Start by marking “The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2)

The Drawing of the Three

(The Dark Tower #2)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  181,016 Ratings  ·  6,440 Reviews
In 1978, Stephen King introduced the world to the last gunslinger, Roland of Gilead.  Nothing has been the same since. More than twenty years later, the quest for the Dark Tower continues to take readers on a wildly epic ride. Through parallel worlds and across time, Roland must brave desolate wastelands and endless deserts, drifting into the unimaginable and the familiar. ...more
Published August 5th 2003 by Signet (first published May 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Drawing of the Three, please sign up.
Daniel If you pay some attention you'll notice that things such as time, space, direction, etc are inconsistent or just plain incorrect in Roland's universe.…moreIf you pay some attention you'll notice that things such as time, space, direction, etc are inconsistent or just plain incorrect in Roland's universe. The world has "moved on" as they say.

"Sometimes, even the sun rises in the north and sets in the east."
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dar...

It could be an oversight, but most likely meant to raise that exact question: Are east and west swapped in Roland's universe, or is this simply a symptom of a world that has 'moved on'?(less)
Sheila Stone The release date for the film is 8/4/2017. Am I the only one who feels the roles should be reversed in the film. There are comments everywhere about…moreThe release date for the film is 8/4/2017. Am I the only one who feels the roles should be reversed in the film. There are comments everywhere about Roland's BLUE eyes. In The Drawing of the Three, Detta goes ape shit at Roland because he is white. I think Idris should be the man in black and Mathew should be Roland. IMHO(less)
The Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Best of Stephen King
133 books — 3,199 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
1,556 books — 4,790 voters

More lists with this book...

Luca Ambrosino
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
English (The Drawing of the Three) / Italiano

The story resumes exactly where it ended up with The Gunslinger: on a beach. Roland wakes up after a sleep that maybe lasted years, with the only aim of recruiting the Three, without whom the journey to the Dark Tower cannot continue...

I was right to say in my review to the first chapter of the "Dark Tower" that there would be a turning point in subsequent volumes, and that "The Gunslinger" represented a sort of introduction in which nothing was clear

Jayson
(B-) 71% | Satisfactory
Notes: It plays tunes of discomfort by pulses and shrieks, sagging for lengths in its middle but picking up pace near the end.
Lyn
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
What the hell did I just read?

The Drawing of the Three is as far as I can tell, a unique literary experience.

The second book in King’s The Dark Tower series, published 5 years after The Gunslinger, this really begins The Dark Tower series. From my limited experience at having ready two of these, and myself more than two years in between, The Gunslinger seems like a prologue, a table setting. Maybe, just maybe, The Gunslinger is to The Dark Tower series as The Hobbit is to The Lord of the Rings.
Delee
When a very close friend lists a book as an ALL-TIME FAVORITE!!...the pressure to love it, and give it a review deserving of its fabulous-ness, is immense...when that very close friend is the gloooooorious Stepheny- the pressure is OFF THE CHARTS!!!! Anyone familiar with her- will know EXACTLY what I mean. ;)

...So here goes nothing *deep breath*...

photo 52be0ac8-bb79-4287-83a3-30d7dacde162_zpszibrxsca.jpg

THE DRAWING OF THE THREE- the second book in The Dark Tower series- takes place seven hours after we last left Roland Deschain in The Gunslinger. The
Mohammed Arabey
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike the dry Book One which was following one man in an endless desert;

Here are Three doing so..The More the Merrier indeed.
The Drawing of Three
Oh and it's endless beach this time..with monstrous crabs.. so much fun, trust me :)

لا أنكر أن الفيلم هو سببا رئيسيا لمتابعتي للسلسلة رغم انه كان مبسطا جدا ودون مستوي عمق روايات ستيفين كينج عاما
لكن الفيلم وضح قليلا من فكرة "برج الظلام" المبني عليها أحداث الرواية ، ويعدك بأن السلسلة بها ثغرات تؤدي لعوالم موازية، ازمنة مختلفة، وحوش متنكرة بيننا ، وشيط
Kemper
Mid-World General Emergency Room - 9:19 PM

“Step in here, please. What’s your name?”

“Roland Deschain.”

“And do you have any allergies, Mr. Deschain?”

“No.”

“And when…..wait a second. Roland Deschain? The last gunslinger? The guy who is on a quest to find the Dark Tower?”

“That’s me.”

“Wow. This is an honor. I mean, I see a lot of scum and mutants come through here. Especially since the world has moved on and all that, but to get Roland the gunslinger in here as a patient? That’s just crazy! I can’t wa
Stephen
Jeff
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Available: Amazing Beach Front Property!!!

Plots available for building your dream home in a lush vacation paradise.

Only 666 lots left! Little to no money down! Hurry! Act Now!!

Great ocean view!! Mountains only an hour's drive away!

Unlimited parking!

You’re a doorway away from such exotic NYC entertainment as: Naked gunfights, wheelchair obstacle course, police car races, Whack-a-gangster, Bop-a-cop, and the locally famous flaming-creep subway run.

