The Filipino Group discussion

A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)
This topic is about A Dog's Purpose
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [F2F Book Discussions] F2F70: October 2017 [Pets] | A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elaine (last edited Oct 17, 2017 07:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Welcome dogs, cats and animal lovers!
I'm Elaine and I will be your moderator for October. I'd be very happy to read and discuss with you A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron, a heartwarming story about a dog's life and his search for his purpose.

Reading Plan
The book is 320 pages long, so there's no need to worry because it's an easy read and won't be taking too much of your time. Hehehe

Week 1: Chapter 1-4, Toby
Week 2: Chapter 5-17, Bailey
Week 3: Chapter 18-25, Ellie and Chapter 26-32, Buddy

Grab your e-copies here:
(view spoiler)
I'll be posting Discussion Questions on Wednesdays so I hope you can drop by and say hi.

F2F Event Details:
Date: October 21
Time: 3 - 5pm
Venue: High Grounds Cafe, Sct. Rallos, Tomas Morato, QC

Maria (mariasm) | 2441 comments Elaine, may iyakan bang magaganap pag binasa ko ung book? Hahaha

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Maria wrote: "Elaine, may iyakan bang magaganap pag binasa ko ung book? Hahaha"

Uhmmm, sa akin may iyakan. Hahaha.

message 4: by Elaine (last edited Oct 03, 2017 08:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Happy Hump Day everyone! I hope you have already started reading the book. I promise to ask easy questions only. Hahaha

Discussion Questions 1
1. If you were a dog, what breed of dog would you like to be and why? If you have a hard time deciding, you can take a quiz here and see for yourself.

2. Toby and some of the dogs from the Yard are eventually euthanized because they are deemed unfit for adoption. Do you think it's justifiable to euthanize dogs/animals just because they are disabled or considered unhealthy?

Here is a little something: (view spoiler)

3. Senora said, "There are no bad dogs, Bobby, just bad people. They just need love." Do you believe that dogs behave the way they are because of how people treat them and not because of their inborn nature? (view spoiler)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments It's Wednesday! Dropping by to say hi! Hehehe! Haven't started the book yet, Elaine. Will do soon.

message 6: by Diane (new) - added it

Diane Soriano (akoosibackpack) | 2 comments I think I'll start reading this. I just finished speak by Laurie Halse Anderson and I don't know what to read next :)

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Meliza wrote: "It's Wednesday! Dropping by to say hi! Hehehe! Haven't started the book yet, Elaine. Will do soon."

Hahaha. Akala ko pa naman excited ka magbasa. :P

message 8: by Elaine (last edited Oct 03, 2017 10:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Diane wrote: "I think I'll start reading this. I just finished speak by Laurie Halse Anderson and I don't know what to read next :)"

Hi Diane! I do hope you could read and join us in the discussion. :)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Elaine wrote: "Meliza wrote: "It's Wednesday! Dropping by to say hi! Hehehe! Haven't started the book yet, Elaine. Will do soon."

Hahaha. Akala ko pa naman excited ka magbasa. :P"

I started another book nung hindi mo ko agad binigyan. :P Sorry naaa.

message 10: by Tin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments Discussion Questions 1 (view spoiler)

message 11: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments Discussion Questions 1

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Elaine (last edited Oct 10, 2017 07:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Tin wrote:
(view spoiler)

I'd love to be a corgi too! I find their butts cute when they walk. Hehehe

Aaron Vincent wrote:
(view spoiler)

Definitely agree on that. No violent reactions here. :P

My quiz results say I'm a Scottish Terrier
When it comes to sniffing out the rats, you're the one for the job! You can usually tell the truth from a lie and have a good sense of who you can trust in life. You are kind of a loner, too. You don't feel people are necessary to be happy.

Uhmmm... I don't know how true this is for me. (T_T)

message 13: by Elaine (last edited Oct 10, 2017 07:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments It's Wednesday!! How are you guys holding up with the reading? I hope you're liking it so far. :)

Discussion Questions 2

1. Share us a memory about your first pet. What kind of animal was it? In the event that you unfortunately never had a pet, what kind of animal would you like to have and why? (you may post photos if you like)

2. Does losing a pet equate to the feeling of losing a human loved one?

3. Bailey constantly wishes to be a “good dog”, do you think dogs or any animal wishes to be that? Do they have an understanding of good and bad?

message 14: by Angus (last edited Oct 15, 2017 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Discussion Qs 1:
(view spoiler)

Discussion Qs 2:
(view spoiler)

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Angus wrote: "Discussion Qs 1:

(view spoiler)

I also never had my own pet just family pets too, but the ones I was very fond of were the dogs I named. So far, I named 2 dogs Minnie. Hehehe. But I'm pretty sure I won't be baptizing the next one Minnie.

message 16: by Tin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments Discussion Questions 2
(view spoiler)

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Tin wrote: "Discussion Questions 2

1. Also not technically “my” pet, but the family pet, a German Shepherd and mutt mix. We named her Lassie, because we were so fond of the 90s TV show Lassie, (about a famil..."

I guess most of us here technically do not have our own pets but collective family pets. Hehe. But we all love them just the same.

I saw Kingsman too but my heart is for Jack Bauer the pug. Hihihi. I would looovvee to have one. I know most people find pugs ugly but I really think they're cute. :P

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Happy mid-week! Here is the final set of Discussion Questions for A Dog's Purpose. I hope you enjoyed reading it.

Discussion Questions 3

1. What are your thoughts about working animals (e.g. police dogs, farm animals, etc.)? Do you consider it as animal abuse?

2. Which of the dog's lives resonated most with you? Why?

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Answers :)

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Mawi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mawi | 145 comments Discussion Questions 1
(view spoiler)

Discussion Questions 2
(view spoiler)

Discussion Questions 3
(view spoiler)

message 21: by Tin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments Discussion Questions 3:
(view spoiler)

Elaine: (view spoiler)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.