Start by marking “A Duke in the Night (The Devils of Dover #1)” as Want to Read:
A Duke in the Night (The Devils of Dover #1)

A Duke in the Night

(The Devils of Dover #1)

Duke. Scoundrel. Titan of business. August Faulkner is a man of many talents, not the least of which is enticing women into his bedchamber. He's known-and reviled-for buying and selling companies, accumulating scads of money, and breaking hearts. It's a reputation he wears like a badge of honor, and one he intends to keep.

Clara Hayward, the headmistress of the Haverhall S
Published February 20th 2018 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about A Duke in the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Duke in the Night

Start your review of A Duke in the Night (The Devils of Dover #1)
OLT
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I've been fond of Kelly Bowen's work since her 2014 debut HR, I'VE GOT MY DUKE TO KEEP ME WARM. Since that one I've read almost all her stories that followed, but, unfortunately, am becoming a bit less enchanted with each progressive book. The "why" of this is not exactly clear to me. (1) It's not exactly because of her writing. She writes very well. In the top 10% of newer HR writers, I'd venture to say. (2) It's not exactly because of the characters. She gives them backstories to explain their ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Lovely, feminist historical romance.

I adored A Duke in the Night, my first by the very talented Kelly Bowen. I thought it was a powerful story with a female MC who carried the book, something we don't see as often as I'd like in romance.

Okay, I'll admit, the book was probably (most certainly) not historical accurate. Clara is a woman who is almost fully independent and gasp sexually confident, something rare in historical romance and even sometimes in contemporary romance. Now, the extent of Cl
Caz
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A- / 4.5 stars rounded up.

In the years since the publication of her début novel, Kelly Bowen has become an auto-read author and has a few books on my keeper shelf. Her writing is assured and intelligent, she comes up with intriguing, well thought-out plots, and her characters are engaging and often just that bit different to the norm for the genre. In A Duke in the Night, the first book in her new Devils of Dover series, her gift for characterisation is showcased in her heroine, Clara Haywa
Joanna Loves Reading
2.5 Stars

The two stars does seem harsh, and I am going to stew on this. It will probably get bumped up to three, because there were plenty of aspects of this story I liked. I just can’t say that I enjoyed this much and reading it felt like a chore at times.

Update...several hours later

Ok, I have thought about it and am not making an adjustment on the Stars. I know my opinion is swayed due to the timing of this read for me. Starting a new read while stressed is risky, but Bowen has been a reliabl
Mei
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
I know that many of my friends didn’t enjoy this one, but I did.

Yes, I’m the cat here…LOL

I know, I know… if this was a CR probably people would have enjoyed it more…

Still, I like my heroines to be strong and smart even if they’re anachronistic! And Clara was as anachronistic as they come! LOL

I enjoyed how she managed to instruct the stick-in-the-a** duke in a very polite, very smart way! He just didn’t saw it coming!

I loved that she was very aware that her views of the world were not what the
Shawna
4.5 stars - Historical Romance

This was my first read from this author and I really enjoyed it. It's a unique, refreshing, feminist historical romance with a strong, admirable heroine who keeps a tortured, powerful, wealthy duke unwittingly besotted and befuddled.
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
Since reading and loving her Seasons for Scandal series, Kelly Bowen has joined my list of auto-read authors and I have been looking forward to A DUKE IN THE NIGHT, the first book in her new The Devils of Dover series. Once again, she captivated me with an innovative story, interesting characters and a sensual romance.

As a debutante ten years ago, Clara Hayward had all the attributes that should have had numerous suitors falling at her feet – beauty, poise and family wealth. But she had one fata
Beth
Bowen masterfully captures the essence of the historical romance while bringing us a heroine that we would adore and expect from a contemporary romance. Emotionally connecting the reader with heartfelt circumstances, scarred and realistic characters and Bowen's ability to create a world with words, I have to admit its one of my favorite historical romances I read so far.

I received this ARC copy of A DUKE IN THE NIGHT from Forever - Grand Central Publishing. This is my honest and voluntary review
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

August might be a duke now, but he spent two years surviving on the streets while his father was in debtor's prison. He now can't make enough money and after he acquires a prime location that has a girl's school on it, he wants to buy Strathmore Shipping. The family is in dire straits, so he doesn't foresee a problem of them wanting to sell.
Clara is use
Bark
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, romance
This is not a real review because I am lazy and I read this for myownself. I took a mini-break away from all of the horror and dread and backstabbing I typically read and I am not sorry. This was a delightful historical romance with a smart, independent heroine who had the backbone to stand up for her beliefs. August was a decent hero who was hellbent on protecting his future for himself and his family at the cost of everything else. The conflict bit was a little "meh" and dragged out too long f ...more
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: A Duke in the Night
Series: The Devils of Dover #1
Author: Kelly Bowen
Release date: February 20, 2018
Cliffhanger: Yes

“You asked me once when enough is enough. You are my enough. You are my everything.”

