ARCs Anonymous discussion

Monthly ARC Motivation > What's your coolest recent ARC?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) | 219 comments Mod
We might as well share our ARCs now that we've got them.*

* side-effects of really wanting to go download mentioned ARCs may manifest. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Let me start! I received a really cool ARC on Monday, one I've wanted for a half a year! This is it:

Weaver's Lament (Industrial Magic, #2) by Emma Newman

It's the latest in the series Industrial Magic, and I bet you can already tell from the name that it's amazing! Basically, it's Victorian England, but magic is also a... thing. Unfortunately, if you're found out to be a mage, you're taken away from your family, prohibited to ever make a family (because the establishment fears the power of your offspring). The good thing about it is that at least it pays well. And they use magic for all industrial things! Basically, steam trains and cotton mills can't run without magi making it run. It's an amazing world!

Other than that, the protagonist is this kickass lady who hides the fact that she's a mage because she wants a family and freedom. It's basically an urban fantasy with steampunk elements!

The story of how I got this ARC was pretty amazing as well. Last year I had to buy my copy cause I was declined. This year I was like, I wonder? And so I requested it and crossed my fingers. And I got approved! 3 minutes after I was, I log into NetGalley all excited and find its been.. archived? It comes out in two weeks! 😂 so I wrote the publicist and was like, they'll never reply.. they never do. And yet! She emailed me back several times until she solved my problem with a personal invitation to download! It was an amazing change from last year, and so inspiring.

Long story short? I've already read it, need to write the review soon and fit it into my tight blog schedule! But I can truly TRULY recommend this series, please check it out! Here's the first book if I got you hooked with that description:

Brother’s Ruin (Industrial Magic, #1) by Emma Newman

And here is my review for the first book:
http://avalinahsbooks.space/brothers-...

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (Northern Plunder) (northernplunder) The Last Namsara
i got this and i am dying to read it but also its not horror and october is supposed to be horror month for me but i think im gonna abandon that idea so i can read this book! :)

message 3: by Sheila (last edited Oct 05, 2017 01:42PM) (new)

Sheila G (foalsfictionandfiligrere) Zenith (The Androma Saga, #1) by Sasha Alsberg One Dark Throne (Three Dark Crowns, #2) by Kendare Blake The Last Namsara (Iskari, #1) by Kristen Ciccarelli
These were the three I was most looking forward to getting approved for--and I was! I've actually completed all but Zenith, which I will hold off for a bit since it doesn't release until next year.

message 4: by Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (last edited Oct 05, 2017 01:52PM) (new)

Lauren and Sheila, I've seen a few reviews of The Last Namsara already! No worries, you can always join next months theme 😊

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Oct 05, 2017 05:16PM) (new)

Sarah  (aweebishbookblog) | 7 comments I was sent a Nora Roberts physical ARC! I was so blown away. I've been on an Urban Fantasy binder lately, but Roberts is like... a romance author celebrity LOL.

Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1) by Nora Roberts

Also, this book sounds unlike anything else she's written. I'm kind of super excited to see what direction it goes.

Sam - Spines in a Line (spinesinaline) | 10 comments Not technically an ARC since I think it's already been published but I was super happy to receive Mosaic by Nina Berkhout.

I emailed the publisher asking whether she'd be doing any author events since I missed her last month and they offered to send me her latest book! Loved her first book so excited about this one

message 7: by Adele (new)

Adele | 20 comments I got an ARC of The Empress! The Empress

I loved the first book, so, hopefully I love The Empress as well. :)

Sarah, I don't read romance, but even I know about Nora Roberts :D she IS a celebrity! Congrats, that is an awesome grab!!

Sam, congrats about getting that one. It's awesome that you get print books, I am ever so jealous :D

Adele - ooh, the Diabolic? Haven't read that series, but I've heard a lot about it. I hope you enjoy!

Samantha (WLABB) (samanthawlabb) I always try to get my Can't-Wait Wednesday titles, and I got approved for two of them this week: Finding Felicity and RIP Eliza Hart. I was pretty excited.

Congrats, Sam!

message 11: by imyril (new)

imyril The ARC I’m most geeked out about is Gnomon by Nick Harkaway. I’ve loved all his books - his combination of madcap adventure and commentary on our times and technology are catnip for me.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (aweebishbookblog) | 7 comments Evelina | AvalinahsBooks wrote: "Sarah, I don't read romance, but even I know about Nora Roberts :D she IS a celebrity! Congrats, that is an awesome grab!!

Sam, congrats about getting that one. It's awesome that you get print boo..."

