Stephen King Fans discussion

The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2)
This topic is about The Drawing of the Three
Dark Tower Buddy Read 2017-18 > The Dark Tower #2: The Drawing of the Three, October 2017

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1059 comments Mod
This is a thread for the second book in The Dark Tower series, The Drawing of the Three. It is specifically set up for a buddy read that will occur in October 2017 in this group on Keystone Earth.

Be mindful of spoilers. Some of us haven't read this yet (!) It's good to mark spoilers such:

Chapter 7: < spoiler> Spoilery Spoils < /spoiler>

It will show:
Chapter 7 (view spoiler)

The chapter/section out in front helps people that are currently reading to decide if they're far enough along to click on the clicky. And to post the spoiler tags, just take out the spaces between the < > in that example..

mrbooks | 1469 comments let the fun begin, on page 50 already.

message 3: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Gunter | 119 comments I read this along with The Gunslinger shortly after the Dark Tower movie came out, and I loved every second of it. While reading the first reminded me how average that one was, this one reminded me how incredible the rest of the series as a whole is. Can't wait to read everyone's reactions to this one.

Anita Just met The Prisoner and I really like this unexpected twist!

mrbooks | 1469 comments Had tooter fish popkins for lunch, Roland is right they are good.

Kole Donaldson | 24 comments Ok yeah this is MUCH better than the first one. I'm on the second drawing and I'm interested to see how this one works out..

mrbooks | 1469 comments Oh it is a as different from the first as it can be.

Anita The Lady of the Shadows is crazy!!!

mrbooks | 1469 comments Dad-a-ckock?

Cáitín  (book-vixen) | 3 comments I loved the second book and enjoyed the crazy Shadow Lady, I am listen to the books, cannot wait to see what comes next

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 738 comments I had a hard time getting into this one but I persevered and I'm glad I finished it. I really enjoyed the ending. I guess it was just slow hping for me.

mrbooks | 1469 comments Oh Roland you be in trouble that Detta she is one crazy lady

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 738 comments She was crazy all right.

message 14: by mrbooks (last edited Oct 31, 2017 03:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

mrbooks | 1469 comments Lets put it this way I would sleep with her around LOL

oops typo meant wouldn't sleep

KenJen T. | 646 comments Detta is crazy but her other half is sweet as can be...

message 16: by Summer (last edited Oct 31, 2017 03:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Summer (paradisecity) | 329 comments I wonder how different, if at all, Detta would be if the book were written now. There's a level of internalized racism that I'm not sure would fly as it's currently written. I trust that King could have given us a different flavor of conflict that would have worked just as well to preserve the group dynamics.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 810 comments Esse wrote: "I wonder how different, if at all, Detta would be if the book were written now. There's a level of internalized racism that I'm not sure would fly as it's currently written. I trust that Kind could..."

I haven’t started my re-read yet so I am going on memory here but isn’t Detta/Odetta a product of the 1960’s? He would have to change the time period Roland pulls her from to have a different conflict for Detta.

David Barnard | 15 comments I finished the second book last week on my first read of the series. I did not enjoy the Gunslinger too much but thought I would give this one a go before deciding on whether to continue. I did enjoy the Drawing of the Three much more and thought the interaction between the universes very cool.

mrbooks | 1469 comments Esse wrote: "I wonder how different, if at all, Detta would be if the book were written now. There's a level of internalized racism that I'm not sure would fly as it's currently written. I trust that Kind could..."

Esse, it is not the time the book is written it is the time frame it is written about. It is like Eddie said you would get hurt in his time for saying things Odetta considers normal.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 810 comments I’m so behind. I will get to this soon and catch up.

message 21: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 65 comments Nancy wrote: "I’m so behind. I will get to this soon and catch up."

Same here.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 810 comments I am finally getting to this tonight!

Nancy (paper_addict) | 810 comments I finished last night. I am excited to get to The Wastelands. That’s one of my favorite of the series.

mrbooks | 1469 comments Well done Nancy if you keep up at this rate you will be half way through Wizards and Glass by 1 Dec. All Joking aside, the wasteland is one of the best in the series.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 810 comments I have a lot of other reading obligations so I might not get to it until late in December or January.

:(

Nicole Power (nicolepower) | 284 comments Nancy, I agree, I’m always excited to get to The Waste Lands on my re-reads! It’s by far my most favorite of the series :)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Wizards and Glass here we come...

Tracy | 144 comments This one was so much better than The Gunslinger, and I liked the first one! I can't wait to continue the series. I like how the characters are all from different times. It really makes it interesting to see their interactions. Time sure does change things!

message 29: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 65 comments I’m sorry to be so far behind. I hope to catch up soon.

message 30: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 65 comments I’m sorry to be so far behind. I hope to catch up soon.

message 31: by Arka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arka | 4 comments Being late attending this buddy read, but Eddie Dean is a real cool turkey!