For the sportsman: minutes from an unlimited s
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2), Stephen King
The Drawing of the Three is a fantasy novel by American writer Stephen King, the second book in The Dark Tower series, published by Grant in 1987. The series was inspired by Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came by Robert Browning. The story is a continuation of The Gunslinger and follows Roland of Gilead and his quest towards the Dark Tower. The subtitle of this novel is RENEWAL.
عنوانها: انتخاب سوم؛ انتخاب سه در جادویی؛ اثر: استیون کینگ؛
Dan Schwent
Roland Deschain, fresh from the events of the Gunslinger, lies exhausted and poisoned on the shores of the ocean. In his delirium, he finds three doorways leading to our world and his new ka-tet. Will Roland survive long enough to bring his new ka-tet?

This is when the Dark Tower really started coming together. The first thing that happens really shocked the crap out of me. Damn lobstrosities! I had no idea what Roland was going to go through when I first opened this one.

The new characters are in
Markus
Without thought, with the simple resolve that had made him the last of them all, the last to continue marching on and on long after Cuthbert and the others had died or given up, committed suicide or treachery or simply recanted the whole idea of the Tower; with the single-minded and incurious resolve that had driven him across the desert and all the years before the desert in the wake of the man in black, the gunslinger stepped through the doorway.

The journey to the Dark Tower continues, and t
Adina
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
What have I just read? Is this written by the same author that put The Gunslinger on paper? It does not seem so at all. If the name of the main characters hadn’t been Roland, I wouldn’t have known that the two books are from the same series. That’s how different thee 2 books are in writing style. Notwithstanding, I’ve enjoyed both of them just as much.

The Drawing of the Three starts where the previous instalment left us, on the beach. The beginning is abrupt and unexpected with Roland having a
Mark
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fiction
OH wow I am so glad I am reviewing each volume as I go rather than the whole lot at the end. I have just finished this second in the series and I swear if the central character did not have the same name then I would hardly recognize this book as a continuation of the first.

The Gunslinger introduced us to Roland and his quest for the Dark Tower and presumably the central plot of the whole series. At the end of the Gunslinger we were left with many unanswered questions - be warned! The Drawing of
seak
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, stephen-king
"...There's going to be shooting."
"There is?"
"Yes." The gunslinger looked serenely at Eddie. "Quite a lot of it, I think."

And so begins the coolest, most intense gun fight I've ever read.

Ever since I put down The Stand 300 pages in, I thought I'd never read another Stephen King novel. You could say I was even proud of the fact. Everyone seems to love King and I'm the only one who doesn't. I'm unique... I also don't like Katy Perry.

Well, then he had to go and write The Dark Tower series. The pre
Apatt
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
“Did-a-chick? Dum-a-chum? Dad-a-cham? Ded-a-check?”

This bit of nonsense is likely to send shivers down the spine of Dark Tower fans, it is one of the most memorable scenes in the entire series which spans seven books (originally). The bizarre “questions” are constantly asked by the “lobstrosity” creatures even while they are munching on people.

The above picture—lifted from the graphic novel edition—is not quite to scale as the lobstrosity is described in The Drawing of the Three as “four feet lo
Stepheny
I’ve read the Dark Tower Series several times over the years. It is a series I hold very close to my heart, one that draws me in and whispers in my ear; begs to be read again.

So, when Calamity Bev, Rootin’ Tootin’ Pistol Packin’ Delee, Jumpin’ Jeff and Straight Shootin' Susan asked me to join them along the Path of the Beam on a most noble quest to the Dark Tower I said yes without a moment’s hesitation.

The Drawing of the Three is a book that on its own is in my list of top 10 books ever w
Justin
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Stephen King gets back to his old self and Stephen Kings all over the second book of the Dark Tower series. This one is written more in the King style we have all come to know and love. It’s much more what you would expect from picking up a King novel, but it still has that western fantasy vibe pulsing throughout its pages.

And, again, the book is pretty good. I’ve read half of the series before, I know the next two books are really good, especially Wizard and Glass. I keep saying that. I’ll pro
Will M.
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Roland continues with his quest for The Dark Tower. While he was alone at first, he decides to have some company. He decides to have a drawing of the three. Three more people to be involved in his obsessive quest for the tower. Will he compromise the lives of the chosen ones, or will he make them better? The amazing quest continues in this second installment of the series.

Once again King introduced amazing characters. Right from the start I knew I was going to like Eddie Dean. He was this drug d
Luffy
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: let-down, fantasy
Having read this book, I'm scrambling to try to compare the first two ones, and to understand why I rated this book a three, while at the same time I enjoyed reading it on a basic level. The twists in this book are no better than those in The Gunslinger.

However the world they are set in make the difference. The Gunslinger made the cut as the better of the two because its characters, I realize, are given more time to shape. Here the people in our world are not the equal of the man in the desert,
Kyle
Dec 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish

Just not my kind of book or series I guess.

I found some parts interesting but having to dig through the paragraph-long sentences that seemed to jump randomly from subject to subject just lost me.

Some people really enjoyed this book. I've had many people recommend it. I passed the 50% mark today, which is my rule before giving up on a book, and decided I simply was NOT enjoying it at all and saw no point in continuing.

