Start by marking “Wishtree” as Want to Read:
Wishtree

Wishtree

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  27,604 ratings  ·  4,644 reviews
Trees can't tell jokes, but they can certainly tell stories. . . .

Red is an oak tree who is many rings old. Red is the neighborhood "wishtree"—people write their wishes on pieces of cloth and tie them to Red's branches. Along with her crow friend Bongo and other animals who seek refuge in Red's hollows, this "wishtree" watches over the neighborhood.

You might say Red has se
Published September 26th 2017 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Wishtree, please sign up.
Amy Clay-Moore Katherine Applegate shared on Twitter that the differences are that the adult version has a different cover and is paperback.
Jaiden The only colors are black and white
…more
The only colors are black and white
(less)

·  27,604 ratings  ·  4,644 reviews

Start your review of Wishtree
Hannah Greendale
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing

A beautiful story and a poignant metaphor.

Animals compete for resources, just like humans.
They eat one another. They fight for dominance.
Nature is not always pretty or fair or kind.
But sometimes surprises happen. And Samar, every spring night, reminded me there is beauty in stillness and grace in acceptance.
Michelle
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With Red, Katherine Applegate introduces another quiet, resilient protagonist who -- like the caged gorilla in “The One and Only Ivan,” -- speaks movingly to a noisy, belligerent world. Red is a caring oak who describes her life as a leafy shelter for generations of animals, and as a wishtree for humans. It’s easy to suspend disbelief with her wise voice, active mind and caring soul. She knows well the habits of creatures in her world and treats readers to an insightful analysis -- though the ha ...more
Kate Olson
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ALL THE STARS!!! This is THE middle grade book of fall 2017 and it should be on the pre-order list for every single library and middle grade classroom in the country. While it may be listed as for ages 10-14, I would read this book aloud as far down as first grade.

WISHTREE is at first glance a middle grade novel about a tree and animals, but WISHTREE is also, and more importantly, a message book.

It uses the medium of a beautiful middle grade story to spread a message about wishes and inclusion
Debbie
Apr 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Debbie by: Jennifer, my teacher colleague
"Red", a 216-ring oak tree, lives in an old neighborhood with various lovable creatures who make their homes in or around her. Once a year, Red becomes "the wishtree" when people print their wishes onto scraps of cloth, pieces of paper, even underwear, and tie these objects onto her branches. Red has seen many things in her long life, and even though she loves people, sometimes their thoughts and actions confuse her.

This story about friendship, prejudice, loyalty and acceptance makes a lovely re
Reading_ Tamishly
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a beautiful heartwarming story 😭

The tears came spilling down because of all the warmth and so much hope this little story gave me.

I mean I am so grateful to the only Booktuber in the world who read this book to her three kids recently and she told us she was bawling in front of them while reading out this story.

I got the book and started reading it.

And yes, I got more than what I expected! No, not the crying part. But how unique the story and the characters are in this children's
Julie
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wishtree is like an iceberg- small on the surface but immensely powerful underneath. This is another quietly powerful book by adored author Katherine Applegate.
Ivonne Rovira
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
Katherine Applegate’s The One and Only Ivan is one of the finest books I’ve ever read. Not one of the finest children’s book. Not one of the finest illustrated book — although the drawings are breathtaking. No, one of the finest books, period. I have harangued countless adults to please, please give Ivan a chance!

So it pains me to say that Wishtree is no The One and Only Ivan. Yes, as is in Applegate’s 2013 Newbery Medal winner, Wishtree has an important message: We should accept people even if
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
Five enthusiastic stars for this sweet, beautiful, heartwarming story. It’s charming, and funny, and big-hearted, and touching, and imparts a lovely (and timely) message without it being saccharine or manipulative. I loved every page.
Mary Ann
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4th, 5th, 3rd
Beautiful, unique, touching. But most of all, real . It's just what I needed to read today, this week, this year.
Rereading and loving Red's voice. Wise and gentle. When bad things happen, he's learned you have to "stand tall and reach deep"
Calista
Delightful! I love that our protagonist is a tree and we see the world through the eyes of this still giant. I loved Katherine's descriptions of leaves and branches moving in the wind and the interplay of animals. Trees, our planets memories. They are also the planets lungs. They help to cool us down and bring beauty to us.

So yes, I love the tree at the center of the story. The tree watches the lives of those around it, animals and humans. We meet many of the animals. The story really revolves
Donalyn
Beautiful story about family and community.
Bmquiram
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wishtree by Katherine Applegate is a great story.
It reminded me of the old sayings 'If walls could talk' and ' I'd like to be a fly on their ceiling'.
I won't write a synopsis because there is already one on the book and there is always plenty of reviews with summaries available. I'll just jump right to what the writing style is like.
This story is very well written. There are interesting facts sprinkled within the text but it doesn't read like a educational book. The facts are stated in a mann
Manybooks
Now while I and indeed do very much appreciate the important and necessary messages of inclusivity presented in Katherine Applegate's Wishtreee and very much agree that fighting against ethnic and cultural bigotry is important, I also and nevertheless cannot say that I have personally all that much enjoyed Wishtree as a reading experience in and of itself.

