fiction. Perhaps I also thought I should ease my way gently back into fiction with something written by a philosopher. The more I think about it, the more this book seems like an awfully strange one to pick – but I seemed quite determined at the time to start reading it. It would be nice to then be able to say – and this was just the book I needed to read right now, this was just the thing - as if there were ...more
Clem (the villain's quest)
May 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star
⭐️ small dick energy star

description

As a French person, when foreigners learn that I 'majored' in Philosophy in HS, the first name that burst out of their mouth is, you guessed it, Jean-Paul Sartre. And just to give you a quick personal history, since the dawn of time, JPS been butt of our jokes.

Synopsis: Nausea follows the strongest small-dick energy character in the world as he struggles to write his own book and is submerged by a feeling of self-doubt and eventually, existentialism. Since he feels ema
Vikas Lather
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Deeply unsettling novel reflecting the hideous emptiness of our existence. "I want to leave, to go somewhere where I should be really in my place, where I would fit in . . . but my place is nowhere; I am unwanted.”
Edward
As literature, Nausea is a remarkable character study and exploration of the ideas of existentialism. Sartre is a talented writer, capable of some truly striking prose, and the novel succeeds at drawing the reader deep into the mind of Roquentin in a manner that is intimate and engaging.

But I can't say that I find these ideas as a basis for thought all that compelling. Sartre seems to have seized upon a common yet admittedly powerful experience - that peculiar sensation of sudden strangeness wh
Elizabeth Cárdenas
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
I have to admit that I read this book in the summer between finishing high school and starting college - a time when I felt sure everything I'd been taught was irrelevant. When I read Nausea, I thought and acted like I had discovered the holy grail! I told all my friends (all 3 of them) they HAD to read it. I fell in love with this book with the intensity only a young person in their late teens can. (Evidently not all young people feel this way. My best friend still blames me ruining her summer ...more
david
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sartre is like a large multi-vitamin tablet that is difficult to swallow. The pill has all these unknown elements that will make you strong and healthy and live longer, but you do not know exactly which ingredient is doing what. And you do not know if it cures or prevents, but you still take it, just in case.

Or it is like a Friday evening or a Sunday morning service. You go and you pray, but you are not quite sure what is being accomplished. The chapel is warm yet ominous, and the congregants a
Luís
Sartrian novels are a bit out of fashion, but La Nausée remains for me one of the best stories of the twentieth century. He accompanied me at one time, and I never stopped seeing him. It allows you to identify, when you like Sartre's philosophy, with a character who observes the world and is disgusted by it, so vain does it seem to him. He tries to make sense of his existence, to understand why he lives, but he comes to a sad and hopeless conclusion. It is not easy to read, it puts off and gives ...more
Steve
May 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Stale.

That word arises as I close the end cover to M. Sartre’s work. Maybe as a younger reader I would find this book of greater inspiration, instead I find it tiring, revisiting notions I pondered long ago. Further, having just finished the entire ten-year diary of Samuel Pepys, the length of this work, also in diary form, at less than 200 pages, felt … well … light.

A concluding thought: Blessed are those who live with continuous, resolute conviction, perhaps even purpose, in this journey.
Leo Robertson
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
That’s right: my meter is pregnant with stars. A full f**king 5 of them. That said, did I understand everything I read? F**k no. (The benefit of asterisks as I plan to swear a lot more :D)

But, many Goodreaders and former me, you can rate something 5* without understanding the whole thing. The reason in this case being that it communicates something to you that you don’t fully perceive, creates dialogue puzzles that peak your curiosity to solve another day and begs for a re-read. But I don’t shy
Stephen P
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those awaiting the next moment
Shelves: existentialism
An awakening not asked for yet fortunate. A review quietly gathering momentum that will appear when its time has come.

Hmm. It's here. But how...

Opening the cover I immediately slipped into Sartre’s cunning first person, becoming a first person. The Editors’ Note following the introduction which I usually refuse to read until I am finished with the book, is three short paragraphs unveiling important information, then beneath the next space and centered is, Undated Pages. In order to reap and fit
Seemita
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Seemita by: Riku Sayuj
Back in my school, when I took “Sanskrit” for the first time as a language, I was fascinated by it. Like Mathematics, I felt that anything and everything could be explained by Sanskrit. The language of the wise and experienced, it had its roots dating back to millions of centuries and was contributed to swell to its current form by thousands of brilliant minds and astute practitioners of life and non-life forms. The stream was so vivacious and bountiful that by just touching its surface, i.e., b ...more
Reading 1001: Nausea by Sartre 2 11 Jul 31, 2019 12:05PM

• Fear and Trembling
  • Beyond Good and Evil
  • Journey to the End of the Night
  • The Rebel
Jean-Paul Charles Aymard Sartre, normally known simply as Jean-Paul Sartre, was a French existentialist philosopher and pioneer, dramatist and screenwriter, novelist and critic. He was a leading figure in 20th century French philosophy.

He declined the award of the 1964 Nobel Prize in Literature "for his work which, rich in ideas and filled with the spirit of freedom and the quest for truth, has ex

News & Interviews

“It's quite an undertaking to start loving somebody. You have to have energy, generosity, blindness. There is even a moment right at the start where you have to jump across an abyss: if you think about it you don't do it.” 1090 likes
“I am alone in the midst of these happy, reasonable voices. All these creatures spend their time explaining, realizing happily that they agree with each other. In Heaven's name, why is it so important to think the same things all together. ” 1042 likes