Start by marking “The Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood, #1)

The Hazel Wood

(The Hazel Wood #1)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  26,658 ratings  ·  5,922 reviews
Seventeen-year-old Alice and her mother have spent most of Alice’s life on the road, always a step ahead of the uncanny bad luck biting at their heels. But when Alice’s grandmother, the reclusive author of a cult-classic book of pitch-dark fairy tales, dies alone on her estate, the Hazel Wood, Alice learns how bad her luck can really get: her mother is stolen away―by a fig ...more
Published January 30th 2018 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about The Hazel Wood, please sign up.
Melissa Hello, and thank you! The book was inspired by my obsession with classic portal fantasy, fairy tales, and contemporary-set fantasies like The…moreHello, and thank you! The book was inspired by my obsession with classic portal fantasy, fairy tales, and contemporary-set fantasies like The Magicians; by an image I had in my head of a fairy-tale character breaking into the real world; and by my infatuation with general spec-fic weirdness: doors to the unknown, books that might be cursed, stories that live and breathe...(less)
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,046 books — 5,065 voters
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. MaasQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareWar Storm by Victoria AveyardThe Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Can't Wait Books of 2018
1,291 books — 4,722 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Did her insides match her outsides? Was the way my life dripped off me like water, barely leaving a mark, normal?

Okay, so this was not a book for me. I really wish I hadn’t received an arc of The Hazel Wood and had instead waited for more reviews to roll in first.

The blurb makes it sound exactly like the kind of dark fairy tale goodness I love, but if someone had - more accurately - explained that this is a book about a girl called Alice who gets sent to Wonderland the Hinterland where she me
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
4.5*
Thoughts tk at some point when I have time, sorry!
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
It's time for another unpopular opinion review! This book was literally the single biggest reading disappointment of the year for me. I really wanted to love this story. It was being marketed as a twisted fairytale, and those are my aesthetic for sure - the spookier and darker, the better - but this fell short in so many ways. Please remember that these are just my opinions! You are more than welcome to disagree or tell me your thoughts, but please do so respectfully. ❤

"I wanted that distance.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UP DAMN DATE!

Here is the Fairyloot Box. I told y'all I would have both of my subscription boxes with the same book. As usual, look for the link under the picture.

BOOKISH STUFF FROM FAIRYLOOT

This OWLCRATE picture is crap y'all. Don't ask, but as usual, click on the link below picture to see the unboxing & some other surprises ♥

BOOKISH STUFF

Well, there are not that many great reviews for this on my friends list. So let's see how it goes!

I think I jinxed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just wasn't f
Melanie

ARC provided by Flatiron Books in exchange for an honest review.

“Once upon a time there was a beautiful queen who thought words were stronger than anything. She used them to win love and money and gifts. She used them to carry her across the world.”

Let me just start this off by saying that I normally only one star something if it has very problematic content. This book only has one element that made me uncomfortable (that I will talk about later on), but the main reason I’m giving this one s
Sabaa Tahir
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy Hinterland crows, that was good. Read this at night, with a cup of tea and the lights dimmed so you can be scared silly like I was. :D :D
Emma Giordano
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
3 Stars. Not my favorite book I’ve ever read, but still enjoyable.

I don’t have particularly strong feelings about this book. The writing was fine. The characters were okay. The world was probably the most interesting element of the story, but nothing amazing in my opinion. I really enjoyed how the story takes place in modern day New York City and the fairytale elements are hidden beneath. I found the fairytales/whimsical elements of the story to be it’s strongest point. I genuinely enjoyed my ti
Chelsea Humphrey
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chelsea by: Flatiron Books
Shelves: from-publisher
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt."

You know those Disney princess fairytales, the ones where the damsel in distress is saved by Prince Charming and they get married and live happily ever after? Yeah, this isn't that story. Think of the old school Brother's Grimm fairytales, and then imagine something even darker and you'll have a clear picture of what this book holds for you. That's not a criticism; one of the surest ways to get me to commit to reading a book is to tell me it's an old
Shreya (☆High Lady of The Night Court☆)
"And while they're being told, stories create the energy that makes this world go. They keep our stars in place. They make our grass grow."

You want to read a mysterious, crazily intriguing book, this is it. My heart was racing for the first 7 chapters because I had no idea what was going to happen and during the rest because I couldn’t wait to see where the Story was going (pun intended- if you’ve read it you’ll understand).

This is just so AMAZING. I don’t know how it possible to make somethi
Cait • A Page with a View
That was one of the most mesmerizing, creepy, and creative stories I've found in a long time! I absolutely loved the writing, but the plot itself wasn't really my cup of tea.