For one, although the admonishments against ethnic stereotyping and cultural anger as well as the strong coming together of especially the ne
Kelli
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This gem of middle grade fiction was part of my daughter’s summer reading. How can you not love a story narrated by a wise, old tree who has seen so much in all his years? This story was fun and funny, with a myriad of hysterically-named animal characters, but it was also surprisingly moving and relevant, doling out larger lessons about hope and acceptance. Precious. 4.5 stars
Ann
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Before I get into this very long review, I do want to state that I didn't hate the book. It's very nice, and I think would be a decent read aloud. But I keep seeing it bandied about as a possible Newbery contender, for many people the top choice, and that brings out the hyper critical in me.

I found this book to be insufferably twee. It also grated on my nerves that every single non-human character was highly anthropomorphized, but were supposedly living in the real world. I'm perfectly happy to
Lucy
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, 2021
This is a book about friendship and has a great message of tolerance and acceptance.

The story is told from the POV of Red (a talking oak tree). Together with its friend Bongo (a crow) and various animals who live on the tree, Red tells an engaging and touching story. The chapters are short and the dialogue between Red and the animals is funny and entertaining.

I think this would be great as a read-aloud for middle grade, because the story will appeal to many and contains various points for discus
Amina
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a story about how to be human, even if it's narrated by a tree who's more human than some people walking this earth.
Red is a 216 years old oak tree, Red is also a wish tree. Every year on the 1st of May, people come to hang their wishes on her branches.
When Samar and her muslim family move in Red's neighbourhood, some people aren't pleased and they make the new comers know they aren't welcome. But Red and her inhabitants aren't willing to let that pass without a fight.
Friendship, humanit
Michele Knott
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Powerful, powerful book.
This book needs to be read by every child, every where.
Margitte
This is such a fun read for primary school kids - perhaps 10 to 12 years old?

For an older reader it might be too obvious a preachy, a moral lesson in tolerance, too obviously so.
I nevertheless loved the humor and positive vibe in the book, especially if you want to learn from a young age how to become a political activist.

I am a serious tree hugger myself, so this book was spot on.
Jessica
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely story about a tree that watches over a neighborhood, and holds the wishes of the community in her branches. But when a very special child makes a wish, the tree decides to actually reach out and make that wish happen. Charming and timely.
Ann
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a former school librarian i must say that this book should be shared in every classroom throughout this country of ours. Applegate has created a a true gem with a special message that needs to be heard.
Ellie Terry
Short. Sweet. And oh, so important.
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I almost missed out on this beautiful book. My stack of library books had grown a bit out of control and when I say “a bit” I mean like taking over the living room. Soooo... I *sighed*, bowed my head in defeat, and accepted that many of the books had to go back unread. BUT at the last minute I snagged this little gem off the top of the “return” pile to read. And I am so happy I did!

A giant wishtree named Red guides us through this sweet story. Every year in May, people come from all over to whis
Bel
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wishtree is the sort of book that is a lovely easy read, with memorable characters and a great plot, that you think about once you’ve finished it. I find myself mulling over it continuously , grateful to have read it.

It is filled with wonderful lines (“It is a great gift indeed to love who you are”) and wonderful worldly wisdom, dispensed by Red, a tree with over 200 rings, a tree who is home to many critters, a tree who cares.

I loved this book.
Krista Regester
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a quick inspirational piece from a different perspective. The way that Katherine Applegate captures nature is incredible.
✦BookishlyRichie✦
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a beautiful and moving book. I really enjoyed the story and the fact that it was from the POV of a tree, I've never read anything like that before. I read it with the audiobook via my library and think everyone should pick this one up. It's only 2 hours long but it's such a good book. - Richard ...more
Mary Lee
Right story at the right time. Pair with COME WITH ME.
debra
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3*ish The moral lessons this story delivers are all important! I was not, however, in love with the delivery. The story often seemed too simplistic, slow, and boring for the intended age group. Some of the vocabulary-e.g. "suitor" sounded somewhat off as well. The conversations of the humans, both adults and kids, were primer-like. It has been a while since I have had a lot of contact with 8-12-year old children, but I can't imagine a child of that age reading this and sticking with it. I though ...more
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wishtree is the story of Red, an optimistic oak tree who is home to many wild creatures living in harmony in her branches and hollows. Every year, the residents who live nearby come to tie their wishes onto Red's branches in hopes that they will come true. One wish in particular comes from Samar, a young Muslim girl whose family is the target of a hateful act from one of their neighbors. Samar wishes for a friend, and Red, being the optimist she is, wants to do everything she can to grant this l ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Wishtree cover 5 15 Aug 09, 2021 09:19AM
Jami Mason's Review #5 1 8 Sep 26, 2019 08:46AM

• Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus
  • Wish
  • Hello, Universe
  • Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • Fish in a Tree
  • Restart
  • Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures
  • The Wild Robot (The Wild Robot, #1)
  • The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl
  • The War That Saved My Life (The War That Saved My Life, #1)
  • Save Me a Seat
  • Beyond the Bright Sea
  • The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise
  • Saving Winslow
  • Bob
  • The War I Finally Won (The War That Saved My Life, #2)
  • A Boy Called Bat (A Boy Called Bat, #1)
  • Other Words for Home
See top shelves…
Katherine Applegate is the author of The One and Only Ivan, winner of the 2013 Newbery Medal. Her novel Crenshaw spent over twenty weeks on the New York Times children's bestseller list, and her first middle-grade stand-alone novel, the award-winning Home of the Brave, continues to be included on state reading lists, summer reading lists, and class reading lists.

Katherine has written three picture