Start by marking “Wishtree” as Want to Read:
Wishtree

Wishtree

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  13,310 ratings  ·  2,690 reviews
Trees can't tell jokes, but they can certainly tell stories. . . .

Red is an oak tree who is many rings old. Red is the neighborhood "wishtree"—people write their wishes on pieces of cloth and tie them to Red's branches. Along with her crow friend Bongo and other animals who seek refuge in Red's hollows, this "wishtree" watches over the neighborhood.

You might say Red has se
Published September 26th 2017 by Feiwel & Friends

·  13,310 ratings  ·  2,690 reviews

Hannah Greendale
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing

A beautiful story and a poignant metaphor.

Animals compete for resources, just like humans.
They eat one another. They fight for dominance.
Nature is not always pretty or fair or kind.
But sometimes surprises happen. And Samar, every spring night, reminded me there is beauty in stillness and grace in acceptance.
Lola
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, animals
I cannot wait to give my copy of this book to a kid in need of a wonderful read.

It is absolutely beautiful. It’s poetic without being pretentious and narrated by a tree older than any existing human. And yet, this tree is more humane than anyone I know.

The tree is an observer. It philosophizes about life and shares his thoughts with his (not always) delightful animal tenants. It doesn’t act, because it cannot move like a human can.

But the tree feels compelled to do something, or ‘‘say’’ someth
Michelle
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With Red, Katherine Applegate introduces another quiet, resilient protagonist who -- like the caged gorilla in “The One and Only Ivan,” -- speaks movingly to a noisy, belligerent world. Red is a caring oak who describes her life as a leafy shelter for generations of animals, and as a wishtree for humans. It’s easy to suspend disbelief with her wise voice, active mind and caring soul. She knows well the habits of creatures in her world and treats readers to an insightful analysis -- though the ha ...more
Kate Olson
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ALL THE STARS!!! This is THE middle grade book of fall 2017 and it should be on the pre-order list for every single library and middle grade classroom in the country. While it may be listed as for ages 10-14, I would read this book aloud as far down as first grade.

WISHTREE is at first glance a middle grade novel about a tree and animals, but WISHTREE is also, and more importantly, a message book.

It uses the medium of a beautiful middle grade story to spread a message about wishes and inclusion
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
Five enthusiastic stars for this sweet, beautiful, heartwarming story. It’s charming, and funny, and big-hearted, and touching, and imparts a lovely (and timely) message without it being saccharine or manipulative. I loved every page.
Julie
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wishtree is like an iceberg- small on the surface but immensely powerful underneath. This is another quietly powerful book by adored author Katherine Applegate.
Ivonne Rovira
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
Katherine Applegate’s The One and Only Ivan is one of the finest books I’ve ever read. Not one of the finest children’s book. Not one of the finest illustrated book — although the drawings are breathtaking. No, one of the finest books, period. I have harangued countless adults to please, please give Ivan a chance!

So it pains me to say that Wishtree is no The One and Only Ivan. Yes, as is in Applegate’s 2013 Newbery Medal winner, Wishtree has an important message: We should accept people even if
Donalyn
Beautiful story about family and community.
Bmquiram
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wishtree by Katherine Applegate is a great story.
It reminded me of the old sayings 'If walls could talk' and ' I'd like to be a fly on their ceiling'.
I won't write a synopsis because there is already one on the book and there is always plenty of reviews with summaries available. I'll just jump right to what the writing style is like.
This story is very well written. There are interesting facts sprinkled within the text but it doesn't read like a educational book. The facts are stated in a mann
Mary Ann
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3rd, 4th, 5th
Beautiful, unique, touching. But most of all, real . It's just what I needed to read today, this week, this year.
Rereading and loving Red's voice. Wise and gentle. When bad things happen, he's learned you have to "stand tall and reach deep"
Amina
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a story about how to be human, even if it's narrated by a tree who's more human than some people walking this earth.
Red is a 216 years old oak tree, Red is also a wish tree. Every year on the 1st of May, people come to hang their wishes on her branches.
When Samar and her muslim family move in Red's neighbourhood, some people aren't pleased and they make the new comers know they aren't welcome. But Red and her inhabitants aren't willing to let that pass without a fight.
Friendship, humanit
Kelli
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This gem of middle grade fiction was part of my daughter’s summer reading. How can you not love a story narrated by a wise, old tree who has seen so much in all his years? This story was fun and funny, with a myriad of hysterically-named animal characters, but it was also surprisingly moving and relevant, doling out larger lessons about hope and acceptance. Precious. 4.5 stars
Michele Knott
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Powerful, powerful book.
This book needs to be read by every child, every where.
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I almost missed out on this beautiful book. My stack of library books had grown a bit out of control and when I say “a bit” I mean like taking over the living room. Soooo... I *sighed*, bowed my head in defeat, and accepted that many of the books had to go back unread. BUT at the last minute I snagged this little gem off the top of the “return” pile to read. And I am so happy I did!

A giant wishtree named Red guides us through this sweet story. Every year in May, people come from all over to whis
Margitte
This is such a fun read for primary school kids - perhaps 10 to 12 years old?

For an older reader it might be too obvious a preachy, a moral lesson in tolerance, too obviously so.
I nevertheless loved the humor and positive vibe in the book, especially if you want to learn from a young age how to become a political activist.

