Historical Romance Book Club discussion

A Good Rogue Is Hard to Find (The Lords of Worth, #2)
This topic is about A Good Rogue Is Hard to Find
Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR: A Good Rogue is Hard to Find

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4060 comments Mod
Synopsis: The rogue's life has been good to William Somerhall: He has his fortune, his racehorses, and his freedom. Then he moves in with his mother. It seems the eccentric Dowager Duchess of Worth has been barely skirting social disaster-assisted by one Miss Jenna Hughes, who is far too bright and beautiful to be wasting her youth as a paid companion. Now home to keep his mother from ruin, William intends to learn what's afoot by keeping his friends close-and the tempting Miss Hughes closer still.

Starting October 7th!

message 2: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

I will be reading the paperback version because my library has it. It's on hold and I am going to pick it up Friday!

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Going old school-yay!

Loriidae | 1120 comments Three more sleeps:)

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1964 comments Another author I haven't read before. I'm tempted to join in on this one, although I've still got some unfinished ones on my plate.

message 6: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

You should! We've been pacing ourselves on the previous BRs for Bowen, about four chapters a day, so you may feel you can continue with your others.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Jan130 wrote: "Another author I haven't read before. I'm tempted to join in on this one, although I've still got some unfinished ones on my plate."

Yes Join us Jan the more the merrier:)

message 8: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have only read the first chapter so far. I thought it started unusually slow, used to her grabbing my attention right away. Then, bam! Poor Lady Winston. I believe I would have been running out the door too!

Loriidae | 1120 comments Through Chapter One
I agree a very confusing start, but I guess KB's objective has been achieved as we are left in the same state as the hero.

Definitely never been a fan of snakes.

message 10: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Good point, making us feel as the hero does.

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Love the Earl of Boden's comment right at the start: "Did you ever stop to think, Worth, that the idea of marriage to this woman appeals to you because she doesn't exist? I'm sure marriage to an imaginary woman would be sublime." The earl rolled his eyes. "An imaginary cause would be just as good."
He is SO having a dig at Worth's wastrel, empty lifestyle- a Duke without any goals or ambitions. I love it. Because that gives us a hero who needs to grow:)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Then: "There you are, you little bastard." The voice was low and vicious and Will jerked in alarm, instinctively dropping to a crouch and backing out of the hall. This after he fell on his arse outside the front door. I love how he is kept completely off-balance- both physically AND mentally- throughout the first chapters. I was laughing- love to see a man trying and failing to keep his dignity!

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Finished Ch 4.

message 14: by Loriidae (last edited Oct 08, 2017 05:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments Through Chapter Four

Chapter 2. I wonder what good deed Jenna is performing at the races of all places - hmmm intriguing

Chapter 3. I wonder how Jenna met the Duchess?

Chapter 4. Masterful! Wonderful writing.

At least we have a real live duke this time!!

Loriidae | 1120 comments On starting a new book it is usually a while before I settle in and I put that down to the fact that I hardly ever read blurbs. I do when I first add it to my TBR, but only for the first in series, after that I make a point of not dojng so for the rest of the series. I find blurbs way too spoilerish. I might not read it for a year or so and rarely reread the blurb. Instead, I tend to rely on what others shelve the book as on the main page. If 200 people shelve it as erotica, I leave it alone, if six do then it will probably be ok for me. Although I am continually amazed at the number of people who shelve Victorian as Regency.

message 16: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Through Chapter Four

Chapter 2. I wonder what good deed Jenna is performing at the races of all places - hmmm intriguing

Chapter 3. I wonder how Jenna met the Duchess?

Chapter 4. Masterful! Won..."

I'm through Chapter 4 now. Good summation of my thoughts too.

Jenna's story about miscarrying after Peter left. How awful for her! I hope he gets his in the end!

message 17: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ursula wrote: "Then: "There you are, you little bastard." The voice was low and vicious and Will jerked in alarm, instinctively dropping to a crouch and backing out of the hall. This after he fell on his arse out..."

Haha yes! And then he puts his foot down, and it seems to work until he is led astray again with him wondering, "how did this happen?" Quite amusing.

message 18: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "On starting a new book it is usually a while before I settle in and I put that down to the fact that I hardly ever read blurbs. I do when I first add it to my TBR, but only for the first in series,..."

I don't look at blurbs or reviews much for books I know I am going to read -- typically if they are an author I enjoy. If it sounds convoluted or a trope that doesn't appeal, I am going to read it anyways, because a good author can get me through most potential uneasiness I'll have. New authors or ones that I am on the fence about are when I will research more through the reviews/blurbs.

