Between the Lines discussion

Archive > August 2009 Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Voted by the group is Interview with a Vampire! Yeah. Start posting your discussions!

message 2: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) I didn't know Interview with the Vampire is this month's book. Better read this one now.

message 3: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) I read this when I was in school and I remember really enjoying it. I think I read the book after this one, but I stopped after that. Definitely a good read.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 34 comments I was told that a person should read The Vampire Lestat book first to get a better feel for Interview with the Vampire.

message 5: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) but Interview of the Vampire came first before The Vampire Lestat...
anyway, who do you think is the more cooler Lestat? Is it Tom Cruise or Stewart Townsend (in the movie "Queen of the Damned")?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I would have to go with Stewart Townsend. Not a Cruise fan.....

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

My friends are huge Rice fans their son is named Lestat.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved the book. I need to read the other ones as I have only read Interview.....

message 9: by Kandice (last edited Aug 12, 2009 12:49PM) (new)

Kandice I've read every book by her, but they definitely go downhill after the first in a series. Lestat was almost as good as Interview. I loved The Witching Hour, but that whole series (Mayfair Witches) just sort of sucked a little more with each installment after the first.

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) LOL Emilee, I have a friend who loves Anne Rice too and she named one of her cats Lestat!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

That would be a good name for a cat. Oh a black cat!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read Mayfair Witches at all. Maybe I'll add those on my TBR later.

message 13: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) OMG'sh some how I didn't know we were reading this book...I have it and have been wanting to read it. Guess I better get on it...now to find where I put it...lol

message 14: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica Re-reading it now after almost a decade. I'd read most of Rice's other vampire books and nearly forgotten about Louis. Now I think he's my favorite. So sensitive. I may have to read them all now.

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen (jencroup) I read this book a coupld months ago and liked it, but it took me a long time to finish it...you really did have to pay attention to everything! I think I liked the movie better then the book though which doesn't happen very often. Someone comment on they heard you should read Vampire Lestat first and I could see why someone would say that. I read them both and it gives you a better idea why lestat did the things that he did and makes you like him a lot more. When I read Interview with the Vampire I could not stand Lestat and I thought he was pure evil which makes for good reading, but after the second book I loved him and felt really bad for him!! I have the third book sitting there waiting for my to read and I haven't picked it up yet...I have been in the mood for quick reads lately!

message 16: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica I don't think it makes a difference what order you read them. Interview was from Louis' perspective and as far as he was concerned Lestat was evil. His actual intentions don't make much a difference, especially if he didn't share them with Louis.

message 17: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I agree with LaTricia. It all depends on who is telling the story as to who we, the reader, will feel is evil. I love that Rice uses that. I actually think reading Interview first makes it all the more satisfying to later fall in love with Lestat. It's HARD to change a readers feelings about a character like that, but Rice does it.

message 18: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Em, I would strongly rec The Witching Hour, and even the next in the series, but after that they get a little...well, silly. I loved the first, though.

message 19: by Wild for Wilde (new)

Wild for Wilde (wildforwilde) | 17 comments LOVED this book, I think I read it in just a few days. I don't know about the others in the series, are they as good? Should I read them?

message 20: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I think the rest of the series goes downhill. I pretty much devoured them when I was younger, but even then...I knew none were as good as this. All of Rice's series seem to be that way for me. The Witching Hour was excellent, but the rest...not so much.

message 21: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica They're off/on. It would be worthwhile to read through the Queen of the Damned. After that the story doesn't seem to move forward. Just more focus on the individual vampires and their stories (many of which I enjoyed).

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I enjoyed both the literary and cinematic versions of this story.