Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > What shall we read in November?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jemima (last edited Oct 03, 2017 01:17PM) (new)

Jemima Pett | 1299 comments Mod
Time to nominate possibilities for our book for November.

To recap on what is suitable to be nominated:

*should be widely available (internationally if possible) at low cost or free e.g. in libraries
* should be age-appropriate, i.e. an MG book (final decision rests on whether it is listed as childrens/MG on Goodreads shelves)
* the first point pretty much eliminates self-published books
* should be on theme!

This month's theme was going to be books beginning with X or Z to help with your A to Z challenge, but after Manybooks put up such wonderful lists to help us, I think that may be redundant.

How about Newberry Medal winners? Make sure that the book you want to nominate has not already been read. Our list is here.

Nominations close 20th October, unless we get a lot of nominations that mean a two-stage poll is needed. Watch this space!

PeekingLlama - Laura | 11 comments This is a link to the Newberry Medal winners thought it might help.

https://www.goodreads.com/award/show/...

message 4: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 336 comments Thimble Summer by Elizabeth Enright

message 5: by D.L. (new)

D.L. I am torn between 2 but I'll go with the classic Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. Because I loved it so much when *I* was a child. :)

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily Freeman | 13 comments The Crossover by Kwame Alexander. It is a beautiful book!

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Roberts | 1 comments The High King by Lloyd Alexander (or Hope Was Here if we're nominating Newbery honor books) so many good choices!

message 8: by SaraKat (new)

SaraKat | 226 comments Mod
I'd love to read Bridge to Terabithia (1979) or Maniac Magee(1991) this month.

message 9: by Jemima (new)

Only seven nominations so far. I’ll close nominations on 20th, or when we have 10 to pick from, whichever comes first.

message 10: by Carmel (new)

Carmel | 73 comments When you reach me, The Graveyard Book or The Grey King. I read The Dark is Rising series many years ago and would love to reread it I can’t remember if The Grey King #4 stands alone.

message 11: by Jemima (new)

We read When You Reach Me last year. Adding the other two brings us to nine...

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1668 comments Mod
I am going to assume that all of these are readily available in libraries, because I would expect them to have Newbery winners. And I'm not going to nominate one because we have a great selection already!

message 13: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 124 comments Mod
Rebecca wrote: "I'm not going to nominate one because we have a great selection a..."

That's kinda where I'm at. A bunch of these are on my To Be Read stack, so I'll wait to choose until the time comes to cast a ballot. Good theme! : )

message 14: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 124 comments Mod
Jemima wrote: "We read When You Reach Me last year...."

Y'know, I just went through our BOTM archives. Several I've read, but I added a bunch of them to my Want To Read pile. (I have some catching up to do!) Thanks for maintaining that summary post so it's easy!

message 15: by Jemima (last edited Oct 18, 2017 12:30PM) (new)

I'm going to close the nominations now, since we have nine, and if we have a last minute rush we won't have enough time to do a decent run-off poll. If you are desolate you didn't get your choice in, well, please don't wait until the last minute next time!

Right, the poll is up now and ends on 29th October Pacific Time, so some time on the 30th if you're in Europe, Africa, Asia or Australia. Please vote for a book you'd like to read next month - we seem to get lots of winners that people don't then read!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...