What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Dare to Be Scared: Thirteen Stories to Chill and Thrill
This topic is about Dare to Be Scared
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. 2008 / Kids Horror Anthology? [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sebastian (last edited Sep 30, 2017 12:10AM) (new)

Sebastian | 5 comments Okay this is a super long shot, but i’m looking for this spooky story book i used to have as a kid (2008, give or take a few years! book could have been older though), it was an anthology.

The stories i remember are:

- there was a big pier where there was a theme park (think Santa Monica pier) where one of the rides strapped in these two kids and they were unable to get out, riding the ride over and over until they get sent into some alien landscape. (one of the kids had passed out by this point)

- some kids climbed a mountain and encounter some sort of thunderbird or pterodactyl

- there was a girl who was acting bad and her grandmother told her the lady of the moon (or something similar? it was the moon) was going to get her, and the way she avoided her was to stay out of the moonlight. she ends up getting taken though because the grandmother turned on the lights

- there was a boy on a trip with his family to a historic site where people were kept (i want to say the boy was asian american?) and the boy gets possessed by a boy ghost of a prisoner his age in the buildings. story ends with the ghost taking over the boy's life

- something about ants attacking ?

If anything sounds familiar to you please let me know! I've googled my little heart out but have had no luck!

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5117 comments I read the same anthology, but I can't remember what it was called, either. I'm sorry! I sure hope you find it!

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5117 comments Was there a story about a bratty girl on the phone with her dead great-aunt? And another one about a boy who keeps meeting people with terrifyingly big teeth?

message 4: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Newton | 1 comments Was it one of the 'scary stories to tell in the dark' books?

message 5: by Kris (last edited Oct 06, 2017 05:07AM) (new)

Kris | 34466 comments Mod
Scary Stories [to Tell in the Dark] series by Alvin Schwartz, I think - https://www.goodreads.com/series/7881... - Marilyn's suggestion

message 6: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian | 5 comments Rosa wrote: "Was there a story about a bratty girl on the phone with her dead great-aunt? And another one about a boy who keeps meeting people with terrifyingly big teeth?"

This sounds super familiar!! I'm glad I found someone else with the same memory of this book, thought I had possibly dreamed this up.

Kris wrote: "Scary Stories [to Tell in the Dark] series by Alvin Schwartz, I think - https://www.goodreads.com/series/7881... - Marilyn's suggestion"

This is not it, sorry! I own all of the Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark books.

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5117 comments Did you ever find this book, Sebastian?

message 8: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian | 5 comments Sadly no. Thank you for your help all those months ago though!

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5117 comments Sigh.

message 11: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian | 5 comments ROSAAAAA IM SO HAPPY I KEPT MY EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS ON!

You rock!!!!

Thank you so much!

message 12: by Rosa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5117 comments :D Hooray!!! Happy reading! I’m so glad I could help.

message 13: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian | 5 comments Woo!! :D