Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Buddy Read Trackers > Murphy's Buddy Reading Maybes... Like Almost Definitely

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (last edited May 01, 2018 10:24AM) (new)

message 2: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7417 comments Mod
It's amazing how busy April is considering its half a year away! I need to make one of these again.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments I did this because I have 200 books on the shelves behind me that need to be read... I think I'd like to do some of them as a buddy read if people are interested so I needed to keep track of what I was reading & when so I can also do my own selection of books that don't involve people from the group. I know that I've signed on for some mammoth reads so the last thing that I need is to keep buying and reading books that I just don't have time for because then I miss out on the buddy reads that are scheduled by the group -- Even if they are on the TBR list.

message 4: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

That makes sense. Especially since the group is planning farther out than ever before.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "That makes sense. Especially since the group is planning farther out than ever before."

I decided to average it to pages per day since it doesn't really matter the book size, I have a general idea of how many I can read per day. Anne has all of GRRM's series on audio book...I might save myself some time and listen to that series, then maybe read it later. This should help me figure out if I can read new stuff or not. I really don't want to over book myself because I have other books that I've bought to read on my own as well.

message 6: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

That'll help, for sure. I'm maxed out until next July lol. I decided I'm not allowed to join a new read unless it was on my list anyway.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "That'll help, for sure. I'm maxed out until next July lol. I decided I'm not allowed to join a new read unless it was on my list anyway."

Speaking of which, I heard that you dropped Peter V. Brett? Is that true?

message 8: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Yes, mostly because it's not one I value enough to pay for, but my library doesn't have a copy of the third book in audio. The longer I'm away from it, the more dissatisfied i become with the second book. If the library ever acquires a copy (they just got Dragonbone chair, so I know they're buying a lot!) then I'll reconsider pulling it out of abandonment.

message 9: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

If you make it too book 3 and we have time, I'll still read it, though. :)

message 10: by Anne-Marie (new)

Anne-Marie | 48 comments Knowing our house, I call shenanigans on February, but hey, we'll see.

message 11: by Anne-Marie (new)

Anne-Marie | 48 comments I can't live in a tight schedule like that, it would drive me nuts to feel forced to read a certain book at a given time but i admire your dedication love.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Anne-Marie wrote: "I can't live in a tight schedule like that, it would drive me nuts to feel forced to read a certain book at a given time but i admire your dedication love."

Thanks, it just means more solo time for you with the kids! 😉

message 13: by Chris (last edited Oct 16, 2017 09:57PM) (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "If you make it too book 3 and we have time, I'll still read it, though. :)"

You had to go and add another book that I want to read into February, eh!? I'll put it in but some decisions are going to have to be made, or I'm going to have to move into the library!

message 14: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Lol, I'm always happy to help. ;)

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments I'm doing a REALLY terrible job at reading Pillars right now... I'm just in the mood for zombies and vampires and horror books, so a bad buddy read showing for me. But I've started reading The Blade Itself and I'm really enjoying it! I know that it's early but I've got 4 books next month, so this one needs to get done!

message 16: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Chris wrote: "I'm doing a REALLY terrible job at reading Pillars right now... I'm just in the mood for zombies and vampires and horror books, so a bad buddy read showing for me. But I've started reading [book:Th..."

I don't blame you starting early when you've got one planned for 1st Nov! I'm on Something Wicked This Way Comes now so might be a day late starting The Blade Itself.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments It's really good so far and all the author is doing is setting the plot and showing character personalities. I think that is going to be a great read! I'm already loving the bad guy too!

message 18: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Chris wrote: "It's really good so far and all the author is doing is setting the plot and showing character personalities. I think that is going to be a great read! I'm already loving the bad guy too!"

I can't wait to get started! :D

message 19: by Chris (last edited Nov 13, 2017 08:45AM) (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Alright status updates!

The Pillars of the Earth -->DNF, but only because of lack of interest from the group, it kinda seemed to fall off the priority list. I was enjoying it and I'll continue it later.