I'm really disappointed because I had heard so many good things about this s

Amanda
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: Everyone at Shelf Inflicted!
Shelves: blog
"What the hell was that?!!?" basically sums up my response to The Drawing of the Three. And I mean that in the best possible way.

As I opined in my review of The Gunslinger, I have avoided The Dark Tower for so long because it's a series and usually series books serve up a formulaic reheating of what happened in previous books. I usually enjoy the first book, like the second book, and begin to get that deja vu feeling that I've read all of this before somewhere around book three. Not so with thi
Laz
I knew ever since reading the first book that this series would only get better in time. To be honest, I expected it to become really good after the 3rd or 4th book but this one really is the turn. The first one is only a small tease of what this series is and can be.

Being a big Stephen King fan, I find his mind exceedingly sharp, and his thoughts utterly cohesive, building and building and then breaking everything apart. He's extremely talented and it shows in his work.

While in the first book
R.K. Gold
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just terrific! So many perfect characters to pick from in this and the back and forth from detta to Odetta just made the experience in between worlds that much more colorful. The adventures Roland has on Earth are just, well, unreal. It was sometimes hilarious, other times straight out of a superhero movie. Reading this series has been long overdue and I'm so happy to finally have the opportunity to give it the time it deserves.
On to book 3!
Emma
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gunslinger awesomeness!! The Gunslinger blew me out of the water and this one was if possible even better! Stephen King is so good at people..I know he goes on a bit at times, but I have to tell you this book was just amazing! I used whispersync and the audio version on this was absolutely superb. Who would have thought a 'lobstrosity' could be so horrifying? Dud-a-chum? ‘Dod-a-chock? Brilliant!
If you haven't picked up The Dark Tower yet, you really need to give it a chance. Genius!
Lindsey Rey
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I love Stephen King, but this series just isn't for me! I won't be continuing on with the series.
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 2.5*
Book 2: 2.5*

The dichotomy that is this series. On the one hand I want to know how it turns out. On the other I don't think I can do another book with senseless rants, non stop nostalgic pop culture references, stereotypes ad nauseam and a storyline that meanders aimlessly.

The characters are all tough to like. Not because they have flaws but because they all have non sequitur inane ramblings that drive the reader to the brink of the craziness which drives the characters.

I simply can
Algernon
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
[7/10]

- "What's on the other side of the door for me?" Eddie asked the gunslinger quietly. "Go on and tell me. If you can tell me, maybe I'll come. But if you lie, I'll know."
- "Probably death", the gunslinger said. "But before that happens, I don't think you'll be bored. I want you to join me on a quest. Of course, all will probably end in death - death for the four of us in a strange place. But if we should win through ..." His eyes gleamed. "If we win through, Eddie, you'll see something be
Cindy Newton
Okay, I've been schooled. For lo these many years, I've prided myself on being one of the original Stephen King fans, the quintessential Constant Reader. I grew up with him, meaning that I am of an age that I read his books as he actually churned them out. I was there, hands outstretched, waiting for each eagerly anticipated tome, ready to devour it and add to my ever-growing admiration for the god of horror--except for the Dark Tower series. I can't even offer a satisfactory explanation for thi ...more
Ashley Daviau
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll probably end up saying this for each book in the series so I apologize in advance! But this series really does just get better and better with each book. Especially from the first to this one, the difference is quite stunning!

Don't get me wrong, I loved the first book in the series! But the writing is much easier to read in the second instalment and it allowed me to fly through this one much faster than the first. Although that could also be due to the fact that there is a lot more action
Nikoleta
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia, fantasy
Το κάλεσμα των τριών νομίζω ότι έχει πιο ενδιαφέρουσα πλοκή και περισσότερη αγωνία από το πρώτο μέρος της σειράς.
Επίσης νομίζω τα βρήκα αρκετά με τους ήρωες διότι κατάφερα να συμπαθήσω λίγο περισσότερο τον Ρόλαντ, όπως επίσης με εξέπληξαν ευχάριστα οι δύο καινούριους ήρωες στο βιβλίο (δεν λέω ποιοι). Ο Κινγκ τους έπλασε με ένα παρανοϊκό αλλά πολύπλοκα υπέροχο βάθος (πραγματικά δεν ξέρω πως αλλιώς θα μπορούσα να το περιγράψω).
Κάτι που ακόμη βρήκα ευχάριστο είναι ότι παρόλο που και πάλι γίνεται χ
  • The Dark Tower: Treachery
  • The Regulators
  • Everville (Book of the Art #2)
  • Mountain of Black Glass (Otherland, #3)
  • Locke & Key, Vol 2: Head Games (Locke & Key, #2)
  • Servant of the Shard (Forgotten Realms: Paths of Darkness, #3; The Sellswords, #1)
  • Night Visions 5
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • Thud! (Discworld, #34; City Watch #7)
  • Prince of Chaos (The Chronicles of Amber #10)

The Dark Tower (8 books)
  • The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
  • The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3)
  • Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)
  • The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
  • Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, #5)
  • Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Chronicles, #1)
  • 14
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying fuck at you and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing.” 325 likes
“What we like to think of ourselves and what we really are rarely have much in common....” 210 likes