This was a great introduction to Kelly Bowen's work for me! There were a lot of elements and themes I enjoyed, particularly the focus on gender inequality during the time, and how utterly powerless women felt because of it. A Duke in the Night also explored the age old question of the impor
Ira
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
If this contemporary romance, I bet the title will change to ‘a billionaire and a teacher hot weeks’ or something like that! Lol.

I wanted to read Clara’s story since The Lady in Red and I wasn’t disappointing with her story and August not a bad hero either:)

To be a female teacher or a businessman in early 19th century? Especially when you are one of those aristocratic families? Well, that’s almost an impossible task. But of course that word wouldn’t associate with these two.

The story more than t
Mandi Schreiner
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Favorite Quote: "I am not going to accept less of you, Clara Hayward. I will have you, and you will have me."

August Faulkner  is not only a man with a keen sense of business. Not only a man whose father was in debtor's prison for years. He is also a duke. An inherited title, but a self-made man of wealth. August finds businesses that are crumbling, buys them, breaks them down and rebuilds. He leaves the former business owners angry but he buys them fairly and has no remorse for what he leaves be
Sara Reads (mostly) LOTS of Romance
2- bored and disappointed stars- stars

I think this was the it's not you, it's me type of situation. I found the hero to be just exhausting. The whole book, he did not change one bit, and was just an unfeeling, cold businessman. He was also stuffy, and as his sister Anne described, kept himself in a small box. I usually don't mind, but he never changed. There was a back and forth between, wow I'm so attracted to Clara versus I can't be attracted to her just because I am a businessman and have no
Maria Rose
A Duke in the Night by Kelly Bowen is the first story in The Devils of Dover series. In The Lady in Red novella, the reader is first introduced to Miss Clara Hayward, the enterprising Headmistress of the Haverhall School for Young Ladies. A Duke in the Night gives Clara a chance to find her own happy ever after with a most unlikely match – scoundrel, Duke, and ruthless businessman August Faulkner.

Clara prides herself on her school for young ladies, a chance for women to throw aside family and ge
Leigh
What I didn't like:

-too much political talk. meaning, all the conversation between the hero and heroine were about a women's place. it became too preachy and boring. this ended up not being a romance but a commentary on women's rights and empowerment. this also lead it to feel more like a contemporary novel rather than a historical romance.

-while the heroine was exerting her independence, it didn't make sense or feel right for her to be pining after the hero. there was no reason for her to fall
Saly
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was totally the heroine show and I lapped it up! She was smart, clever, independent and definitely didn't fit into the time she was born in. She caught the hero unawares everytime, when she caught him in his lies, when she was so confident in her sexuality (which weirdly I liked and I am normally one who prefers inexperienced heroines because it fits into the whole "historical" context), when she calls him out on his and the society's hypocrisy towards women. She makes him see her poin ...more
Barbara Rogers
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, iblog
Series: The Devils of Dover #1
Publication Date: 2/20/18

I believe this was my first book by Kelly Bowen and I did enjoy it. However, all-in-all, I wouldn’t really class it as a Regency – it ‘feels’ much too modern. It is more like a modern story dressed up like a Regency. I’m giving it 4-stars because I really did enjoy the story. The heroine, Clara Hayward, is very much a contemporary woman, forward-thinking, ‘experienced’, etc. and all of the people surrounding her are very 'modern'.

August Faul
FV Angela
I loved every single thing about this book. Every. Single. Thing.

Review originally posted at http://fictionvixen.com/review-duke-n...

I’m going to try to write a review to do this book justice, because it deserves that, but dang it I’m not sure I can. A Duke in the Night left me completely surprised, partly at how wonderful it was, but also because at about halfway through I realized this is the first Kelly Bowen book I’ve ever read. And how did I let that happen?

August Faulkner, the Duke of Holl
Lady Wesley
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, rita-2019
Well-deserved winner of a 2019 RITA Award.
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup. (posts to blog 2/21/18)
Amazon: http://amzn.to/2CfrnC6

Well hello yummy cover!

The Gist: When his sister sneaks away in the middle of the night August figures he can just kill two birds with one stone-- hunt down his handful of a sister and suss out a new business opportunity. The school for young ladies where he finds her? Way more than meets the eye and quite possibly something that will change both of their lives forever.

