Book Nook Cafe discussion

Health-Exercise-Diet > Recipe Thread #1

Comments Showing 1-50 of 565 (565 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Donna in Southern Maryland (cedarville922) | 207 comments I thought I'd start a separate recipe folder to make any recipe easy to find; sometimes we can wander off topic! (No, right? Not US!)

Arby's Pecan Chicken Salad

I used to be a manager at an Arby's, so I know what goes in it, but I can't remember in what proportions. Hope this helps!

Roasted Diced Chicken (try Tyson's version in the pouch, tastes identical)
Halved Champagne grapes or any other red grape
Finely diced Celery
Finely diced Jonathan apples
Crushed pecans
LOTS of Mayo
(Don't use the cheap stuff, it has to be Hellman's or Kraft)

Now this doesn't give exact amounts, but Chicken Salad to me is pretty much a "add as much as you have or like, and leave out what you don't like" kind of recipe. It did say in another place that Jonathan apples are best, but you could surely try others. Serve on your favorite multi-grain bread, or eat it 'straight.' Either way, it's delicious!

Donna in Southern Maryland

message 2: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie (bobbie572002) | 1084 comments I'm OK until you get up to LOTS of mayo. Don't like that but everything else sounds great!!

Barbara

Donna in Southern Maryland (cedarville922) | 207 comments Well, I don't like LOTS of mayo either, Barbara! So when I make it, I will put 'just enough' in! :o)

message 4: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 18836 comments That reminds me of the episode of Roseanne. She is the waitress and someone is taking forever to decide between the tuna salad and the chicken salad. Finally she screams at him and says "what's the difference it's all just mayonnaise anyway !

message 5: by Traveler (new)

Traveler | 42 comments OK, now I have to figure out what Jonathon Apples and champagne grapes are... lol lol

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 730 comments I just found this recipe! I double dare anyone to make it! LOL

Batter-Dipped Fried Sage Leaves

20 large fresh sage leaves
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
Corn oil for deep-frying
Rinse the sage leaves and lay them on a paper towel so most of the water is absorbed. Meanwhile, prepare a cooling rack by covering it with paper towels. In a shallow dish, beat the egg with the water until well-blended. Sift the flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt onto a flat plate.

In a deep, heavy frying pan, pour the oil to a depth of 1 inch and heat to 350 degrees. Once the oil has reached temperature, gently dip the sage leaves, one at a time, in the egg mixture, allowing any excess egg to drip off. Dust with flour, shaking off any excess, and immediately drop into the frying pan. Repeat with the remaining sage leaves but do not crowd the frying pan. Fry until golden, but do not allow the leaves to brown.

Transfer the sage leaves to the prepared rack to drain. After frying all the leaves and they have drained, sprinkle with salt as desired. Place on a serving plate in a single layer and serve immediately.

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 730 comments I may make this and freeze it in small portions

Garlic Sage Butter

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage
2 large minced garlic cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
Mix all together or process quickly in a food processor. Chill and serve with rolls or use it on vegetables such as green beans, brussel sprouts, cabbage or other green vegetables.

or this

Herb and Shallot Butter

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 small shallot, minced
4 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
2 teaspoon minced fresh sage
Stir together butter, shallot and herbs. Use this for fresh vegetables, a steak topping or for bread. Makes 1/2 cup butter.

or this

Roasted New Potatoes with Shallots and Sage

From Bon Appetit, November 1997

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
4 pounds medium-size red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed, quartered
1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
16 shallots, peeled, halved lengthwise
Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook butter and fresh sage in small saucepan over medium-heat until butter simmers and is well flavored with sage, about 4 minutes. Toss potatoes with dried sage and 2 tablespoons sage butter in bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer potatoes to 2 baking sheets. Bake 20 minutes. Toss shallots in same bowl with 1 tablespoon sage butter. Season with salt and pepper. Divide shallots between baking sheets. Roast until potatoes and shallots are tender and golden, turning occasionally, about 35 minutes longer. Transfer potatoes and shallots to large bowl. Add remaining sage butter; toss. Season with salt and pepper. Makes 8 Servings.

message 8: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11631 comments JoAnn, thank you for putting these recipes here. I wondered if i'd remember where to find them later.

deborah

message 9: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 18836 comments ***Reposting from weekend chit chat folder which is being closed.

message 92: by Traveler 23 hours, 56 min ago

Fried sage leaves... I can't imagine.

