LitRPG Forum discussion

D. Wolfin
This topic is about D. Wolfin
FIRST

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicity, Reading Is My Cardio (last edited Jul 17, 2017 02:24PM) (new)

Felicity | 118 comments Mod
Aha! I hereby claim this post as being the very first in this new group.

My favorite LitRPG author is and always will be D. Wolfin as he was my very first and I happen to think his stories are excellent. Notice me senpai! 👋

A bit about me and why I like LitRPG. Due to moving to an extremely rural area and going from FIOS to the worst internet connection imaginable, I had to quit raiding in WoW and now I miss gaming like no other. I suspect this is the main reason I picked up my first LitRPG book ... I won't tell you where because then you'd jeer at me >.>

So, ever since, I've been a goner for the genre. Like a junkie getting my fix. More, more, MOAR. 😍

This kinda turned into an introductory post, so uh, hi. Nice to meet you :-)

Any other End Online/Chronicle of the Eternal fans?

message 2: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (3DCat) | 1 comments I'm at least a year or so behind on End Online.. really need to fix that.

Haven't checked out Chronicle of the Eternal yet though.

My novel intake can be insane at times, its to the point where the release of LitRPG stuff can't keep up and I frequently need to jump into 1000+ chapter wuxia/xianxia novels.

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Schinhofen | 9 comments Prefer Chronicle to End.

message 4: by Felicity, Reading Is My Cardio (last edited Jul 15, 2017 02:16PM) (new)

Last I heard from his blog, D. Wolfin was suffering from depression which is why his writing and publishing schedule went on hiatus. Thankfully, he's on the way to recovery.

DJ, I know he is working on Chronicle because he's been posting chapter updates. Hooray for that!

3dCat, his one book in the CotE series is rated slightly higher than End Online so I would say it is definitely worth checking out.

message 5: by David Ribeiro (new)

David Ribeiro | 1 comments End Online was my gateway drug into LitRPG. The writing style took some getting used to, but by the end of the second book I almost found it endearing. Very excited about Vol. 7.

message 6: by Felicity, Reading Is My Cardio (new)

David Ribeiro wrote: "End Online was my gateway drug into LitRPG. The writing style took some getting used to, but by the end of the second book I almost found it endearing. Very excited about Vol. 7."

Yes, yes! This. So much this. Siphoned the words right outta my mouth. You must be my Goodreads kindred spirit. =)

message 7: by Charles (new)

Charles Franklin | 1 comments Hello and thanks for the invite. I always say that my first LitRPG was Ready Player One but many don't count that in the genre. So my first legitimate LitRPG was probably AlterWorld by D. Runs. Since then I have listened to the first 3, The Way of the Shaman books by Vasily Mahanenko. And The Land: Foubdling by Aleron Kong. I love how fresh this genre is with lots of new authors popping up.

message 8: by Hamda (new)

Hamda (Kidlike) | 23 comments Like Charles my introduction to the genre was Ready Player One and to this day my fav.

I don't care if others don't count it, that book is amazing!

Since then I went more classic Sci-fi (1984, Fahrenheit 451, ender's game) before I tried the more modern litrpg sub genre this year.

My fav. were the SS & S books by Drew Hayes (NPCs)
the Divine dungeon series by Dakota Krout
The way of the shaman by Vasily (only the first two books)

I love how little gems are littered throughout this new genre, everything has a more modern take on it and it delights me to get a few of the more obscure references in there since I loved jRPG as a teen.
I'm hoping to get introduced to more interesting reads through this forum as I'm pretty new to this genre.

message 9: by Russ Stebbins (new)

Russ Stebbins | 1 comments Charles wrote: "Hello and thanks for the invite. I always say that my first LitRPG was Ready Player One but many don't count that in the genre. So my first legitimate LitRPG was probably AlterWorld by D. Runs. Sin..."

I went somewhat in the same author order. Start with the Russians, then ready one, then Aleron. From there I have been all over depending on the freshest release.

message 11: by Arne (new)

Arne Bergersen | 1 comments Hi all.
I just got an invite to this forum and quickly joined. I'm new to the litrpg genre, but have (as I guess many others) read fantasy novels for years.
My first book was taken in as an audio book "The Land: Founding" and I just loved it. I'm now looking for tips and hits on other books to choose as my reading-friends not read this genre at all.
I've been a gamer since my Commodore 64 in the 80's and have played numerous RPG's that I guess fueled my imagination over the years. Getting into litrpg is really enjoyable.
Be well met, friends.

message 12: by Tony (new)

Tony | 4 comments Arne wrote: "Hi all.
I just got an invite to this forum and quickly joined. I'm new to the litrpg genre, but have (as I guess many others) read fantasy novels for years.
My first book was taken in as an audio..."

Welcome to the group Arne !

The Land:Founding is a great series, I think the second book is now on audio and there are about 6 our on e-book (I had to continue the series since every book ends on a cliffhanger). As some others have mentioned I would recommend checking out The Way of the Shaman series, especially if you like The Land

message 13: by Chuck (new)

Chuck McIntyre (jithrae) | 21 comments Hi!

I didn't even know there was a thing called LitRPG until my second or third book in the genre.

My first (not counting Ready Player One)was Awaken Online: Catharsis, which somehow lead me to The Gam3, which lead me to The Game.

Since then I've been distractedly looking for more. This thread is great source material, so thanks for that.

Is there anything close to a canonical list of undisputed (or at least, very rarely disputed) must reads in the genre?

I keep looking at recommendation engines, but I can't commit. I've been hurt before? Something like that anyway.

message 14: by GaiusPrimus (new)

GaiusPrimus | 76 comments Check the group bookshelf and look at ratings.

Fairly good indicator.

But I would check Ascend Online, Ressurgence, Alterworld, Hero of Thera and Dakota Krout's dungeon books.

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin | 3 comments As with a few other members, I was introduced to the genre by the russians. My recent favourite read however is , The Gam3

message 16: by GaiusPrimus (new)

GaiusPrimus | 76 comments That was Hero of Thera on my previous post.

That's what I get for doing one too many things at once.

message 17: by Felicity, Reading Is My Cardio (last edited Aug 14, 2017 06:47PM) (new)

Chuck wrote: "Is there anything close to a canonical list of undisputed (or at least, very rarely disputed) must reads in the genre?"
The only series I can recommend with 100 percent confidence in answer to this question is The Way of the Shaman series. Survival Quest

As for the hit or misses, everyone's tastes slightly differ, so you are kinda on your own in finding what works for you. I can enjoy a LitRPG with quality issues as long as it hits the right notes for me.

message 18: by GaiusPrimus (new)

GaiusPrimus | 76 comments Boo! Way of the shaman!

message 19: by Felicity, Reading Is My Cardio (new)

GaiusPrimus wrote: "Boo! Way of the shaman!"
=P =P =P