Thanks Evelina! :)

imyril wrote: "The ARC I’m most geeked out about is Gnomon by Nick Harkaway. I’ve loved all his books - his combination of madcap adventure and commentary on our times and technology are catnip for me."

Haven't heard of that one! Making me curious :)

message 14: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Santistevan I just finished an ARC from Bookstr that I received in the mail back in January and it’s called Freeks by Amanda Hocking. It went on sale January 3 and I received it in the mail on January 21. I enjoyed the book. I finally decided to read it this month. I was just waiting for the right time to read it.

Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫ (lindsaysingerofstories) Kelli wrote: "I just finished an ARC from Bookstr that I received in the mail back in January and it’s called Freeks by Amanda Hocking. It went on sale January 3 and I received it in the mail on January 21. I en..."

I have seen this one around and I really want to read it!! I have been gushing over the cover! Worth the read?

I think I've heard of Freeks, although I can't remember exactly what it's about.

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiejudgesbooks) | 8 comments I was most excited about Queens of the Conquest by Alison Weir! I didn't think I'd get approved for it but somehow was, and I later even received a hardcover copy from the publisher.
OH, AND FOOLS AND MORTALS BY BERNARD CORNWELL, HOW DID I FORGET ABOUT IT, I just reviewed it! :)

You even got a print copy! Go you! That is awesome :)

message 19: by Melanie (last edited Oct 17, 2017 02:36PM) (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) I just got a print arc of The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert which is one of my most anticipated reads for next year! This book (and the arc) has one of the most beautiful covers I've ever seen.

The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert

message 20: by Marta (new)

Marta Pascual Perez (martapasperez) | 21 comments OMG! I am so jealous of you Melanie. Hazel Woods is also one of my most anticipated books from 2018 and I requested an ARC, tough is was denied😢. Hope you enjoyed! I am looking forward to read your review!

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (Northern Plunder) (northernplunder) I managed to get a copy of Hazel Wood a few months ago as it was sent to my work and no one reads but me lately! I've still not read it because I'm worried the hype is gonna kill it for me

I have to admit I actually don't know this one, but maybe that's a good thing cause I was also not requesting it xD

message 23: by Lauren (last edited Oct 25, 2017 03:29AM) (new)

Lauren (Northern Plunder) (northernplunder) Well, with the launch of NetGalley UK I ended up browsing.
So I now have Renegades
Renegades (Renegades, #1) by Marissa Meyer

Dang, Lauren! That's pretty amazing.

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Martin (kmartin802) I was most excited to get [Lake Silence] by Anne Bishop. I adored her The Others series and also enjoyed this spin-off. It won't be released until March 6 but I read it Christmas Day because I couldn't wait any longer.

I know that feeling :) haven't heard about that book yet though!

message 27: by Adele (new)

Adele | 20 comments Kathy wrote: "I was most excited to get [Lake Silence] by Anne Bishop. I adored her The Others series and also enjoyed this spin-off. It won't be released until March 6 but I read it Christmas Day because I coul..."

Oh my gosh!!! I want to read Lake Silence so badly!! I'm not requesting it though since I kinda wanna buy the books as ecopies <33

message 28: by Adele (new)

Adele | 20 comments I recently got approved for some cool ARCs! I'm so excited to read them. I was approved for The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw, and another one that I'm particularly excited for is Protogenesis by Alysia Helming! Much excite!

That sounds awesome :) for anyone also not aware, these are both read now currently, so no request needed, and they're really worth it!
- The Girl on NetGalley - about how Marilyn Monroe was an unlikely feminist, very nice book
- The Letter to the King on Edelweiss - a backlist fantasy classic, very very good and you should totally grab it!

message 30: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) Currently the ARC I'm most excited about is The Girl and the Grove, but it only comes out in May so it's at the end of my list :( I'm still so happy that I got accepted for this one though! (And that I was able to request in the first place - most books are on "wish for it" for me.)

message 31: by Samantha (WLABB) (new)

Samantha (WLABB) (samanthawlabb) I just got Chaotic Good, which was one of my Can't Wait Wednesday books, so I was excited to be approved.

message 32: by Samantha (WLABB) (new)

Samantha (WLABB) (samanthawlabb) Alexandra wrote: "Currently the ARC I'm most excited about is The Girl and the Grove, but it only comes out in May so it's at the end of my list :( I'm still so happy that I got accepted for this one..."

I have a DRC for this one too. It sounds really intriguing, and I am curious to see what Eric Smith has to say.