Anybody have some good low cal chicken recipes? No dairy, no cheese, etc...

===================================================

message 94: by kate/Edukate12 16 hours, 33 min ago

Thanks for the sage recipes Jo Ann, though I think I'll pass on the fried leaves.

Kate

=====================================

message 95: by madrano 5 hours, 45 min ago

JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Deborah, tell me about the shrimp marinated in oil and vinegar and sage leaves. I have an abundance of sage here....
"

The beauty of this "recipe" is that you skewer the peeled & deveined shrimp, alternating with crusty bread & a leaf of sage, onto the skewers. (We fit about 5 shrimp per skewer.) Then pour an oil & vinegar marinade (we've even just used Italian salad dressing but a mild one) over it, allowing it to soak 4 or so hours. Grill as usual. The sage usually comes out a bit crisp on the ends but still quite sage-y where it's been up against the bread & fish. It is delicious and sinfully simple.

DH complained last night because the sage leaves we have now, after a hot summer, are thinner than what we'll have a month from now. I suggested alternating the leaves after each piece of shrimp & bread next time. This is my favorite summer meal.

Martha Stewart first introduced me to the idea of frying sage leaves but she just sauteed them in oil. Only a few got crisp enough for my satisfaction. That's the only kind of frying i try but would love to taste the battered ones.

deborah

================================

message 96: by JoAnn/QuAppelle, 3 hours, 51 min ago

Deborah, I am confused. Doesn't the bread fall apart/dissolve after soaking in a marinade for four hours? I make French toast with a crusty bread and if I soak it for 5 minutes it falls apart.

========================================

message 97: by JoAnn/QuAppelle 3 hours, 50 min ago

Deborah wrote:
Martha Stewart first introduced me to the idea of frying sage leaves but she just sauteed them in oil. Only a few got crisp enough for my satisfaction. That's the only kind of frying i try but would love to taste the battered ones.

so would I but I don't want to make them. LOL

Have you ever fried capers? Oh, my, they are to DIE FOR!!! They pop open in the oil.

============================================

message 98: by madrano (last edited 08/31/2009 05:10PM) 1 hour, 58 min ago

JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Deborah, I am confused. Doesn't the bread fall apart/dissolve after soaking in a marinade for four hours? I make French toast with a crusty bread and if I soak it for 5 minutes it falls apart."

JoAnn, we've never had that problem. He cuts them in squares with each piece having some crust. The bread, he just told me, doesn't sit in the marinade itself. It's drizzled on but he turns it every hour, so it's reapplied. Maybe when i say crusty i should say country bread, it's what the recipe calls it but he's tried all sorts of bread over the years. Yesterday, though, he used a garlic chiabatti, which didn't fall apart, either. So, i'm guessing the fact it's not sitting in the marinade is the difference. Sorry for any confusion. As you can see, i pay no attention when he makes it, except to praise when it's served to me. :-)

I've never heard of nor tasted fried capers but i'll be those are tasty!

deborah
==========================================

message 99: by Kriverbend 39 minutes ago

Have you ever fried capers? Oh, my, they are to DIE FOR!!! They pop open in the oil.

JoAnn, I've used capers so many times...chicken picatta, tuna salad, etc., etc., but I've never heard of frying them. Should they be sauteed alone or at the last minute as an afterthought with something else.

Lois

message 10: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 730 comments Lois, I drain a small jar of capers, then fry them in about 1/3 cup of olive oil in a small shallow frying pan. I like to fry them for a couple of minutes to make them crispy. You will see them open up. Drain on paper towels and use them as a topping for almost anything....fish, veggies, chicken, etc. I mix together a bit of olive oil and Dijon mustard, put it on Brussel sprouts, and then sprinkle the capers over them.

message 11: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie (bobbie572002) | 1084 comments Wow -- the capers sound wonderful. I'm always up for a new taste but somehow whatever I have tried on Brussel Sprouts still doesn't make me like them.

