What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fantasy book: Hero learn to control earth

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bfree380 (new)

Bfree380 | 6 comments Trying to remember the name of the fantasy book where the young hero has to go through a portal/gate to gain power of earth. The "bad guy" has power over fire, and there is a girl that goes through a portal/gate to gain water mastery. There can only be one master of each element alive at one time, and anyone else going into the gate is instantly killed. I don't remember much else, except the bad guy is making the weather hotter and drier in the first book.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35107 comments Mod
Bfree380, around what year did you read this book?

Is this book for young adults (teens) or older adults?

Does the hero start on Earth and then go through a portal/gate to a fantasy world?

message 3: by Bfree380 (last edited Oct 09, 2017 07:14PM) (new)

Bfree380 | 6 comments Kris wrote: "Bfree380, around what year did you read this book?

Is this book for young adults (teens) or older adults?

Does the hero start on Earth and then go through a portal/gate to a fantasy world?"

Honestly, I don't recall if the book was for teens or adults. I'm leaning towards young adults, though. I read it a few years back, but don't know the publishing time-frame.

The hero started out in whatever land the book is set in. He was just a commoner to start with. The gates are lost "legends" that have been found. If I remember correctly, not just anyone can go into a gate and come back alive either.

Mel (Epic Reading) (mel-epicreading) | 11 comments This sounds so familiar.
I first bought of Death Gate cycle then Mercedes Lackey's series Elemental Masters.
However I don't think it's either if these.

I'll keep looking/thinking.

message 5: by Bfree380 (new)

Bfree380 | 6 comments Mel (Epic Reading) wrote: "This sounds so familiar.
I first bought of Death Gate cycle then Mercedes Lackey's series Elemental Masters.
However I don't think it's either if these.

I'll keep looking/thinking."

Yep, it's not either of those. I do appreciate you looking/thinking!

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39275 comments Mod
Bfree380, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by Bfree380 (new)

Bfree380 | 6 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Bfree380, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

Thanks for asking. I was able to find it somewhat recently, but now, again, can’t recall the name. I’ll find it again and post it here.