Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2018] The "Close Call" and "Polarizing" Topics

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Oct 10, 2017 05:01AM) (new)

Laura | 3723 comments Mod
Close Calls

---First Mini-Poll---
- A game changer (a book that had an effect on society, people, a book genre, etc)
- A book picked off your TBR by a family member or a friend

---Second Mini-Poll---
- A book with less than 100 pages
- A book by a Nobel prize author
- A book with a fruit or a vegetable in the title

---Third Mini-Poll---
- A memoir written by a person from a country different than your own
- A book about feminism or with feminist themes.

---Fourth Mini-Poll---
- A book (fiction or nonfiction) about a subject that made headlines

---Fifth Mini-Poll---
- A book representing each of the four points on a compass (i.e. Title, Author, or Location)
- Three unrelated books that are linked only by having the same word in the title
- Three books set in three different centuries

---Sixth Mini-Poll---
- A book that takes place over the course of one day
- A book that has been controversial
- A book describing the experience of immigrants
- A book whose title or author's last name starts with Q, X, Y, or Z

---Seventh Mini-Poll---
- A book that is an Audie Award winner or nominee (any format)
- A book by an author who uses initials

---Eighth Mini-Poll---
- A book related to music (on the cover, in the title, or the subject)
- A book about something celestial or containing something celestial in the title or author's name. (moon, star, sun, planet, etc)

---Ninth Mini-Poll---
- A book that is set during the winter or in a snowy environment

---Tenth Mini-Poll---
- A book with a supernatural character (vampire, werewolf, witch/wizard, zombie, ghost, etc.)
- A book with an elderly person as a main character

---Eleventh Mini-Poll---
- No close calls

---Twelfth Mini-Poll---
- A book set in a place related to showbiz (i.e. theater, circus, movies, etc)
- A seasonal book

---Thirteenth Mini-Poll---
- A book with a celestial body as a part of the title or as part of the author name

---Fourteenth Mini-Poll---
- None

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Oct 10, 2017 05:02AM) (new)

Polarizing

---First Mini-Poll---
- A book about mental illness
- A book that at least one of the ATY mods has rated 5 stars

---Second Mini-Poll---
- None

---Third Mini-Poll---
- A book from Goodreads Top 100 Children's Books
- A book about feminism or with feminist themes
- A book set in a country that starts with the same letter your home country ends with
- A book that features a virus/plague/bacteria or other similar large scale outbreak or threat of illness

---Fourth Mini-Poll---
- A book written during the 19th century (1801-1900)
- A book that is part of a series of 5 or more books
- A book that's often assigned for a high school literature class
- Your book result from the Ultimate Flowchart For Finding Your Next Book

---Fifth Mini-Poll---
- None

---Sixth Mini-Poll---
- - A book that was made into a movie/TV show in the decade you were born
- A book about sex, drugs, or rock and roll
- An average book of your TBR (pages, publishing date or avg rating)

---Seventh Mini-Poll---
- A book, any genre, dealing with loss and grief (death, terminal illness, loss of pet, loss of home, divorce, etc)
- A chick-lit book

---Eighth Mini-Poll---
- None

---Ninth Mini-Poll---
- A book that you would associate with your favorite Hogwarts House
- A book involving advanced technology (computers, spaceships, robots, networks, etc)
- A memoir written by a person from a country different than your own
- A classic everybody has read except you
- A microhistory
- A true crime novel

---Tenth Mini-Poll---
- A classic everybody has read except you
- A cross-genre novel that combines fantasy with major elements of at least one other major genre (excluding umbrella terms like fiction or YA)
- An epic book or a book with an epic element

---Eleventh Mini-Poll---
- A book by an author who has published at least 30 fiction books or 10 non-fiction books
- A graphic novel
- A book with a supernatural character (vampire, werewolf, ghost, witch, etc.)
- A book about art or artists (fiction or nonfiction)
- A book with a title that is four letters or less in length (not including subtitles, punctuation, etc)

---Twelfth Mini-Poll---
- A book you chose by playing MASH (book edition) (Set categories, play MASH & read a book that fits the winning categories)

---Thirteenth Mini-Poll---
- A book published or set before 1900
- A book related to social justice (fiction or nonfiction)
- A book recommended by a famous person

---Fourteenth Mini-Poll---
- A book that you're reading as part of a reading group, buddy read, or Book of the Month (either in the AtY group or outside of it)
- A book about or involving the arts (visual arts [painting, sculpture, illustration, etc], performing arts [music, dance, theater, etc], literature, architecture, etc.)
- A book with less than 2018 ratings

message 3: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 782 comments Thanks, Laura!