Barbara

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I always thought that I did not like brussel sprouts until last year we went to the finger lakes and I ate them at a restaurant and they were very good. I say if you like steamed cabbage then brussel sprouts are just baby cabbages. Barb try some red wine vinegar on them and see if that livens them up some after they are steamed. Also garlice butter is good on them too with a little salt and pepper.

I tend to use kosher salt or sea salt so what ever you like is up to you.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Talking about things that are fried. My Ma used to make fried cauliflower when I was growing up has anyone ever tryed that. As I remember it was very good. You use the same flower mixture as you do for fried eggplant. Its a good thing I am going to visit with her this weekend I am getting very hungry for her cooking.
Thanks
Jennifer

message 14: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie (bobbie572002) | 1084 comments I do like steamed cabbage but brussel sprouts taste more bitter to me. I have tried recipes that sounded really wonderful and I still didn't care for them. They advanced from absolutely awful to OK but still not something I would choose.

Barbara

message 15: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 730 comments I love fresh brussel sprouts, which the orchard up the street from us produces in the fall. But if I buy frozen ones, I always buy the baby brussel sprouts. They are less strong, I think.

I love cooked cabbage with vinegar. Never heard of fried cauliflower, but what the heck? Why not?

message 16: by Bobbie (last edited Sep 02, 2009 07:23AM) (new)

Bobbie (bobbie572002) | 1084 comments Maybe I should try the fresh brussel sprouts. I have seen them. I'm always up for experimentation. LOL

I do like cabbage -- different ways. Cabbage soup, red cabbage kind of German style -- regular cabbage, sauerkraut, apples with Pork Chops and plain potatoes. And this cool weather always brings out the urge for that dish.

Barbara

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

When I go to visit my Ma this weekend she is making rolled meat in cabbage. Its one of my favorites from when I was a little girl. No one else in my house likes cabbage so I will be able to eat until I am sick. Yum!!!

message 18: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 18836 comments I'm not a big brussel sprout person myself.

I saw on the Food Channel someone (maybe Ina?) cook them by first pealing them. So they were all little leaves and not balls.Then they sauteed the leaves in olive oil, garlic, onions, S&P to taste. It seemed like a recipe that might appeal to me. I would probably also add sauteed sliced cherry tomatoes.

As for cabbage, I know they say it's a super healthy thing to eat. So sometimes I buy a head and chop some into my salads. The good thing about cabbage is it lasts a long time in the refrigerator.

message 19: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie (bobbie572002) | 1084 comments Yes Jennifer -- how could I have left out stuffed cabbage. Yum!! Now you have me thinking about that.
Easy to make and inexpensive too.

Barbara

message 20: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11631 comments I'm with Barbara on Brussel Sprouts--i've tried them many ways & still only find them so-so. Because DH hates them, i only eat them when we dine out. The last way i tried them was baked alone in an oven, so they were kinda crisp. Still unimpressed.

deborah

message 21: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 730 comments Alias, I roast cherry or grape tomatoes and they are yummy. I mix them in a bowl with chopped garlic, oil, S and P, then put them into a roasting pan and in the oven at @400 for just a few minutes. Good alone as a hot veggie or over pasta.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

JoAnn,
That sounds wonderful. I love pasta with just a touch of veggies and oil.

message 23: by Alias Reader (last edited Sep 04, 2009 08:08AM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 18836 comments Cross posting from the health/diet/exercise thread since it contains a link to recipes.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/recipes/re...

message 24: by madrano (last edited Sep 09, 2009 06:00PM) (new)

madrano | 11631 comments This is a recipe from the September 2 episode of "Top Chef", which i shared elsewhere. I add it here so i can find it quickly. :-)

http://www.bravotv.com/foodies/recipe...

GOAT CHEESE COOKIES

1 c. goat cheese
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
3 egg whites
Black pepper
Sea salt
Fresh dill sprigs
Lemon zest

Cream goat cheese and sugar in a stand mixer. Mix in flour and egg whites. Spread on a silpat and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 350-degrees F until golden brown. Break into desired shape.

deborah

message 25: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11631 comments Oh, in a surprise, the "Top Chef" site has the recipe up today. Here is the Bacon Jam recipe--

For Bacon Jam:

1. Render bacon in a heavy sauté pan in hot 500-degree F oven until bacon is crispy.

2. Pull from oven and remove bacon. Cook julienned onions in the remaining bacon fat, scraping the bits from the bottom of the pan until onions are dark golden.