I am a serious tree hugger myself, so this book was spot on.
juan carlos
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
En verdad estoy anonadado, Esta mujer lo volvió a hacer. De mis mejores lecturas de este año.
¿Para qué leer el árbol de los deseos?
1. Por la intensidad de los personajes, al ser narrado por ROJO un árbol, esta escritora logra que te sientas parte de la naturaleza, en verdad te sientes un árbol.
2. Te explica perfectamente el poder de la amistad, la fuerza de la unidad y la verdadera magia de la familia.
3. Maneja muy bien la fuerza dolorosa de la palabra FUERA Y QUEDATE.
4. Maneja de forma poét
Bel
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wishtree is the sort of book that is a lovely easy read, with memorable characters and a great plot, that you think about once you’ve finished it. I find myself mulling over it continuously , grateful to have read it.

It is filled with wonderful lines (“It is a great gift indeed to love who you are”) and wonderful worldly wisdom, dispensed by Red, a tree with over 200 rings, a tree who is home to many critters, a tree who cares.

I loved this book.
Ann
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a former school librarian i must say that this book should be shared in every classroom throughout this country of ours. Applegate has created a a true gem with a special message that needs to be heard.
Krista Regester
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a quick inspirational piece from a different perspective. The way that Katherine Applegate captures nature is incredible.
Freckles
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1i-own, 1middle-grade
- Smrdíš jako skunk!
- Já jsem skunk.

Vážně potřebujete další důvod, proč si to přečíst? Je to skvělý! Dozvíte se třeba to, podle čeho si vybírají jména mývalí a skunkové a stromy (kromě jedné palmy rebelky v Kalifornii - a tam je možné všechno) a taky to, že stromy ve skutečnosti mluví. A taky že kvůli nim můžete brečet. Krásný ❤
Jessica
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely story about a tree that watches over a neighborhood, and holds the wishes of the community in her branches. But when a very special child makes a wish, the tree decides to actually reach out and make that wish happen. Charming and timely.
Ellie Terry
Short. Sweet. And oh, so important.
Mary Lee
Right story at the right time. Pair with COME WITH ME.
Richard Denney
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a beautiful and moving book. I really enjoyed the story and the fact that it was from the POV of a tree, I've never read anything like that before. I read it with the audiobook via my library and think everyone should pick this one up. It's only 2 hours long but it's such a good book. - Richard
Ann
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Before I get into this very long review, I do want to state that I didn't hate the book. It's very nice, and I think would be a decent read aloud. But I keep seeing it bandied about as a possible Newbery contender, for many people the top choice, and that brings out the hyper critical in me.

I found this book to be insufferably twee. It also grated on my nerves that every single non-human character was highly anthropomorphized, but were supposedly living in the real world. I'm perfectly happy to
Krissy
Vivek Tejuja
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You need to read books for children. I think that because sometimes profundity and really how to live life is simply told in all the chaos of adult literature, only in children’s books. Whether it is, “The Giving Tree” or it is lessons learned from, “Charlotte’s Web”, books written for children are in fact meant for adults, because we need to learn how to be empathetic and compassionate, so we can pass it to kids. “Wishtree” is the third book I read by Katherine Applegate and as usual I finished ...more
Skip
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Better than One and Only Ivan and Crenshaw, Applegate's newest novel is narrated by a 216-ring red oak tree, named Red, where people leave their wishes. A new Muslim family moves into the neighborhood, and a young, shy girl named Samar is lonely, spending time each evening with the local wild animals who live in the tree or nearby. Samar wishes for a friend, and Red decides to get involved, especially after someone carves "Leave" on the tree. Just as things take a turn for the better, Red is thr ...more
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wishtree is the story of Red, an optimistic oak tree who is home to many wild creatures living in harmony in her branches and hollows. Every year, the residents who live nearby come to tie their wishes onto Red's branches in hopes that they will come true. One wish in particular comes from Samar, a young Muslim girl whose family is the target of a hateful act from one of their neighbors. Samar wishes for a friend, and Red, being the optimist she is, wants to do everything she can to grant this l ...more
Susana

"Trees can't tell jokes.
But we can certainly tell stories.
And if all you hear is the whisper of leaves, don’t worry. Most trees are introverts at heart.

This was all kinds of wonderful. A sweet and engaging story_ featuring a very charming Oak and his friends _ that will surely appeal to most readers.
The Bee's Bookshelf: Wishtree (July 2018) 1 10 Jul 05, 2018 07:55AM
Children's Books: Fiction Club - Jan '18 - Wishtree by Katherine Applegate 14 90 Jan 29, 2018 02:09PM
Around the Year i...: Wishtree, by Katherine Applegate 9 19 Jan 26, 2018 07:49AM
Mock Newbery 2019: October Read - Wishtree 23 189 Jan 09, 2018 11:25AM
  • The First Rule of Punk
  • Front Desk
  • Garvey's Choice
  • Bob
  • The Journey of Little Charlie (National Book Award Finalist)
  • The Adventures of a Girl Called Bicycle
Katherine Applegate is the author of The One and Only Ivan, winner of the 2013 Newbery Medal. Her novel Crenshaw spent over twenty weeks on the New York Times children's bestseller list, and her first middle-grade stand-alone novel, the award-winning Home of the Brave, continues to be included on state reading lists, summer reading lists, and class reading lists.

Katherine has written three picture
“Different languages, different food, different customs. That's our neighborhood: wild and tangled and colorful. Like the best kind of garden.” 25 likes
“It is a great gift indeed to love who you are.” 8 likes