Alice grew up moving from place to place with her mom whenever "bad luck" and weird situations caught up to them. (Ex: she was kidnapped once when she was a kid, but the guy just bought her blueberry pancakes and then showed up a decade later at Alice's job looking the exact same age). Her grandmother wrote a book of dark fa
emma
Finally, I had an unpopular opinion………...but in the fun way!

Honestly, even though hating the books that everyone loves makes me feel #quirky and #unique and dare I say...not like other girls, it gets old. Hating the books your friends love = no fun.

Liking the books your friends hate, on the other hand: A BLAST.

All the shenanigans and special-snowflake-ness of an unpopular opinion with none of the pain and full-on suffering of reading a bad book! I should
bran (brandonthebookaddict)
THREE THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS BOOK.

1) I heard that this book had The Raven Boys vibes and I was sooo excited to read this book and find out more as to why it resembled one of my favorites series of all time BUT......

literally,

FUCKING LIESSSSSS. I SEE NOTHING, N O T H I N G, ABOUT THIS BOOK THAT RESEMBLES MY FAVORITE BABIES OF ALL TIME. TO EVEN COMPARE THE TWO IS SACRILEGIOUS WTF.

People say,

"Oh, the writing!"
"Oh, the atmosphere!"
"Oh, the story!"
HELL TO THE FUKCING NOPE.

JUST NOPE. NOPE. NOPE.
Hannah Greendale
Seventeen-year-old Alice has never had reason to believe her grandmother's book of dark fairy tales is founded in truth - until now. When her mother is kidnapped by a mysterious figure who claims to be from the Hinterland – the dangerous supernatural world where her grandmother's stories are set – she must join forces with a classmate, Ellery Finch, whose cult-love of her grandmother's fairy tales are the key to finding the realm where her mother is being held captive.

The Hazel Wood pays homage
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
On sale now! Final review, just posted on Fantasy Literature:

Alice Proserpine has always led a drifter’s life with her mother Ella. They scrape by on the edge of homelessness, constantly moving from place to place, staying with friends until they wear out their welcome, bad luck relentlessly dogging their footsteps wherever they go. And they never speak about Ella’s mother Althea, a reclusive author who lives in a grand, nearly impossible to find estate called the Hazel Wood, and who was famous
Heather
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was so deliciously dark & creepy.
Overall I really enjoyed it but it just wasn't a full 5/5 for me.
The main character was horribly mean and made me not like the book as much.
I did enjoy the actual stories from 'Tales from the Hinterland' a ton though, that I would love to see a full length novel of.
I enjoyed the concept of this book but the second half got a little weird and took many different directions and honestly was hard to keep up with.
I would recommend this if you like dark,
Riley
Feb 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: review-books
This book took me almost 4 months to read because every time I picked it up I just felt dread. That may be a bit harsh considering I really enjoyed the beginning of this book but I quickly found that it just was not what I expected or wanted.

This was marketed as a fantasy so I was very confused when the fantastical elements didn't even come into the book until 2/3 of the way. If you're gonna sell me a fantasy you better deliver.

I also was very uncomfortable with the way Finch, the only person
Lola
3.5 stars.

This is a curious story.

It is mysterious from beginning to end. The atmosphere is dark enough to make suspenseful scenes give us goosebumps and the writing is a combination between fairytale-esque and modern.

I read this book for the story, not for the characters. The problem with the characters is that there are only two main ones – Alice and Finch. Other characters are mentioned, but do not appear in the story frequently, if at all.

Alice and Finch make a valuable duo, seeing that t
Candace Robinson
Don't know what to say... I'm bummed about this one... 😞
Eryn (Literary Lady)
2/5

This was…well, I mean — ugh, this is disappointing to say, but this just wasn’t good ya’ll. And believe me, as someone who was waiting to read this since last year, I’m extremely disappointed right now. I mean, the synopsis sounded great, and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this. The beautiful cover only made my wait that much worse. And what did I get? A story that was not even average. I swear, once I got past the halfway mark I just wished the novel would end already, and that’s never a
Melissa
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
UPDATE: I've been getting this question a lot, so I'll answer it here: The Hazel Wood is not an Alice in Wonderland retelling. I just like the name Alice. ;)

For the curious: a first chapter excerpt lives here: http://ew.com/books/2017/06/07/meliss...

(And thanks for being curious!)
Carrie
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
At seventeen Alice had never known what it was like to have a real home, she and her mother were always on the move as far back as she can remember. Alice knew that somewhere out there she had a grandmother that lived on her estate, the Hazel Wood, although Alice had never been to meet or visit her. Her grandmother though was famous from writing a book that Alice had never been able to read, a book of fairy tales of Hinterland.