3. Add brown sugar and stir to coat.

4. Add a third of the chicken stock and place pan back in the oven to simmer. Reduce mixture until thick, almost au sec (approx 5-15 minutes). Watch carefully that it doesn’t burn.

5. Add half of the remaining stock and reduce again until thick.

6. Add all of the remaining stock and remove pan from the oven. Season with salt, pepper, and espelette to taste.

7. Pour contents into a blender and puree until fairly smooth.

8. Pour contents back into sauté pan and stir in honey to combine.

9. Put pan back into oven and cook stirring frequently until deep brick red color is reached.

10. Re-season and mount with butter. Allow to cool to warm temperature.

http://www.bravotv.com/foodies/recipe...

deborah

message 26: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 18836 comments Barbara, awhile back we were lamenting the amount of sodium in prepared pancake mixes.

PCRM.org sent me this recipe in an email today.
It looks pretty easy and has only 81 mg sodium

Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes
Makes 16 3-inch pancakes
These pancakes will knock your Saturday-morning socks off! Drizzle with maple syrup and kick back. And you can put any leftovers in the fridge and pop in the toaster when you are ready to enjoy them crisp and warm. Make a quick smoothie with leftover banana, frozen blueberries, and soymilk!.

In this recipe, buckwheat and blueberries team up to make a terrific-tasting, health-protecting breakfast.

1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 ripe banana, mashed
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup fortified soy- or rice milk
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 vegetable oil spray

Mix buckwheat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a separate large bowl, combine mashed banana, maple syrup, vinegar, and non-dairy milk. Add flour mixture, stirring just enough to remove any lumps and make a pourable batter. Stir in blueberries and add a bit more milk if the batter seems too thick.

Preheat a non-stick skillet or griddle, then spray lightly with vegetable oil. Pour small amounts of batter onto the heated surface and cook until tops bubble. Turn carefully with a spatula and cook the second sides until browned, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.

Per pancake
Calories: 55
Fat: 0.5 g
Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
Calories from Fat: 8.1%
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 1.5 g
Carbohydrates: 11.8 g
Sugar: 3.8 g
Fiber: 1.1 g
Sodium: 81 mg
Calcium: 32 mg
Iron: 0.6 mg
Vitamin C: 1.6 mg
Beta Carotene: 9 mcg
Vitamin E: 0.3 mg

message 27: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 18836 comments This looks like a super easy side dish. And it's low if fat/sodium

Hoppin’ John Salad
Makes about 10 1/2-cup servings

2 cups cooked black-eyed peas, or 1 15-ounce can black-eyed peas, drained
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup finely sliced green onions
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1 tomato, diced
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 - 2 garlic cloves, crushed

Combine black-eyed peas, rice, green onions, celery, tomato, and parsley in a mixing bowl. In a small bowl, mix together lemon juice, oil, salt, and garlic and pour over the salad. Toss gently. Chill 1 to 2 hours if time permits.

Per 1/2-cup serving
Calories: 91
Fat: 1.9 g
Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
Calories from Fat: 18.5%
Protein: 3.7 g
Carbohydrates: 15.4 g
Sugar: 1.3 g
Fiber: 3.6 g
Sodium: 68 mg
Calcium: 20 mg
Iron: 1.2 mg
Vitamin C: 5.4 mg
Beta Carotene: 137 mcg
Vitamin E: 0.4 mg

From Turn Off the Fat Genes by Neal D. Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond M.S., R.D.

From PCRM.org

message 28: by Alias Reader (last edited Sep 15, 2009 07:51AM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 18836 comments I usually buy applesauce in those little cups. I do make sure I buy the no sugar and no high fructose corn syrup ones. Just plain apples.

With Fall coming and apples so inexpensive, this looks like one I may try. It's easy and none of those fake dyes to make "blueberry" applesauce. Just real berries ! I use applesauce as a quick and easy side dish all the time.

Berry Applesauce
Makes 4 servings

Serve this applesauce hot or cold. Berries give this applesauce a deep red or purple color and add a hefty dose of anthocyanins—potent cancer-fighting antioxidants.