Looking at how people shelves a book is a great idea! Will do so in future.

message 19: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Not sure how far I can get through today, each of the next four look like they are in middling to long in length. A Sunday should usually allow me extra time to read, but I am behind on a deadline so off to work I go.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Take your time Joanna, After this, I am going to be out of mobile / internet reception for about 36 hours. There is a landline so not totally out of contact. I am going to stay overnight about an hour and a half drive away (Paluma - 28 permanent residents) on top of a mountain (Mount Spec) in the middle of the rainforest with a group of ladies. So instead of sitting down with my book for afternoon coffee, I will be hiking looking out for snakes and leeches! But having lots of fun! We are staying in a B&B so all will be comfortable!

Loriidae | 1120 comments Yes the miscarriage heart rending at any time but alone at 19 with not a lot of knowledge, unsanitary conditions. Peter didn't know about the pregnancy, but to steal and walk away! Yes I hope there is karma in his future,

message 22: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Take your time Joanna, After this, I am going to be out of mobile / internet reception for about 36 hours. There is a landline so not totally out of contact. I am going to stay overnight about an h..."

Have fun! Sounds like an adventure! Hopefully snakes and leeches stay away from :-)

message 23: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Yes the miscarriage heart rending at any time but alone at 19 with not a lot of knowledge, unsanitary conditions. Peter didn't know about the pregnancy, but to steal and walk away! Yes I hope there..."

Yea, even without the pregnancy, his actions were despicable. He knew he was leaving her in dire straights with basically no honest options left. Then, she had to deal with a miscarriage all on her own. Just awful.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Home, nary a snake (plenty around by all accounts) or leech in sight, it was actually too dry for leeches. So all good. Just a bit tired, demanding drive (twisty and narrow up the mountain) and of course a strange bed.

Anyhow how far did you manage to get Joanna. I will catch up over breakfast tomorrow.

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Welcome back!
You are a braver woman than I am! And I live in a country full of poisonous snakes and spiders. But that's me: city born and bred ;)

message 26: by Loriidae (last edited Oct 10, 2017 12:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments Ursula wrote: "Welcome back!
You are a braver woman than I am! And I live in a country full of poisonous snakes and spiders. But that's me: city born and bred ;)"

Whereabouts are you Ursula? (I grew up on a farm in South Australia but am now up in Townsville. The snakes are already stirring here. Way too dry here, heading into our third year of drought if the monsoons fail again.

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Sunny (?) Melbourne! Yeah, you really have lived in the country. I am a big wuss- have done a bit of hiking but only Grampians and along the coast ( Wilson's Prom). Live in Sandringham - middle class and WASP- and visit my mum on Sunshine Coast every year. I'm a beach girl.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Joanna, that means Ursula and I live about 3000 km (1900 miles) apart. So no popping over for a quick cuppa :(

message 29: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh wow! Still closer than I am to you two, but that is not close. I grew up on a farm too, but I am also not very outdoorsy and live in the city now.

I have only read Chapter 5. I've just been swamped 😕

Loriidae | 1120 comments That actually works well for me. I have a full day today, as well.

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Yes Joanna but you are near me by proxy- your sister! Need to know in which suburb she lives:)

message 32: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

She's in the Williamtown area -- Newport. Looking at a map, it appears to be Northwest of you Ursula, up the coast. She just moved into a new place with a spare BR -- if only the cost of a place to stay was the prohibitive part.

Loriidae -- I hadn't heard of Townsville before or at least not recently that I recalled it. It is bigger than I expected! Is there a lot of focus on tourism for the GBR?

I think it would be nice to live near the coast, like your cities (and most of the Aussie population). I am a two-day drive from most.

message 33: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Read through Chapter 6

It's unfortunate that mother and son have had to put on a face for so much time. I wonder why they don't think the Duke would be supportive of their efforts and intentions. I am glad that the Duke is not blind to some of the clues. Great tension between these two in the carriage!

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Willy (as we call it) is a very cool place to live now- very expensive. Basically I could hop on a ferry to travel across to Newport. Used to be oil refineries etc, been gentrified/yuppified and real estate is pricey because it is on the bay. All those old industrialised areas near the city, the bay and public transport are super expensive now. You have to visit her, Joanna!
I've never been to Townsville but I think it is on the Great Barrier Reef- geez, I would have to google it! So embarrassing, Loriidae! Sorry! I've never been to the Reef- I suppose I should go soon, as it's slowly dying due to Climate Change and pollution :(

message 35: by Loriidae (last edited Oct 10, 2017 10:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments Unfortunately while we are adjacent to the GBR. It is too far out - a day's boat ride. 400km (250 miles) north at Cairns, we have taken half day sightseeing tours. The glass bottom boat tours are fabulous.

Tourism is a big focus, but we're a also home for a lot of mining workers (fly in / fly out), and there are huge army and airforce bases.