One day Alice catches her mother with a letter that she finds out ha
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: The Hazel Wood is a young adult fantasy written by Melissa Albert. It will be published on 1/30/2018 by Flatiron Books, an imprint of Macmillan Publisher, 368 pages. The genres are young adult, fantasy, and fiction. This book is intended for readers ages 12 to 18. This is the author’s debut novel.

My Experience: I started reading The Hazel Wood on 8/6/17 and finished it on 8/18/17. I love reading this book, despite some creepy elements in it. It keeps me at the edge of my seats. The bad lu
Kate (GirlReading)
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75*
Alice in Wonderland meets Inkheart in Melissa Albert's dark and twisty modern day fairytale, The Hazel Wood.

I have to say that enjoyed the first half more so than the second, as it was less fantasy and more twisted contemporary mystery, which I loved. I also felt the ending was a little rushed and therefore there were parts of the world and plot I couldn't quite get a grasp on. Having said that, I really enjoyed both Alice and Finch as characters and overall found The Hazel Wood to be a f
Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books)
"The Hinterland didn’t tell nice tales.”

3.5

The Hazel Wood is the first installment of an apparent duology (you can never be too sure these days), and it follows seventeen-year-old Alice as she and her mother live life on the run from “the bad luck”. After they learn about her grandmother’s death – Althea Proserpine, the obscurely famous author of the dark Tales From The Hinterland Alice's mother seems to believe they won’t have to run anymore. But soon enough, the ill-tempered girl has
Lou
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I will start by saying - this is an incredibly talked about book pre-publication and despite me loving everything the synopsis detailed, I was a tad worried that, like other massively hyped novels, that it would be a let down - I needn't have been concerned, this book is magnificent.

I have certainly noticed that it has polarised opinion quite a bit but I can't understand why as I wouldn't have changed anything about it, it was a fantastic read for January and the start of a whole new reading ye
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This started off SO strong, but I feel like the first half and the second half were completely different books. Even though I’m not usually into fantasy, I would have easily given the first half 5 stars, but then the second half happened and I just 😐 ugh. What a let down. I will read more from this author in the future because I know she has potential to write a book I’ll love, but this one just was not it. Womp.
Anika
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
*****I received this book for free from a Goodreads giveaway*****

2 stars.

I was really disappointed with this book. It was my first and probably only ARC I will ever get, and it was a let down.

This book started off super strong for me. I flew through the first 80 or so pages, the writing really sucked me in. The beginning was so addicting learning about Alice and her mom Ella, and their past.

Then it took an Alice in Wonderland turn, and I stopped enjoying it. It’s not that I don’t like Alice i
Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl)
RELEASE DAY!

Review also found at:

This book reminds me a bit of Christina Henry’s Alice. (That book was a 2015 Goodreads Choice Nominee for Horror just so that sort of sets the vibe for you). Although this is not set in an alternate reality. It takes place in our world, but has a fantasy element, which makes this a mashup of urban fantasy and magical realism.

Seventeen-year-old Alice and her mother Ella have been drifters, wanderers, her whole life. She is
Stacee
I had seen so many people losing their minds over this, so I was quite excited to get a chance to borrow an arc from a friend and honestly, I don't know how to review this.

Alice is the sort of MC that I struggle with. She's rude and I loathed her pretty much the entire time I was reading it. Because I didn't care about her, I didn't care about what she was going through. I liked Finch, but he wasn't enough to carry the story for me.

Plot wise, it was sloooooooow. It felt like nothing happened f
Lucy Langford
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was AMAZING!! I haven't particularly read any fantasy books (other than repeatedly rereading Harry Potter) and it was refreshing to read this.

This was my kind of fairytale- more of a Grimms fairytale than a Disney one. I loved the dark tones to this book and the darkness of the stories mentioned in "Tales of the Hinterland", the tales that are mentioned through out this book.

This book enabled me to really develop my imagination. From creatures to the settings of dark dark woods. This b
The Hazel Wood 2 9 Nov 21, 2018 03:03AM
For Love of a Book: The Hazel Wood - Buddy Read June 7 21 Nov 16, 2018 06:11AM
The Fandom Entries : The Hazel Wood 4 11 Nov 01, 2018 02:23PM
Colorful Language: Welcome/October's Black Book Cover Theme Selection 7 6 Oct 15, 2018 07:13AM
Colorful Language: "The Hazel Wood" Non-Spoilery Updates 1 4 Oct 15, 2018 07:01AM

The Hazel Wood (2 books)
  • Untitled (The Hazel Wood #2)
“She talked like a woman who knew more books than people.” 56 likes
“Look until the leaves turn red, sew the worlds up with thread. If your journey's left undone, fear the rising of the sun.” 34 likes