2 cups peeled, cored, and chopped apples
2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries
1/2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over very low heat for about 25 minutes, or until apples are tender when pierced with a fork. Mash lightly with a potato masher or purée in a food processor, if desired.

Stored in a covered container in the refrigerator, leftover Berry Applesauce will keep for up to 3 days.

Per 1/2-cup serving
Calories: 108
Fat: 0.4 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Calories from Fat: 3.5%
Protein: 0.8 g
Carbohydrates: 26.9 g
Sugar: 20.1 g
Fiber: 2.7 g
Sodium: 11 mg
Calcium: 29 mg
Iron: 0.9 mg
Vitamin C: 49.2 mg
Beta Carotene: 13 mcg
Vitamin E: 0.4 mg

PCRM.org

message 29: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11631 comments I haven't used buckwheat flour in a very long time. There is a bread cookbook i learned with, Our Daily Bread by Stella Standard, with had numerous bread recipes using flours other than wheat. The rice flour breads were different, if not particularly wonderful. This link has my first Whole Wheat Bread recipe from the book. Without the mace it just isn't as good.

http://www.eco-converts.blogspot.com/...

ANYway, leaving Memory Lane, it occurred to me that the Berry Applesauce would be tasty (maybe with some yogurt) on the Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes. We used to have such a creative time making Sunday brunch combos like that with the kids. (Actually, we did that with hamburgers, too, but we are talking vegan delights.)

deborah

Donna in Southern Maryland (cedarville922) | 207 comments I typed this up for another Board, we were having a discussion about Thanksgiving. In case anyone needs a good gravy recipe, here's one:

Make Ahead Turkey Gravy from Cook's County Magazine
Makes about 6 cups
This recipe makes enough gravy for a 12 to 14 pound turkey, with leftovers. Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months. Dried thyme may be substituted for fresh.

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
Reserved turkey neck and giblets, minus the liver
(Donna's note- cook the liver and feed it to the dog! Note 2: We have also used purchased turkey legs and/or thighs)
1 onion, chopped
4 cups low sodium chicken broth - they suggest Swanson Certified Organic free range
2 cups water
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
6 Tbsp all purpose flour
Salt and pepper

1. Saute and soften. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat and brown giblets (no liver) and neck for 5 minutes. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Simmer and skim. Turn heat to high, add chicken broth and water, scrape pan bottom, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, add herbs, and simmer for about 30 minutes, skimming if needed.
3. Strain and cool. Pour broth throguh fine mesh strainer. Discard solids. Broth can be made in advance and stored in the refig for 2 days.
4. Make roux. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in four. Cook, whisking constantly, until honey colored and fragrant, about 4 minutes.
5. Add broth. Bring reserved turkey broth to simmer and add to pan, a little at a time, whisking constantly. Simmer gravy, whisking constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Set aside, covered, until turkey is done. (Gravy can be refigerated, covered for 1 day.)
6. Defat and finish. Scrape up bits in roasting pan and pour drippings into a fat separator. Reheat gravy over medium heat until bubbling. Add defatted drippings. Simmer for 2 minutes until the gravy thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
(Donna's note: if you like 'giblets' this is where I would add the chopped parts of the gizzard and heart or chopped pieces of turkey meat from the neck, legs or thighs)

They recommend as a Test Kitchen favorite the TRUDEAU Gravy Separator which costs about 10 dollars, if you don't have one. It has a built in strainer.

Well, I hope that helps you Ladies! This is a basic, but very good way to make gravy, and if you read the directions ahead of time, and follow them, you should have success. Just remember to whisk constantly when it says to. Don't walk away from the stove! Good luck!

message 31: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 18836 comments Thanks for the gravy recipe, Donna. I never seem to be able to make it right. Mine always seems too greasy. So I began to use bottle gravy by Heinz. I also use the Fat Free Heinz gravy during the year. It's great to put over a baked potato. Then I don't have to use butter. I microwave the potato and make a big salad to go with it. It's a complete meal for me that is quick and easy to put together. And it's low fat.

