Mock Newbery 2022 discussion

Wishtree
This topic is about Wishtree
Newbery 2018 > October Read - Wishtree

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 560 comments Mod
Could Wishtree be Katherine Applegate's second Newbery medal? Is it "distinguished?"

message 2: by Anna (last edited Oct 02, 2017 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna | 27 comments I wasn't as keen on the beginning, but the way she writes the animals with such human characteristics is amazing; and by the end I was very invested in the story. The whole story feels unique and I think young readers will appreciate the realism.
I wonder though, is the book likely to get overlooked a bit more than others if she recently won an award? Is that something the committee would take into consideration or do they only consider the book and not the author?

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 52 comments According to the definitions for the Newbery Award:

The term, "only the books eligible for the Award," specifies that the committee is not to consider the entire body of the work by an author or whether the author has previously won the award. The committee's decision is to be made following deliberation about books of the specified calendar year.

Tamara | 28 comments I have been a Katherine Applegate fan for a long time--my now adult son loved The Animorphs--however, this is not one of my favorites, even among her books. It's a sweet story with a good message, but I think Wishtree has been overhyped.

Czechgirl | 214 comments I loved this book. I love that Applegate wrote the story from a tree's POV. The book sort of reminded my The Giving Tree, which is a much-loved book. I think it is possible for it to get a Newbery nod. The writing is great. The message is great. There was a creative approach taken with this book.

Marcie (marcieloveskidslit) | 65 comments I loved Wishtree, but think it will face the fate of Wonder. I'm not sure it will be considered distinguished by the committee, but it will be loved by teachers and kids. For me the true test is whether the book has a power to change or reinforce children's attitudes, behaviors, asperations, and or relationships. What I loved about Wonder was that for me it encouraged kids to look beyond the physical and it's emphasis on kindness.

What I loved about Wishtree is more than the story or the message. Something about the flow of the language made me want to read it aloud. The design of the book, as with One and Only Ivan, makes it accessible to a wide group of readers. I don't usually like when the message is right there (I guess you could say didactic) but in this case it didn't bother me at all. Perhaps because it was delivered by a tree.

Readng Wishtree did want me to go back and read an old favorite, Ida B.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate | 173 comments I liked the way that Applegate incorporated the naming conventions of the different animal species. It was a fun and creative way to help the reader distinguish among the animals with such a large cast of characters. It also provides a framework for children to discuss their own names and why they are unique.

message 8: by Candice (new)

Candice Lucas | 36 comments I liked this book, but I think it's too simple to be a Newbery. She leaves out some of the heavy lifting of discovering the journal, reading it, discovering it, et. The character transformation of the landlord just happened.
I agree that teachers will like it and it would make a nice read aloud, but I don't think it's distinguished writing.

Serenity (serenity123) | 13 comments I think I have a hard time separating my emotional response to this book from an objective consideration of how distinguished it is. I read an ARC of this over the summer and absolutely fell in love. I think this book is funny (the animal names made me chuckle, repeatedly) with some sad moments here and there, as well, and I thought telling the story from the tree's perspective was pretty unique. I enjoyed this much more than Crenshaw, though maybe not as much as Ivan. Is it more distinguished than other books I've read this year? Probably not. But I agree with the previous poster who suggests that this will probably be loved by kids and teachers.

Becky | 31 comments I enjoyed this book very much and agree that this story is so needed in our communities right now. It is beautifully crafted and constructed. However, I feel that the structure of the story is quite similar in many ways to The One and Only Ivan and therefore, not original enough or distinguished, and not a Newbery contender.

Reving | 106 comments I really did love this book. But I am just not sure if it is a BIG WINNER, but an Honor for sure...https://revingsblog.blogspot.com/2017...

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa (lisa3moon) | 50 comments I read this one and loved it. I've recommended it to many since my reading and we are seeing a mixed of "Loved it!" and "It's strange, a tree?" Not sure how things will continue, but it was a wonderful book! One Junior High in our district is creating a Wishtree at their school as they keep enjoying this book!

Katrina Tangen | 18 comments I loved it! I'm new to the whole predicting the Newbery thing, so I don't have any arguments for whether it's distinguished or not at the moment. But it just made me very happy--I had a big smile on face for most of the book--and teared up at the "Stay" part. I didn't know I needed a book from a tree's POV--but I did!

message 14: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana Marlatt | 73 comments Beautiful but not distinguished. I am struggling with the words to explain how I feel about the book. Nowadays, with such discussion and division over borders and walls, I felt the book was a little bit political... an allegory about our fighting and divisiveness. I am 100% sure how I feel about it all. If I was reading this book 10 years ago, I am sure I would have felt differently.

Caren (carenb) | 34 comments Huge fan of this book, but again, I never trust the motives and choices from any committee. They just aren't with the kids.
I actually sat through a discussion with one of the members on the committee last year, and he made a dig at "The One and Only Ivan". He commented that we chose a superior book, nothing like the one about a gorilla and elephant!
Guess what, dude? I have 5 copies in my library and they are constantly checked out. It appeals to kids.
I haven't gotten one single student to check out last years, though I made a flyer on it etc..
None of the "chosen" books from last year are doing well.

message 16: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna | 27 comments The committee chooses books based upon literary merit as determined by adults. Imagine what different books might win if there were kids sitting in on the committee meetings.

Shari | 84 comments Applegate has done it again. Timely book. Loved it, but I don't see it taking the Newbery.

message 18: by Barb (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barb | 35 comments Wishtree is a sweet tale for young readers, whimsical with an endearing message of friendship and hope. Creatively written from the vantage point of a gentle tree, I think readers will be captivated by this fresh perspective on the world around us, and human and animal friends in particular. While enjoyable to read, I felt it's a bit predictable (and perhaps, for that reason) not quite tops on my list for anticipating a Newbery.

message 19: by Alyx (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alyx Campbell | 12 comments I loved this one so much. Perfect for everyone.

Suzanne | 14 comments I loved Wishtree. After reading it myself, I turned around and read it aloud to my fourth-grade son. He also loved it... though he demanded that I not cry at the "stay" part. I don't know whether the committee will think it's distinguished; however, I think kids will love it. It's between this and The War I Finally Won as my favorite so far this year.

Stephanie Sapp | 50 comments Wonderful story but not distinguished. Loved the animal naming explanations.

Mary HD (marymaclan) | 96 comments I found this didactic to a fault.

The talking trees and animals didn't really work. Too often I wondered just how a bird or animal would have such specific informed opinions (and vocabulary!) about human activities.

Overall, a heavy-handed presentation of the need for tolerance.

Celeste (celeste_bocchicchio) | 8 comments I finally had a chance to read Wishtree! I enjoyed it, but I also felt like if having the word "leave" carved into their bark is the worst thing Red has seen in two hundred years, then they must live in the most tolerant community in the United States.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wishtree (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Katherine Applegate (other topics)