Yes my lad took his cousin snorkelling on a nearby island and there is a lot of coral bleaching. :(

Unfortunately while the beach is beautiful it is like most of Australia, too many nasties. Swmming is out for most of the year and confined to netted area that in theory sieve out the jellyfish, there are crocodile traps set in the harbour. It doesn't worry me because I am not a swimmer. The majority of people who like to swim have their own pools

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 295 comments Saw your comment and thought I'd pop in. I'm going on holiday to Port Douglas with the grand children end of November. Grand son who's 4 can't wait to see a crocodile. Hopefully, not too close.

message 37: by Ursula (last edited Oct 10, 2017 11:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Yikes- crocodile traps?? I don't like it when there is too much seaweed :) My cousin lives in Rocky and she finds the beaches can have a few nasties in summer.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Saw your comment and thought I'd pop in. I'm going on holiday to Port Douglas with the grand children end of November. Grand son who's 4 can't wait to see a crocodile. Hopefully, not too close."

Port Douglas is beautiful, make sure you get to Cape Tribulation. There is a children's picture book called Where the Forest Meets the Sea That's the phrase that came to mind when travelling the coast road to the Cape.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LjwbV0M...

Loriidae | 1120 comments Chapter 5 Now that is interesting "the majority of the duchess activities are illegal" I wonder what she is up to.

I like that William's irreverent humour that he has obviously inherited from his mother is peeking through. Chuckling aloud with my afternoon coffee.

Chapter 6 "Most everyone despised him, including his own family. I don’t want to be despised.”
And once again we see the vulnerable little boy peeking through the man.

I love the way in which Bowen has again taken an historical fact (peers being above so many laws) and rewritten it in an appealing matter.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Joanna wrote: "Read through Chapter 6

It's unfortunate that mother and son have had to put on a face for so much time. I wonder why they don't think the Duke would be supportive of their efforts and intentions. ..."

Yes, you can see the improvement in KB's writing from her first novel to this. We had inklings, that ballroom scene in book #1 was wonderful. She has ramped up the tension in both the bedroom scene and the carriage. The first couple of chapters were a little hesitant, but now it is almost as if she has settled into the plot and her writing reflects that.

message 41: by Ursula (last edited Oct 11, 2017 02:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments I think his image is so much the man who only cares about his horses and avoids any responsibility - for example, how long it took him to visit his mother (and the guilt he kept feeling) so I guess they think he will not understand what they are trying to do. He seems to be living a very shallow life-indeed, he seemed quite shallow and superficial whenever he came up in the previous book, remember? Ornamental but no substance.

message 42: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Chapter 5 Now that is interesting "the majority of the duchess activities are illegal" I wonder what she is up to.

I like that William's irreverent humour that he has obviously inherited from his ..."

She is doing a good job a subtly showing Will's character and vulnerabilities.

message 43: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Joanna wrote: "Read through Chapter 6

It's unfortunate that mother and son have had to put on a face for so much time. I wonder why they don't think the Duke would be supportive of their efforts a..."

Oh the bedroom scene! How could I forget that. It was humorous and tension filled!

message 44: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ursula wrote: "I think his image is so much the man who only cares about his horses and avoids any responsibility - for example, how long it took him to visit his mother (and the guilt he kept feeling) so I guess..."

Yea, I guess they each individually found their own way to cope with the abuse. Another way in which Bowen is showing us without tying a big red bow. Abuse such as they experienced probably would become isolating. I find it sad that a mother and son, who care for each other don't really know each other.

message 45: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Through Chapter 8

I made it through two chapters today! And they were good ones :)

Enjoyed the scene with the Duke's racer losing to one of the Duchess' horses. More thoughts later -- I am off to bed!

Loriidae | 1120 comments Joanna wrote: "Through Chapter 8

Enjoyed the scene with the Duke's racer losing to one of the Duchess' horses. More thoughts later -- I am off to..."

Yes his ego was quite deflated poor man!

Chapter 7. The conversation in the breakfast room. Priceless. Poor Will! The Duchess, such a master at diverting the conversation. Very witty writing.

Chapter 8. The scene in the stables. I noted that KB is historically correct with wanting to "drag his shirt ovef his head". I remember that Stephanie Laurens wrote an article saying she knew button through shirts weren't around until 1850 I think, but there were only so many love scenes she could write where the guy was in a position to pull his shirt off over his head.

message 47: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Joanna wrote: "Through Chapter 8

Enjoyed the scene with the Duke's racer losing to one of the Duchess' horses. More thoughts later..."

LOL - that conversation. Will is not getting any respect for his anger.

Good catch on the shirt accuracy. I don't know if I have noticed that before or not. That was a steamy scene!

message 48: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

I didn't get to read today -- only able to multi-task with an audiobook, but I should be able to read quite a bit tomorrow.

Loriidae | 1120 comments All good, I only read chapter 9

message 50: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Read Chapter 9 this morning, will read more later

A little nervous at the problem Viola is going to cause. Hopefully it's not a big scandal. Thought it was funny that Boden was shocked at Will's helpfulness and lack of obliviousness. Where is Jenna at? Did I miss where she would be or do we just not know yet?

« previous 1 3