Lucky for me I don't have to cook for the holidays. My niece has a nice big house and does Thanksgiving.

message 32: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11631 comments Donna, i'm glad the cook incorporates the bits from the actual roasting of the turkey into the previously made gravy. Excellent use all around. Thanks.

deborah

Donna in Southern Maryland (cedarville922) | 207 comments Denny's Country Fried Steak
"Golden Fried Chopped Beef Steaks smothered in rich Country Gravy"

four 5 ounce top round steaks
corn oil
Seasoned Salt
2 to 3 tablespoons red wine
2 cups buscuit mix
salt and pepper
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
1/3 corn oil
Country Gravy (recipe to follow)

1. The night before, put the steaks in a single layer in a dish. Brush them on both sides with an even coating of corn oil. Dust them on both sides with a generous amount of seasoned salt. Drizzle each steak with the wine. Seal the dish in foil or plastic wrap and refigerate the steaks for about 24 hours prior ro preparing the final dish.

2. Remove the steaks from the fride and coat both sides well in the buscuit mix. Season with salt & pepper to taste.

3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

4. Combine the butter with 1/3 cup oil in a large skillet and heat until melted.

5. Place the steaks in the skillet. Brown both sides of each steak until crispy.

6. Transfer the steaks to a baking dish and cover and seal with foil. Bake about 30 minutes, or until golden b rown on each side.

7. Serve with Country Gravy

Serves 4 - maybe be prepared with chicken cutlets instead of beef

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Denny's Country Gravy

1 med. clove garli, minced
1/4 cup bacon drippings
1 cup all purpose flour
3 cups heavy cream
2 cups water
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon pepper

Brown the garlic in the bacon drippings in a large heavy saucepan. Stir in the flour until smooth. Cook over low heat a few minutes, stirring frequently. Add the cram and then the water, continue constant stirring. Simmer until the gravy thickens and is hot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

This recipe is from the cookbook America's Most Wanted Recipes Delicious Recipes from Your Family's Favorite Restaurants [image error] . You'll either love it, or never touch it again! :o)

message 34: by kate/Edukate12 (new)

kate/Edukate12 | 183 comments I love country fried steak, but only allow it about once a year. This recipe looks yummy, but maybe more work than i want to mess with. For one thing, I don't keep bacon drippings. Bacon is another rare treat and i don't save the drippings. I remember though that my mom always had a can of drippings to use. That sounds so unsafe to me now.

Kate

message 35: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11631 comments Kate, i've often wondered about that can of drippings my mom used to keep by the stove, too. Toward the end, she began storing it in the 'fridge. Still, one wonders. But i DO like my bacon! :-)

deborah

message 36: by kate/Edukate12 (new)

kate/Edukate12 | 183 comments My mom kept her can of drippings under the sink I think. It's amazing we are all still here to tell the story.

Kate

message 37: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11631 comments Well put, Kate! LOL!

Sherry (sethurner) (sthurner) I think it was Kate who posted the mostaccioli recipe. Just to let you know, I made it to take to our Christmas Eve pot luck tonight. It looks great!

message 39: by kate/Edukate12 (new)

kate/Edukate12 | 183 comments Oh yay Sherry! I saw you post that on FB but figured it was your own recipe. We love it here, so I hope you all enjoy it too.

Happy Holidays!

kate

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahreader) | 68 comments Kate, I've saved the mostaccioli recipe too, and look forward to trying it. But lord help me if I have to pronounce it. Can I just call it moustache?

And Alias, thanks for posting the Hoppin John recipe. It's getting close to New Years, so I have to have some black-eyed peas on New Years Day. Of course, I MIGHT sneak in a little bacon . . . got to respect those traditions, you know.

message 41: by kate/Edukate12 (new)

kate/Edukate12 | 183 comments LOL Sarah, I'm not even sure how to pronounce mostaccioli. I'm making it tomorrow to serve on the 26th. I love the way it makes the house smell.

Kate

message 42: by Connie (new)

Connie (constants) | 73 comments LOL Sarah, I'm not even sure how to pronounce mostaccioli. I'm making it tomorrow to serve on the 26th. I love the way it makes the house smell.

Here in St. Louis, mostaccioli is a popular entree, often served at wedding receptions and frequently eaten with a "spork." I don't know how things like that get started, but they do. And here we pronounce it - MUSK-a-cholly. That's not the proper pronunciation, but it's the St. Louis pronunciation!

