Young Adult Fiction! discussion

The Classroom-(gen. discussion) > Books that make you HAPPY

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim | 35 comments The other day, someone asked me: Why is so much "good" literature so depressing and have so many dark themes in it? After a LONG talk about the nature of the human being and what we're drawn to and the need for human connection about universal things, I found myself exhausted. As a teacher, I know how important it is to read and discuss all this darkness. But since my daughter was born three and a half years ago, I find myself wanting lighter, happier reads as well. And I think they are JUST as important as the dark stuff. So, as a writer, I'm at work on my second novel and determined to write a FUN book - something that's just fun to read, a little literary, but mostly just something to ENJOY. And as a reader, I am trying to read books right now that make me happy, but that are really well-written and funny and hopeful. So much of the "happy" stuff gets tossed aside as being "fluff" or being "cheesy" and I'm having trouble wading through all that. I'm wondering if people have suggestions for really well-written, good books that are just FUN and make you HAPPY while reading them. Suggestions?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, when I was younger I read almost all of the Trixie Belden books. They are mystery books, but not murder or bloody. They just make me feel like I'm sitting in a park in the summer reading them, a cool breeze is blowing and there are birds chirping and children laughing. No kiding!
Um... OH! Howl's Moving Castle is amazing! I really love that book! The movie is awesome also!

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Gerstenblatt | 2 comments I always tell my students that it is important to have a well-balanced literary diet, and that every once in a while, you need some candy or a yummy snack. My favorite books in this category would be:

Secrets of My Hollywood Life, 1 and 2
Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
6th Grade Glommers, Norks and Me
The Princess Diaries and other things by Meg Cabot
Heartbeat
One of those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies (LOVE!!!)
The Earth, My Butt, and other Big Round Things
Hope this helps!!!

message 4: by J-Lynn (new)

J-Lynn (JVanPelt) | 25 comments Mod
At the top of my list for fun, happy reads would be:
Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
Sahara Special by Esme Raji Codell
The Alex Rider Series by Anthony Horowitz (although there is death, the action is fun and exciting)
Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

jgerstenblatt,
Sisterhood is a great series, but the first one is soooo sad! I can't handle kids dying.

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim | 35 comments Awesome, awesome, awesome suggestions, and Jgerstenblatt, your idea of candy and yummy snack rocks - that's exactly what I meant. I'm for the balanced diet too, but I LOVE CANDY (or so the song says)...thanks for the great ideas!

message 6: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 36 comments How about a funny book- "Dairy Queen"- love DJ Schwenk and she is better in "Off Sides" but that is more serious, not as funny- but still recommend both

I like Bucking the Sarge by Christopher Paul Curtis-- a laugh a minute

and Al Capone Does My Shirts,too

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim | 35 comments I've had two other people talk about Dairy Queen lately - that is going on the list! Thanks :-) I'm going to read Al Capone Does My Shirts for the title - that is great!

message 8: by elissa (new)

elissa (LibrarianElissa) | 16 comments One of this year's Printz honor books is a book that made me very happy! ONE WHOLE AND PERFECT DAY by Judith Clarke. The writing is excellent, and I highly recommend it, especially if lots of coincidences don't bother you.