2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2017 > A Feast for Crows (Ice & Fire #4)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss George R.R. Martin‘s book, A Feast for Crows.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Rachael, Amber, Amanda, SarahKat, Allie, Amber, Rachel, Maheen, Luffy, Liv, Kiera, Lois, Mary Pat, Anky, Waco, Talia, Rachel, Carolyn, Bianca, Kate, Auntie Terror, Elina

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 265
Week 2: 265
Week 3: 265
Week 4: 265

message 3: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3074 comments I'll be starting this today. It will be a different experience for me this time because when I read it before, I read books 4 and 5 together.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Copeland | 5 comments Oh yay, I'm already reading this and am two-thirds of the way through.

message 5: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 431 comments I'm 100 something pages in, and so far it's actually better than the prologue and a comment from a colleague let me fear.
On a sidenote, I've also begun to to watch the series for the first time. Not sure how I like that yet ^^'

message 6: by Elina (new)

Elina Tola (Bookeliina) (elinatola) | 94 comments I have had a wery good start on this one - 25% done. I keep listening to audiobook (narrated by Roy Dotrice) while doing chores. I like that the chapters are longer than in the previous books.

message 7: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3074 comments When I read this the first time I hated the chapters that were just titled "The Captain of the Guard" and stuff like that. I didn't know who these people were! Stop interrupting the story of the people I care about!

I don't mind as much now because I know where things are heading.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Copeland | 5 comments I just finished the book, and I did not like those chapters title "Captain of the Guards" ect. I enjoyed the plot lines, but I enjoy getting connected to various characters in different story lines. I didn't like hopping from one perspective to another in the same plot.

I was also frustrated at the lack of main characters in this book. Where is Dani? Where is Jon? Where is Davos?

I also hated Cersi. It's not just that's she is evil. She is so incompetent while arrogant that it's infuriating. I get enough of that watching Trump.

I did throughly enjoy Jamie and Brienne's plot lines. I have not watched the show so it will be interesting for me to see happens when the next book picks up.

Ultimately it was a good book, but I was left feeling slightly betrayed because it felt so disjointed from the last three books.

message 9: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3074 comments Paul wrote: "I was also frustrated at the lack of main characters in this book. Where is Dani? Where is Jon? Where is Davos?"

Paul, George R.R. Martin wrote this one and the fifth book at the same time, and instead of cutting that tome in half chronologically, he cut it in half by characters. So one could conceivably read both books at the same time (as I did the first time) so you don't miss Jon, Dany, Daavos, etc. too much. Everything in both books is happening at the same time, until the end of the 5th book when it catches up and adds back in some book 4 characters.

Does that make any sense?

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul Copeland | 5 comments Yes, but it doesn't help this book feel less disjointed. Though I suppose it does make me thirst for book 5.

message 11: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3074 comments I'm almost done, and I've realized almost NOTHING in this book actually happens in the show. I forgot so many minute details or character developments because they are different or left out of the show. As much as I hate Cersei, I have been enjoying her chapters because it really does an awesome job showing us exactly how insane she is. It also starts to separate Jaime from his twin a little more than what is shown in the show.

message 12: by Elina (new)

Elina Tola (Bookeliina) (elinatola) | 94 comments I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did, there was so much Cersei chapters, that I started to look forward to them. I still hate Cersei, but in this book I started to understand her more, to find reasons behind all that she came to be.

message 13: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 431 comments I still haven't made it through. I thought at first that it actually isn't as boring as I was told. But it got worse for me, and I'm struggling. I have a day off work today, and I'll buy myself provisions, make a brave face and wrestle this one down somehow. All in the hope that part 5 will be something I enjoy again.

message 14: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3074 comments Auntie Terror wrote: "I still haven't made it through. I thought at first that it actually isn't as boring as I was told. But it got worse for me, and I'm struggling. I have a day off work today, and I'll buy myself pro..."

Sad! I hope you enjoy the fifth one. I do believe there's a bit more action. Feast for Crows was a lot of intrigue, plotting, and build-up.

message 15: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3202 comments I found this book to be the worst of the series but it was still well-written enough to be worth 3.75-4 stars

message 16: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 431 comments So far I can second that, Rachel. I still have hopes for book five - once I'm done with this. There are moments when I think "oh, this isn't so bad". And then she who must not be named pops up again... ^^'

SarahKat, I do hope the same. (It isn't so much the action I miss - I somehow feel as if I was stuck in all the places where things don't move much at all while somewhere else a lot is happening, and I miss out on that and get an allegedly grown woman (view spoiler) instead.)

message 17: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3202 comments Auntie Terror wrote: "So far I can second that, Rachel. I still have hopes for book five - once I'm done with this. There are moments when I think "oh, this isn't so bad". And then she who must not be named pops up agai..."
I suppose after reading the series so far,
you can't give up now. Here's some motivation to get you through the rest of book 4 (view spoiler) :)

message 18: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 431 comments Rachael wrote: "I suppose after reading the series so far,
you can't give up now. Here's some motivation to get you through the rest of book 4 (view spoiler) :) "

No, I really can't. And that one was a very relieving spoiler ;-D

message 19: by Paul (new)

Paul Copeland | 5 comments I've started book 5, and it gives me a better view of book 4. Book 4 is a harder read because it is a lull in the action. It is about the rebuilding of war torn Westros. In the 7 kingdoms it feels as though the conflict is over. The book takes a pause as you get to see the horrific affects of the war. There are some lingering rebels and outlaws to be rounded up, but the kingdom is secure. In the 5th book you quickly realize that this has been a false sense of security. Throughout book 4 forces have been gathering and regrouping. The threat to Westros has not disappeared. It simmers on the outskirts with the many who are unhappy with the outcome of the war of the 5 kings. Many have doubts about the Lannister standing following Tywin's death.

Throughout book 4 you hear whispers of what is happening in other parts of the world. In book 5 you begin to take a look at the reality.

message 20: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 431 comments Finally, I'm done with this one, too. It is a pity that we'll probably never see the events which just started to unfold in the last 30 pages in print.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Feast for Crows (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

George R.R. Martin (other topics)