August and Clara, well, neither
Romancebooksandmore
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Kelly Bowen book I have read, I wasn't sure what to expect but the premise seemed interesting. Miss Clara Haywood the daughter of a baron who ruins a school and whose family is secretly (or not so secretly) in debt, August Faulkner a duke who wasn't raised to be one but who fought the tough London streets to keep his sister alive and now doesn't know how to let her go.

two strong willed people, two passionate people, two people that will butt heads over and over and yet always
Bj
4.5 "A Duke Who Has Known Poverty & Finds Riches in Loves" Stars for the book and narration! Review coming soon to AudioGals. ...more
Jess
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Looooooved this story so much. Everything worked from the characters to the story, I was hooked from the start and so excited to read more in the series.
Minx
True Rating 3.5 stars!

A Duke in the Night is a historical romance that has a modern edge to it. The main protagonist, Clara Hayward, is by all appearances a straight and narrow headmistress. She runs the Haverhall School for Young Ladies, a school that she had inherited from her mother when she had passed away. Clara had always been on the outskirts of society because she was a very educated woman with a mind of her own. Not a quality that most wanted as a friend or lover but her strengths were
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
Not sure why, but I couldn’t get into this one. I could not feel the attraction between the H/h at all. They danced once together 10 years ago and there’s still a spark there? He’s still never forgotten her?? And the heroine was a bit too much of a feminist for that era. It just didn’t ring true at times. I stopped about 30% in simply because I was bored.

This is a first time author for me and I may try this authors books but I’m tapping out of this one.

But the cover is 🔥🔥🔥🔥!
Jess
I liked this enough to want to read more Kelly Bowen, but I didn't love it. It definitely had something to do with the fact that the hero was keeping secrets from the heroine most of the book and that the secrets directly impacted her livelihood and vocation. Which, THAT I was super into. I loved the concept of her summer term and just, her entire existence.

Definitely have to figure out a way to read more.
eyes.2c
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Have to say I was disappointed in this. Kelly Bowen is one of my 'go to' reads. I love her writing. This latest novel was just 'so so'. The sparks aren't there in the same way. It took me 2 days rather than 2 hours to read. Perhaps next time. As others have said, it is just too modern with the feminism touches, although interesting.
Aly
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Living in poverty when he was a child made August Faulkner, the Duke of Holloway, make sure he would never again. Over the years, he purchased institutions and company and built an empire. Recently he bought Haverhall, a school for young ladies. But he smell a rat. Why sell now while they never accepted his offers before ?

Clara Hayward is the headmistress of Haverhall. She always knew who she was and what she wanted and she chose to follow her own path instead of what was expected of her. Quick
Rachmi
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, romance, historical
I’ve read historical romance stories with heroines being open-minded and have a mind that beyond their time allow them to be. I’m aware that woman doesn’t have much choice back then but it’s always interesting and a good feeling to read that there are women who want something else than the society allow them and believe that they can achieve it, no matter how small and limited their choices are.

Clara Hayward is one of those heroines. She’s smart, independent, and knows what she wants and good at
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Respect for Christmas
  • A Duke by Any Other Name (Rogues to Riches, #4)
  • Forever and a Duke (Rogues to Riches, #3)
  • My One and Only Duke (Rogues to Riches, #1)
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • When a Duchess Says I Do (Rogues to Riches #2)
  • Lady Derring Takes a Lover (The Palace of Rogues #1)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • What a Difference a Duke Makes (School for Dukes, #1)
  • When a Duke Loves a Woman (Sins for All Seasons, #2)
  • Say Yes to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #5)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • A Scandalous Deal (The Four Hundred, #2)
  • For the Duke's Eyes Only (School for Dukes, #2)
  • The Sins of Lord Lockwood (Rules for the Reckless, #6)
  • Not the Duke's Darling (Greycourt, #1)
  • Beyond Scandal and Desire (Sins for All Seasons, #1)
Kelly Bowen grew up in Manitoba, Canada. She worked her way through her teenage years as a back country trail guide and ranch hand. She attended the University of Manitoba and earned a Master of Science degree in veterinary physiology and endocrinology.

But it was Kelly's infatuation with history and a weakness for a good love story that led her down the path of historical romance. When she is not

The Devils of Dover (3 books)
  • Last Night with the Earl (The Devils of Dover, #2)
  • A Rogue by Night (The Devils of Dover, #3)

News & Interviews

“August understood survival. He had done and continued to do what he needed to so that he would never have to go back. Back to a time when hunger and cold had been enemies, stalking him with a promise of death just as surely as the wraiths armed with knives and desperation had. Back to a time when he had lacked the power and ability to truly protect and take care of those he loved.” 0 likes