What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Ghost in the Third Row (Nina Tanleven, #1)
This topic is about The Ghost in the Third Row
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA/MG mystery where the whodunnit resolution hinges on the word "heron" and a synonym for it. [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marci (marci__) | 63 comments I think I read this book in middle school (so, 2005-2008) and it was a young adult mystery. The main character was female and made friends with another (new?) girl, I think?

I remember that the resolution of the mystery hinged on the main character realizing that the surname of the man who committed the crime (Heron) and an alias he was using both referred to the same kind of bird--two different words for the same animal.

I'm afraid I don't remember much besides that!

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2099 comments What was the other word for heron? Bittern? Egret?

Marci (marci__) | 63 comments I want to say "egret," but to be honest I'm not sure.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Herons are also called "waders."

message 5: by Kris (last edited Oct 08, 2017 07:37AM) (new)

Kris | 35672 comments Mod
Marci, can you tell us about the crime and victim?

Is this part of a girl detective series?

What's the time period and location - country, region, big city/small town?

message 7: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2404 comments Was it new at the time? I have read a book where heron was a clue (Who stole Kathy Young? By Margaret Goff Clark) but it doesn't match the second paragraph. You can read the heron references online in the PDF scan on openlibrary.org.

message 8: by Rosa (new) - added it

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5217 comments Who Stole Kathy Young? for the link.

Marci (marci__) | 63 comments Hi guys! Wow, I was not expecting this many responses. Thanks for being so helpful!

For now, I'm inclined to think that Cupcakedoll found it--an older cover of that book looked familiar to me. I requested it recently from my state's interlibrary loan program in order to confirm, but it's taking a while to show up.

message 10: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2404 comments The ghost in the third row by Bruce Coville
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=...
A preview. Heron and crane.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Be sure to let us know if you found your book when you get the interlibrary loan book. We like to know yes or no!

Marci (marci__) | 63 comments I think the answer is yes: The Ghost in the Third Row is it!