Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > November 2017 Random Read Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Oct 01, 2017 10:02AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4691 comments Mod
November is our Random Read Month. That means you can nominate any book you want that meets the below qualifications.

(Please recall that we don't vote for books we've already read).

Here are the other considerations:

1. One nomination per group member. The books must be nominated with a Goodreads link by clicking on 'add book/author'. If a book does not have a Goodreads link, it will not be added to the poll.
2. Books need to be readily available, ie, in print (able to buy new or in ebook format).
3. Books should have some degree of action/adventure content.
4. Past group reads are not eligible to be nominated again. The past group discussions remain open for members to comment. You may see the list of past reads here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

5. Books must be either standalone or first in a series (or they may be later in a series if constructed to be read as a standalone).

Please feel free to include a blurb for the book so others know a little about the book, along with your Goodreads book link.

The poll will go up on October 8th.

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Oct 01, 2017 10:17AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4691 comments Mod
Zero World by Jason Hough is my nomination.

Synopsis: Technologically enhanced superspy Peter Caswell has been dispatched on a top-secret assignment unlike any he’s ever faced. A spaceship that vanished years ago has been found, along with the bodies of its murdered crew—save one. Peter’s mission is to find the missing crew member, who fled through what appears to be a tear in the fabric of space. Beyond this mysterious doorway lies an even more confounding reality: a world that seems to be Earth’s twin.

Peter discovers that this mirrored world is indeed different from his home, and far more dangerous. Cut off from all support, and with only days to complete his operation, Peter must track his quarry alone on an alien world. But he’s unprepared for what awaits on the planet’s surface, where his skills will be put to the ultimate test—and everything he knows about the universe will be challenged in ways he never could have imagined.

Lost Planet Airman I'm going to nominate the The Loo Sanction by Trevanian. Although GR lists this a second in the Jonathan Hemlock series, I believe this is a case of retreading the character into a new adventure, without having had to read the first, so it should be considered a stand-alone.

message 4: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Starks (lastarks) | 43 comments The Lost City of the Monkey Gods is a true story with the adventure of discovering a truly wild place... and the price that's paid.

The Lost City of the Monkey God: A True Story

message 5: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
I will nominate Blood Oath (Nathaniel Cade, #1) by Christopher Farnsworth Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth.

Zach Barrows is an ambitious young White House staffer whose career takes an unexpected turn when he's partnered with Nathaniel Cade, a secret agent sworn to protect the President. But Cade is no ordinary civil servant. Bound by a special blood oath, he is a vampire. Cade battles nightmares before they can break into the daylight world of the American dream, enemies far stranger-and far more dangerous-than civilians have ever imagined.

An action-packed thriller...not your typical vampire fare!

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Hey Mike. You forgot your Goodreads link.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Sorry the poll is late. I will post it this evening.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The poll is up. You can vote through October 18th:

November Random Read Group Read Poll

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The Loo Sanction won the poll. The discussion will begin on November 1st. Thanks to everyone who participated in the selection process.

Lost Planet Airman Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) wrote: "The Loo Sanction won the poll. The discussion will begin on November 1st. Thanks to everyone who participated in the selection process."

So, I just noticed that I forgot the Goodreads link (thanks for the reminder, Danielle!) Thank you , everyone, for tolerating my sub-par performance as a human being!

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 789 comments Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) wrote: "The Loo Sanction won the poll. The discussion will begin on November 1st. Thanks to everyone who participated in the selection process."

Super! I'm halfway through it right now & enjoying it.