Sherry (sethurner) (sthurner) I say Ma- sta- cho- lee

However you say it, the recipe was a hit at our family gathering Christmas Eve. Many thanks!

message 44: by kate/Edukate12 (new)

kate/Edukate12 | 183 comments I just finished mine and put it in the fridge for tomorrow. Also made a coffee cake. I've been on the go all day and now I'm ready to get in my recliner and chill.

Kate

message 45: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11631 comments Elsewhere i mentioned losing a recipe, which i sought online. Found it in seconds flat. Iirc, i added low sodium soy sauce to the "batter" instead of atop the 'cakes. I'm also thinking i didn't use the oil to cook them but can't recall for sure.

Ginger, Green Onion and Spaghetti Squash Pancakes

2 large eggs
3 cups cooked spaghetti squash
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 cup minced green onion (including tops)
2 tablespoons sald oil
Soy sauce

In a bowl, beat eggs to blend. Add squash, ginger, and green onion; mix gently.

Pour 1 tablespoon oil into a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan on medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add squash mixture in 1/4-cup mounds, spacing about 3 inches apart. With the back of a spoon, spread mounds to make cakes that are 3 inches in diameter.

Cook until golden brown on bottoms, 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully turn with a wide spatula and cook other sides until golden brown, about 2 minutes.

Transfer to a platter and keep warm. Repeat to cook remaining squash, adding oil as needed to promote browning. Add soy sauce to taste. Makes 12 pancakes, 3 main-dish or 6 vegetable servings.

Per pancake: 47 cal.; 1.4 g protein; 3.2 g fat (0.6 sat.); 3.2 g carbo.; 17 mg sodium; 35 mg chol.

deborah

message 46: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 730 comments How would these have browned without the oil?

Sounds yummy.

message 47: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11631 comments JoAnn, i'm not sure. I don't use oil for my pancakes, so i guess i figured these cakes would do alright, too. Not sure, though, as there wouldn't be any fat. I'm glad you mentioned that. :-)

deborah

message 48: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 730 comments Santa Fe Soup Food

from Food for Thought, a new cookbook put out by the Junior League of Birmingham.

2 lbs. ground beef or turkey
1 large onion, chopped
2 (.5 ounce) pkgs. dry Ranch-style dressing mix
2 (1 1/4 ounce) pkgs. taco seasoning mix
2 cups water
1 (16 ounce) can black beans, undrained
1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
2 (16 ounce) cans white corn, undrained
1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with chilis, undrained
1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes,undrained

Brown ground meat with chopped onion 'til meat is browned. Drain off fat. Add ranch dressing & taco seasoning mixes into meat, stir well, add water. Open the rest of the cans & dump in. Simmer for 2 hours. Can add more water if too thick.

Optional: Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, tortilla chips.

Will freeze well. Great to send back to college with students! Laura used to take a vat of this back to school and then the chef in their sorority house started making it for the house.

message 49: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 18836 comments When I make taco's or chili, I don't use meat I use Boca Crumbles.
http://www.bocaburger.com/products/cr...

Don't over cook them. Toss them in at the end, and cook maybe 5 min. to heat well. They have very little fat.(total fat .5, fiber 3, 10% iron, zero cholesterol, zero trans fat, zero saturated fat) I also usually don't use taco seasoning because so many are loaded with salt. I did find one, I forget the name, that had a little less. I use half a packet of that. Otherwise just use individual spices. Read the back of a taco packet to find out which ones, and omit the sodium. At other times I just use garlic and onion powder.

I also add a jar of Salsa sauce. The one I use comes with corn and black bean in it. I also make sure it is not loaded with salt. If the quality of the product is good, they don't need to camouflage it with sodium. I usually just add a can of Goya low sodium Kidney beans to the mix. And I sauté a lot of onions to add to the mix. If you can find refried beans that don't have added salt, they also are good to add to the mix.

It freezes well. And the next time you eat it, you can add low sodium chicken broth and you have yourself chili. :)

message 50: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (last edited Jan 17, 2010 02:27PM) (new)

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 730 comments Alias Reader wrote: "When I make taco's or chili, I don't use meat I use Boca Crumbles.
http://www.bocaburger.com/products/cr...

Sorry Alias, but YUCK!

And the salt is the best part of any recipe. LOL

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12