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 354 comments There are almost enough (maybe after we finish voting on the current poll) to make a whole poll out of these, minus the multi-week prompts, or maybe refigure one or two to fit. I know lots of people don't want a close-calls-only or resubmits-only poll, I'm just making an observation.

I think there are a lot of great topics here! It would definitely be a challenge for me to narrow down to a top four from this list. I already know the prompts that would be in my bottom four, though, were a poll of these choices put to a vote.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 502 comments I really want the book about feminism and an alternate history to be resubmitted.

message 6: by Clare (new)

Clare (-clare-) | 85 comments I'd like to see alternate history and the one day topics given a second chance.

message 7: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 525 comments Ugh a few of these were in my bottoms. Hope they don't end up in the final list.

message 8: by Jillian (last edited Aug 21, 2017 08:01PM) (new)

Jillian | 782 comments I thought about resubmitting an alternate history for the last poll but I was waiting for more people to resubmit prompts first.

There are several prompts here that I voted for or would have voted for if I had more than 4 top votes. There are also a few that I'm really surprised that made the close call list, I thought they were closer to being in the bottom.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2314 comments I'm assuming by close call we're referring to the topics that were polarizing. I know I was in favour of a resubmissions poll, but looking at the list here, there were quite a few that I would not want. There are probably about as many that I would really want, but who knows which way the vote would go.

message 10: by Jillian (last edited Aug 21, 2017 08:16PM) (new)

Jillian | 782 comments Rachel, I don't think the close call list includes the ones that were polarizing. The ones that we in 4-6 (7 for the 6th poll).

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2314 comments Jillian wrote: "Rachel, I don't think the close call list includes the ones that were polarizing. The ones that we in 4-6 (7 for the 6th poll)."

Sorry, you're right! Some of the lists looked so familiar that I assumed they'd been highlighted in the results as polarizing. In any case, my previous comment still stands. Definitely makes me rethink the idea of having a "close calls" only poll.

message 12: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 782 comments I think since we have the close call list those of us who want to resubmit should just go ahead and add them to regular polls. I think that would make the most members happy. The discussion has been good though resubmitting know seems to feel more except able.

message 13: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 782 comments I'm also relived now that the first few polls just had a top 3.

message 14: by Katie, Heliocentric Mod (new)

Katie | 2440 comments Mod
It's interesting to me that game changer, controversial and headlines nearly almost made it. They have kind of a similar feel to me and I'd like to see something along these lines make the final list, though I'm not sure which one, and even though I didn't vote for any of these topics, haha.

message 15: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 948 comments I would not want to vote on this list, because there are more than 4 that I'm really excited about. Also more than 4 that I want nothing to do with!

message 16: by Marie (new)

Marie | 447 comments There's a lot more on that list that I put in my bottom four than in my top!

It's really surprising to see game changer did so well in the first poll, when it didn't even manage to get seconded in this most recent round of submissions.

message 17: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Aug 22, 2017 10:10AM) (new)

I was surprised by a few of them when I compiled the list, particularly the game changer and controversial topics.

But yes, Rachel, these are the close calls, excluding the polarizing topics. Even though this year has been less patterned than last year, there still has been a fairly predictable grouping so there's definitely essentially five groups: the top, the near-top, the near-bottom, and the bottom. Typically there's a good amount of space between the near-top and the near-bottom. Then the polarizing.

message 18: by Angie (new)

Angie | 429 comments There are a couple of these that I really like, and a couple that I would not want at all. Most of them... I'm lukewarm about.

message 19: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1178 comments Many of my tops are in the list! It's good to know that at least they were "close call" :D

message 20: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2414 comments I also was thinking the resubmit poll would be the polarizing topics, not these. I don't feel strongly about any of these really.

message 21: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Personally, I would suggestion holding off a poll devoted to resubmissions. I think we'v had enough resubmitted that people are learning that they can resubmit. Especially if "own voices" wins this time. I just question if it's a lot of room for resubmission if we allow them in the regular polls, plus do a devoted poll. Especially since enough members seem to be unimpressed with the overall list of close calls.

message 22: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 3384 comments I totally agree!

message 23: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 525 comments I totally agree!

message 24: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 263 comments Question: A book from Goodreads Top 100 Children's Books
does that mean... ? taking a book from this list:
https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/6...
or this list:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8...
for number 34 for 2018 aty?