Reading List Completists discussion

The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
This topic is about The Mists of Avalon
Mists of Avalon > Mists of Avalon - General Discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1679 comments Mod
General discussion of Mists of Avalon here. I will add other discussion topics later. This is our Big Read for October to December 2017.

message 2: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

So, uh, someone just pointed out to me that Marion Zimmer Bradley had a shady life. I just read her Wikipedia page and . . . um, ugh! I will finish this book, but I think my view of it is a bit tainted now. I only know what Wikipedia says, so maybe I didn't get the full story, but what is there is scandalous enough!

message 3: by C-shaw (new)

C-shaw Gosh, got to go look her up now!

Phil Jensen | 18 comments Matthew wrote: "I only know what Wikipedia says, so maybe I didn't get the full story"

If Wikipedia accuses her of molesting her own daughter, then yes, that's the basis of the accusations.

To the minimal extent that I've looked into them, the accusations seem to be corroborated. Bradley maintained an alternative, Wicca-inspired lifestyle that included performing group rituals without her daughter's consent.

You can easily trace this line of thought in Mists of Avalon. Not only are the novice characters sexually manipulated by their leaders through group rituals, but also rape victims act in ways that are unrealistic and show a lack of understanding on the part of the author. It also explains why a book that is theoretically about the power of women is so hostile to the concept of motherhood- one of the most powerful roles a woman can take on.

It is also worth noting that all proceeds from Mists of Avalon are donated to children's charities.

message 5: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (last edited Nov 22, 2017 06:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phil wrote: "Matthew wrote: "I only know what Wikipedia says, so maybe I didn't get the full story"

If Wikipedia accuses her of molesting her own daughter, then yes, that's the basis of the accusations.

To th..."

Thanks for the additional background. I am surprised I didn't know about any of this until just this week. Usually I feel like I have at least an idea that there is a controversy behind something when it is so popular. It has definitely tainted my continued reading of this book.

message 6: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished! Ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Click here for Matthew's review