The Blade Itself -->I REALLY enjoyed this read, I understood and really felt all of the characters and I found that each was strong in his own way, even Jazal, which most seemed to dislike. The ending didn't get me the way it got others, to me it's the kind of ending that would be better on the big screen that in a book.
4 ☆s

Age of Assassins --> Mixed emotions on this one. At times the writer had me hooked with great descriptive paragraphs, but then he'd lose me with sentences that didn't make sense and a few obvious typos. I also didn't understand the named stances... It would be okay if they were from a known martial art that I could research, but when they're from the writers imagination, it just made it difficult to imagine the action sequences, in an assassin novel with a lot of fights. Good mystery novel though, and it kept you waiting until the last few pages before the big reveal. And leading up to that point was high octane suspense/action as everything just happened over 100+ pages.
3☆s

Now onto Thief's Magic with a brief stop over in Ready Player One that I borrowed from a buddy of mine!

message 20: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Great update! You seem to be doing a great job reading all the good ones haha

message 21: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Great update chris hope you like ready player one and hopefully the film will be good

I was tempted to join pillars of the earth as well but it was a bit big and I think you really need to be in the mood for that stuff it was the same for way of kings for me

Other than that great work

message 22: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
I'm still planning to read Pillars of the Earth Chris, I just over committed to buddy reads. I'm planning to look at reading it in December and will comment in the thread.

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments I think I've only got 3 books in December so i might start it up again as well.

message 24: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Nov 13, 2017 12:18PM) (new)

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
Awesome. I'm travelling in the USA that month, but will still try and comment :-). I plan to do a lot of reading on plane flights.

message 25: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Well I've decided to skip Game of Thrones for now. It's going to be my first audiobook, so I'll probably tackle it closer to Christmas. I'm not read to jump into Lies of Locke Lamora yet, I'm going to read Spartan Gold, The Bear and the Nightingale, The Last Colony first, but, I'd still like to start The Emperor's Blades on time! I'm sure there'll be more adjustments to come!

message 26: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments The bear and the Nightingale is a great pick for this season, I liked its cold and eerie atmosphere :)

Have fun with all these books!

message 27: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments That's a shame surprisingly not many talkers on the GOT thread but we'll see but I'll be interested to see what you think about emporers blade I read a hundred pages before stopping not the right mood to read it then but I'll be interested to see what the BR think about the world the characters and the.......birds

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments See, the thing is Ahdam that I've previously read a large portion of GoT before, so I know exactly what I'm getting into. It's just not what I'm feeling right now. So I'm kind of side stepping the back stabbing, lying, murdering and substituting it with adventure, intrigue, comical, fairytale-esq kinda stories. I've been waiting a long time for Emperor's Blades so I'm definitely doing that, and I'm definitely going to read Margret's nomination of the month, Dragons of Autumn Twilight. After that we'll see!

message 29: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments good to know I'm in safe hands then by the time I finish the book I'll be emotionally destroyed and unable to continue afterwards haha but yeah I get that to I had it with dragon reborn and I still need to find time to get to it soon

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments I don't know about emotionally destroyed, but near the half way point GRRM has a way of finishing his chapters with, "HOLY CRAP, SERIOUSLY!? Did that just happen? I didn't expect that... (flips pages back expecting something to say, this is where i warned you! )

message 31: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Ok so I've decided that I'm borderline psychotic to think that I could read 5 to 6 buddy reads a month... I'm now going to whittle down my list to only books that I can and REALLY want to read. I have 3 bookshelves in my house with 200+ books on them. With the books that I read last year, I've probably got 10+ series on the go. I'm drowning in reading material, and it's not fun anymore. Soooo, here goes nothing!

message 32: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Yeah I might need to do that as well for some of my reads especially January which I definitely overbooked

Also got your mail but I think I want to read Siege: To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 around the 10th April since most of your books aren't very long the malazen book is only 100 pages so we could squeeze it in

For To Green Angel Tower, Part 2 we can do the 10th May that way we can recover from part 1 you think you can do those dates?

message 33: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Ahdam wrote: "Yeah I might need to do that as well for some of my reads especially January which I definitely overbooked

Also got your mail but I think I want to read [book:Siege: To Green Angel Tower, Part 1|1..."

Sounds good buddy!

message 34: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Good whittling! It's definitely not worth it when it stops being fun.

message 35: by Chris (last edited Jan 29, 2018 09:53PM) (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Good whittling! It's definitely not worth it when it stops being fun."

Well my friend, life's kicking my ass, so it's time for a new strategy! Bring on the lighter reads. Out with Malazan for now because I can't dedicate enough time to it....

I think my reading order is going to be:

Empire of Night
Nevernight
Boneshaker
Arrowood

With The King Beyond the Gate on the 20th... I'll try, probably not going to happen, but we'll see...

message 36: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Alright, back to the drawing board... With dynamite in hand...

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Keeping my buddy read schedule has been hard lately so I think I'm going to start calling it my buddy read hopefuls!

message 38: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2600 comments Chris wrote: "Keeping my buddy read schedule has been hard lately so I think I'm going to start calling it my buddy read hopefuls!"

Haha I think that'd an acurate name for a lot of people in this groups trackers. Mine included!!