EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
This topic is about The Fellowship of the Ring
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
[ARCHIVES] BOTM SUGGESTIONS > BOTM Suggestions Dec '17 - Classics (1969 and before)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kaseadillla | 1352 comments Mod
Hello all! Starting up the monthly discussions for December 2017 book-of-the-month suggestions. This discussion is for the CLASSICS CATEGORY.

As a reminder, books that qualify for this category must have a publication date 1969 and before. If the book you wish to nominate was published in 1970 or after, please make your suggestion on the Modern Classics/Popular Reads thread.

Will start off by suggesting The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 731 comments The Story of Walt Disney's Motion Picture Mary Poppins

The Pearl

To Kill a Mockingbird

Picking books that are waiting on my ever expanding shelf.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 985 comments So, you don't mean the original Mary Poppins? It was very interesting, when I read it last year. Not like the movie.

I nominate A Sand County Almanac and Sketches Here and There by Aldo Leopold.

If it's truly ok to nominate more than one, I also nominate Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 731 comments Cheryl, I would like to read both, but i picked up this Walt Disney version in an antique store and would like to read it since it's on my shelf! I have a weakness for buying old books. Especially old school textbooks and primers from the first half of the 1900's!

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 731 comments Would also like to nominate Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

message 6: by Leesa (new)

Leesa I nominate 'The Nutcracker and The Mouse King' by E.T.A. Hoffmann

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

HI! I would like to second twenty thousand leagues under the sea :)

message 8: by Moonglowpages (new)

Moonglowpages Bookstagram | 4 comments I second To Kill and Mockingbird and would like to add Pride and Prejudice

message 9: by D.L. (new)

D.L. I will second Pride and Prejudice & would like to nominate Oliver Twist as well.

Melanie Daph wrote: "I will second Pride and Prejudice & would like to nominate Oliver Twist as well."

I will second these both.

message 13: by Rowen (last edited Oct 01, 2017 07:34PM) (new) - added it

Rowen | 48 comments I would like to nominate Dragonflight and Stranger in a Strange Land.

I second The Fellowship of the Ring.

Hannah I nominate Flowers for Algernon and second Stranger in a Strange Land

Martina Bučková | 146 comments Not sure if it will fit this group but I second Gone with the Wind

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Martina wrote: "Not sure if it will fit this group but I second Gone with the Wind"
totally fits, and we haven't read it yet!!

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 275 comments Going to wait til I know what we are reading in November

Sarah (sarath595) | 1 comments I'll second Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.

message 21: by Brian (last edited Oct 03, 2017 06:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brian | 277 comments Sarah, is your Mary Poppins book what the film Saving Mr. Banks was based on? Sounds interesting.

Second to Nutcracker

message 22: by Daisy (new) - added it

Daisy I ABSOLUTELY second The Fellowship of the Ring (does my nerdy enthusiasm count for an extra vote? lol), and will also nominate Howards End by E.M. Forster.

Quinty | 139 comments I second The Fellowship of the Ring! Would love to read that one here!

message 24: by Kristin B. (new) - added it

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | -2 comments I would like to second To Kill a Mockingbird

message 25: by Sarah (last edited Oct 06, 2017 07:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 345 comments Since it will be the holidays I'll second Nutcracker by E.T.A. Hoffmann (published in 1815 and many versions 120 pages or less)

Edited: to say second, not nominate. I somehow managed to miss Leesa's nomination of it

daniela (daniela_nieblina) | 337 comments I would like to nominate A Wrinkle in Time
and Jane Eyre

I would have second the Story of Walt Disney, but I don't think I everyone could find the book in time. I have now added it on my TBR, tho!

message 27: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Martina wrote: "Not sure if it will fit this group but I second Gone with the Wind"

I will also second this!

message 28: by Kevin (last edited Oct 03, 2017 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kevin (sidious) | 22 comments I'll second A Wrinkle in Time and The Fellowship of the Ring (even though I've already read it :) ).

message 29: by Linda (last edited Oct 03, 2017 07:45PM) (new)

message 30: by Linda (last edited Oct 03, 2017 07:47PM) (new)

Linda | 525 comments Linda wrote: "I'll second The Nutcracker and the Mouse King . I also second The Fellowship of the Ring"

message 31: by Lauriane (new)

Lauriane I'll second Jane Eyre and Gone with the Wind

message 32: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Ames (kmames) | 147 comments I second twenty thousand leagues under the sea and a wrinkle in time

Hannah As the new Bladerunner film has just come out, can I also throw in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick :D

Hannah wrote: "As the new Bladerunner film has just come out, can I also throw in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick :D"
i loved this book i would totally read it again. second.

message 35: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike | 8 comments I would vote for PKD Android/sheep too.

Given the holidays, could also see doing a Dickens classic

message 36: by Andri (new)

Andri Anna | 15 comments I'd like to second Nutcracker and, after reading Mike's comment, nominate A Christmas Carol.

message 38: by Daisy (new) - added it

Daisy I second Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Am long overdue to read this sci-fi classic!

Chelsea | 48 comments I’ll second Fellowship & Pride & Prejudice!

message 40: by Pye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pye (helenduvall) | 30 comments Second Howards End

message 41: by Marcos (new) - added it

Marcos Kopschitz | 1768 comments Many great books suggested again! I'll have to pick a few, though.
So far, I second:

Nutcracker - E.T.A. Hoffmann is always a great read.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Innastholiel I also second Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and The Fellowship of the Ring.

Abigail I second Gone with the Wind - I've had it on my Kindle for a while and never got around to it.

message 46: by MissLemon (last edited Oct 21, 2017 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 275 comments Andrianna wrote: "I'd like to second Nutcracker and, after reading Mike's comment, nominate A Christmas Carol."

The bookshelf says the group read in December 2016 was A Christmas Carol

message 47: by Marcos (last edited Oct 21, 2017 09:09AM) (new) - added it

Marcos Kopschitz | 1768 comments You're right, Carolyn, everyone else failed to remember or check! :-)

So, it's not eligible here, but it can be nominated in the Bookshelf Catch-Up thread.

Thanks, Carolyn, for catching it. We have already read A Christmas Carol as a group - if you would like to read, please nominate/second in the "bookshelf catch-up" nomination thread. Thanks, all!

message 50: by Chrissy (last edited Oct 25, 2017 05:21AM) (new)

Chrissy eckert I second Slaughterhouse five by Vonnegut, and nominate Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.