Reading List Completists discussion

The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
This topic is about The Mists of Avalon
Mists of Avalon > Mists of Avalon - Book One - Mistress of Magic

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1705 comments Mod
Discuss Book One of The Mists of Avalon here.

message 2: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well, this one is going to take a bit to get into - I have already fell asleep reading it twice!

message 3: by Scarlett (new) - added it

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance | 41 comments I have the book, but other group reads lined up first at the moment. I will follow your comments, before I even start it. I hope it gets better!

message 4: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Its not really bad - just not grabbing me

message 5: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

In one of the early scenes, there is kind of a barbaric argument between the make leaders about who should be the next king. I am thinking that since this book is thr Arthur tale from a female perspective, the male leaders are made to sound oafish and uncivilized on purpose.

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 69 comments I read this book years ago and am not sure if I will read it again (as its long). But I enjoyed it a lot - I thought the pre-Christian matriarchal culture vs the patriarchal Christian Roman culture was really interesting. King Arthur and his knights turn out to be the bad guys - destroying the previously rich culture that was not primitive. I learned a lot. Plus I liked the story and the characters - so hope you enjoy!

Jessica | 114 comments I also read it years ago (17 to be precise, oh I'm getting old ;-)), and at the time I completely missed the anti-Christian setting. Perhaps as a late teenager, it went over my head, or perhaps in between all the motivating female-heroics that part of the story just didn't matter that much to me at the time.

Jessica | 114 comments I just finished book I and even though I am enthralled by the magical story, I am also glad for a little break.

When Morgaine was undergoing the special Stagnight rites she wondered why she as an educated, civilised person was allowing herself to go along with ancient religious rites she was not versed in. I also wonder pff can you imagine your elders playing with your life like this?

Scheming vs love vs politics.

I do not know the Arthurian legend well beyond all the boisterous adventures of the knights of the roundtable and as portrayed in the BBC series "Merlin", so I don't know what will happen to this royal child and if Morgause will take centre stage. Will see next month!

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 69 comments Jessica : I haven’t read the later books in the series so I don’t know how it turns out. I don’t think if the book so much as anti-Christian - as in exploring what was there before. And it’s poetic and moving that one world is there but disappears in the mist when Arthur’s world and beliefs take dominance

Jessica | 114 comments Joe wrote: "Jessica : I haven’t read the later books in the series so I don’t know how it turns out. I don’t think if the book so much as anti-Christian - as in exploring what was there before. And it’s poetic..."

That's very true.

Also, I think it was more the suprise that the reaction to (early) Christianity plays such a big part and still I completely forgot about it.

message 11: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

The relationships so far between the men and the women are so harsh, rough around the edges, etc. It is a bit uncomfortable! Even the people who are supposed to like each other!

Jessica | 114 comments Matthew wrote: " Even the people who are supposed to like each other!"

Very true! Nobody is really free to choose their relationships though, and even the people who they are supposed to like have their own agenda and do not hesitate to play with the lives of others. How then would you be able to trust anyone?

message 13: by Phil (new) - rated it 2 stars

Phil Jensen | 18 comments Matthew wrote: "In one of the early scenes, there is kind of a barbaric argument between the make leaders about who should be the next king. I am thinking that since this book is thr Arthur tale from a female pers..."

Taking the book as a whole, I thought the male characters were more sympathetic than the female ones. The women are generally miserable and focused on manipulating each other, while the men are more focused on things like brotherhood and providing for the kingdom.

message 14: by Phil (new) - rated it 2 stars

Phil Jensen | 18 comments Joe wrote: "Jessica : I haven’t read the later books in the series so I don’t know how it turns out. I don’t think if the book so much as anti-Christian - as in exploring what was there before. And it’s poetic..."

I agree that it is not anti-Christian, or at least not effectively anti-Christian. It takes a strong stance against the gender restrictions of the medieval church, but that's a far cry from attacking the religion itself.

My review outlines the major viewpoints and contradictions that Bradley develops in the book: (spoilers)

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 15: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phil wrote: "Matthew wrote: "In one of the early scenes, there is kind of a barbaric argument between the make leaders about who should be the next king. I am thinking that since this book is thr Arthur tale fr..."

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - and congrats on being able to read through my typing errors!

message 16: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

As I finish part one, I feel that the similarity between the names Morgause and Morgaine has been - and I fear will continue to be - confusing!

Glenda | 61 comments Matthew wrote: "As I finish part one, I feel that the similarity between the names Morgause and Morgaine has been - and I fear will continue to be - confusing!"

I agree! I'm about 100 pages in, I did break down and print out a list of characters that I keep in the back of my book (and after seeing the list I'm glad I did!). I'm enjoying it so far, I'm just glad I didn't read it when it first came out like I wanted to (I would have been way too young to appreciate any of the story).